Apple cider vinegar and cinnamon are two home remedies that have long been used to drop excess pounds 13. Apple cider vinegar works to reduce appetite, increase metabolism and help prevent water retention, while cinnamon reduces cholesterol and maintains a healthy blood sugar level 13. Both of these items can be found at health food stores, and can be used as daily supplements.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is used for a multitude of ailments, as well as an aid to drop a few pounds 1. This form of vinegar is created from double fermentation of apples, and should be pure to retain as many of the important nutrients and vitamins found within it. Look for apple cider vinegar that is unpasteurized and unfiltered in health food and grocery stores, as well as online 1.
To use apple cider vinegar to lose weight, take 1 to 2 tsp 1. mixed with an 8 oz. glass of water before eating each meal. You may also add 1 or 2 tsp. of pure honey to the drink for a less acidic taste. Apple cider vinegar is not meant to drop excess weight rapidly, but rather assist in losing weight slowly and gradually 1.
The acetic acid found in apple cider vinegar increases your metabolism 1. This can cause your body to burn more calories, leading to weight loss. Amino acids found in apple cider vinegar also help to suppress the appetite, as well as improve digestion 1. Finally, potassium found in the vinegar counteracts the effects of sodium, reducing the amount of water you retain.
- Apple cider vinegar is used for a multitude of ailments, as well as an aid to drop a few pounds 1.
- Finally, potassium found in the vinegar counteracts the effects of sodium, reducing the amount of water you retain.
Does Cinnamon Increase or Decrease the Appetite?
Cinnamon may be used in its natural form or as supplements 3. Health benefits from cinnamon include boosting the immune system, losing weight, improving heart health and skin appearance 23. Cinnamon helps to maintain existing levels of healthy cholesterol, while effectively lowering harmful levels 3.
Used as a weight-loss supplement, cinnamon is thought to be a thermogenic, which means that it increases internal body heat, thus speeding up the metabolism 3. Once the metabolism increases, extra calories are burned through the thermogenic process, resulting in weight loss over time when combined with a healthy diet and exercise program.
Cinnamon is also helpful against fighting obesity, because it helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and reduce the effects of insulin resistance 3. To create a cinnamon drink for daily weight loss, combine 1 tsp 3. of cinnamon powder or two sticks with a glass of room-temperature water and an optional 1 tsp 3. of honey 2. Drink it first thing in the morning, before breakfast and at night before bed each day. Honey is a natural sweetener that contains cancer-fighting antioxidants and helps soothe digestion.
- Cinnamon may be used in its natural form or as supplements 3.
- Cinnamon is also helpful against fighting obesity, because it helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and reduce the effects of insulin resistance 3.
Does Cinnamon Increase or Decrease the Appetite?
How to Use Honey and Cinnamon to Lose Weight
Is it Okay to Take Cinnamon Tablets While Pregnant?
Cinnamon Health Benefits
Supplements to Lower Blood Sugar
Cinnamon Allergy Symptoms
Garlic for High Triglycerides
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss
Vitamins & Minerals in Cinnamon
Tribulus Terrestris & Weight Loss
- Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits
- Honey & Cinnamon Benefits
- Shishehbor F, Mansoori A, Shirani F. Vinegar consumption can attenuate postprandial glucose and insulin responses; a systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical trials. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2017;127:1-9. doi:10.1016/j.diabres.2017.01.021
- Kondo T, Kishi M, Fushimi T, Ugajin S, Kaga T. Vinegar intake reduces body weight, body fat mass, and serum triglyceride levels in obese Japanese subjects. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73(8):1837-43. doi:10.1271/bbb.90231
- Mohammad P, Mojtaba H, Mohammad N. Successful treatment of chronic scalp seborrheic dermatitis using traditional Persian medicine: a case report and literature review. Galen Med J. 2017;6:157-9. doi:10.22086/GMJ.V6I2.706
- Yagnik D, Serafin V, J Shah A. Antimicrobial activity of apple cider vinegar against Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus and Candida albicans; downregulating cytokine and microbial protein expression. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):1732. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-18618-x
- Atik D, Atik C, Karatepe C. The effect of external apple vinegar application on varicosity symptoms, pain, and social appearance anxiety: a randomized controlled trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:6473678. doi:10.1155/2016/6473678
- Chang J, Han SE, Paik SS, Kim YJ. Corrosive esophageal injury due to a commercial vinegar beverage in an adolescent. Clin Endosc. 2019 Aug;2019:ce.2019.066. doi:10.5946/ce.2019.066
- Biswal B. Drug-excipient interaction study for apple cider vinegar with 20 potential excipients using modern analytical techniques. Asian J Pharma. 2016;2016:107. doi:10.22377/ajp.v10i1.530