Your body is a chemical wonder, filled with hormone interactions, energy creation and consumption as well as purification. When we consume foods that are difficult to process, our livers work overtime and might need the help of a detox on occasion. Vinegar and Epsom salts have been used for centuries as healing methods and are great sources of detoxification.
Epsom Salt Bath
Many people have used Epsom salts for years to relieve aches and pains--primarily caused by uric acid build up in muscles. By adding one to two cups of Epsom salts to a hot bath and soaking for 20 minutes, tired feet and back aches find great relief. You don't need to be filled with aches and pains to benefit from an Epsom salt detox bath.
If you are soaking in an Epsom salt bath for more than 20 minutes, you might become very tired--even exhausted--as your body is working to release metals, minerals and toxins not needed. The bath might become quite murky as result of what is being released. This should subside as you do the detox more frequently. Adding ginger, baking soda or sesame oil can help reduce pain, counter radiation effects and improve skin health.
- Many people have used Epsom salts for years to relieve aches and pains--primarily caused by uric acid build up in muscles.
- If you are soaking in an Epsom salt bath for more than 20 minutes, you might become very tired--even exhausted--as your body is working to release metals, minerals and toxins not needed.
Safe Use of Epsom Salt in Jet Tubs
If your body is too acidic, you might develop skin conditions such as acne, eczema or rashes. You can use vinegar to soothe these conditions and restore your skin's pH balance to a more alkaline state. Apple cider vinegar is the most popular vinegar used, but you can experience excellent results from white vinegar as well 1. Add one cup to two quarts of vinegar to a hot bath. This will also alleviate pain from arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis and gout by also helping eliminate excess uric acid.
- If your body is too acidic, you might develop skin conditions such as acne, eczema or rashes.
- Apple cider vinegar is the most popular vinegar used, but you can experience excellent results from white vinegar as well 1.
Vinegar as Dietary Aid
Consuming vinegar is another way to aid in a total body detox 1. Many people will consume a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar before a meal to help the digestive process 1. Others will make a tea with honey and herbs. You can also use apple cider vinegar in cooking with salad dressings, marinades and pickling spices 1. The vinegar helps maintain proper pH levels in the stomach and digestive tract.
Kidney Detox Symptoms
When you detox, your body first must release toxins that are stored in your fat cells. As it does this, the toxins within your body will make you feel worse than you did before starting a detox--especially if you have never done one before or don't do them regularly. You might feel as if you are coming down with the flu. This is common, but know that continuing with the baths will help your body eliminate the toxins quicker.
- When you detox, your body first must release toxins that are stored in your fat cells.
- As it does this, the toxins within your body will make you feel worse than you did before starting a detox--especially if you have never done one before or don't do them regularly.
Vinegar, Epsom Salts and Diet
Although you will benefit from using detox baths and adding vinegar as a supplement, you will greatly improve your results if you limit your diet during the detox period to organic foods, primarily fresh fruits and vegetables along with at least two liters of water each day 1. Try not to consume caffeine, nicotine or alcohol when detoxing to help your body really flush toxins out. By doing this, you will increase your energy and improve your metabolism.
Safe Use of Epsom Salt in Jet Tubs
Kidney Detox Symptoms
Can You Detox the Liver With Lemon and Olive Oil?
Natural Ways to Cleanse the Liver, Kidneys & Colon
Safe Natural Ways to Detox Your Digestive System
How to Detox Aluminum From the Body
How to Tell if You Are Getting Rid of Toxins Out of Your Body
How to Drink Epsom Salts for a Detox
How to Detox With Vinegar
Signs a Person is Detoxing Too Fast
- Apple Cider Vinegar Detox
- Shishehbor F, Mansoori A, Shirani F. Vinegar consumption can attenuate postprandial glucose and insulin responses; a systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2017;127:1-9. doi:10.1016/j.diabres.2017.01.021
- Kondo T, Kishi M, Fushimi T, Ugajin S, Kaga T. Vinegar intake reduces body weight, body fat mass, and serum triglyceride levels in obese Japanese subjects. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73(8):1837-43. doi:10.1271/bbb.90231
- Mohammad P, Mojtaba H, Mohammad N. Successful treatment of chronic scalp seborrheic dermatitis using traditional Persian medicine: a case report and literature review. Galen Med J. 2017;6:157-9. doi:10.22086/GMJ.V6I2.706
- Yagnik D, Serafin V, J Shah A. Antimicrobial activity of apple cider vinegar against Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus and Candida albicans; downregulating cytokine and microbial protein expression. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):1732. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-18618-x
- Atik D, Atik C, Karatepe C. The effect of external apple vinegar application on varicosity symptoms, pain, and social appearance anxiety: a randomized controlled trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:6473678. doi:10.1155/2016/6473678
- Chang J, Han SE, Paik SS, Kim YJ. Corrosive esophageal injury due to a commercial vinegar beverage in an adolescent. Clin Endosc. 2019 Aug;2019:ce.2019.066. doi:10.5946/ce.2019.066
- Biswal B. Drug-excipient interaction study for apple cider vinegar with 20 potential excipients using modern analytical techniques. Asian J Pharma. 2016;2016:107. doi:10.22377/ajp.v10i1.530
With more than 15 years of professional writing experience, Kimberlee finds it fun to take technical mumbo-jumbo and make it fun! Her first career was in financial services and insurance.