How to Treat Hair Loss by Strengthening Your Kidneys
When people first experience hair loss , they normally look at their hormone levels or at the thyroid as the possible culprit. Although such imbalances could cause hair loss, according to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), kidney deficiencies can lead to various health problems, one of which is hair loss. Chinese practitioners believe that inadequate nutrition or prolonged, severe stress could lead to a kidney deficiency, which in turn would manifest itself in an array of symptoms, including hair loss. However, it's possible to strengthen the kidneys and treat the symptoms. Here's how.
Understand that TCM views the kidneys as the source of energy for the entire body. The condition of the kidneys determines a person's youthfulness. On the other hand, a kidney deficiency reveals itself in premature symptoms such as hair loss, gray hair, back and knee pain, as well as vision problems.
Pork Kidney Nutrition
Realize that there are two types of kidney deficiencies. One results from factors such as poor diet, prolonged stress and overwork. The other type is an inherited weakness, both involve a deficiency of energy in the kidneys (kidney essence).
Replenish your kidney essence with herbal supplements such as He Shou Wu (Foti). Your hair loss will diminish as your kidney deficiency corrects ifself. Other effective supplements are Lycium and Cuscuta seed.
Can You Strengthen Your Kidneys?
Consider acupuncture treatments to strengthen your kidney meridian (energy pathway) and correct your kidney deficiency as well as treat your hair loss. The acupuncturist may correct the problem with acupuncture treatments alone or use a combination of acupuncture and herbs.
Include plenty of vegetables in your diet. Vegetables will provide the needed nutrition for hair gowth and take the load off the kidneys. Preferably, stir-fry your vegetables in olive oil. According to TCM, eating too many cold foods can add stress to the spleen and lead to an energy imbalance.
Walk regularly to promote blood circulation to your organs and the scalp, which will keep the chi body energy) flowing smoothly and restore balance. Moxibustion therapy (involves the burning of wormwood) is also effective in restoring the energy balance
Focus on the positive things in your life. Practice stress management techniques. It's important to take unnecessary burden off your kidneys. Depending on the extent of the hair loss, it may take up to a few months to see results. Others may notice improvement in a matter of weeks.
Chinese medicine practitioners report positive results in the treatment of hair loss. Some patients respond more quickly and others take longer. A person needs determination to continue the treatments and follow the practitioner's suggestions. Individuals that seek acupuncture treatment for one condition often experience improvement in multiple symptoms. The reason is that each meridian affects multiple organs. Balancing and strengthening a meridian results in correcting multiple problems.
Avoid red meat, processed foods and preservatives.
Pork Kidney Nutrition
Can You Strengthen Your Kidneys?
Acupuncture & Hair Growth
Herbal Teas for Kidney Disorders
Supplements to Help the Spleen
Limping & Back Pain
Acupuncture & Hormone Balance
Kidney Tumor Symptoms
The Location & Symptoms of Kidney Pain
Acupressure for Libido
- Fabbrocini G, Cantelli M, Masarà A, Annunziata MC, Marasca C, Cacciapuoti S. Female pattern hair loss: A clinical, pathophysiologic, and therapeutic review. Int J Womens Dermatol. 2018;4(4):203-211. doi:10.1016/j.ijwd.2018.05.001
- Mirmirani P. Managing hair loss in midlife women. Maturitas. 2013;74(2):119-22. doi:10.1016/j.maturitas.2012.10.020
- Trost LB, Bergfeld WF, Calogeras E. The diagnosis and treatment of iron deficiency and its potential relationship to hair loss. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006;54(5):824-44. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2005.11.1104
- Park SY, Na SY, Kim JH, Cho S, Lee JH. Iron plays a certain role in patterned hair loss. J Korean Med Sci. 2013;28(6):934-8. doi:10.3346/jkms.2013.28.6.934
- Guo EL, Katta R. Diet and hair loss: effects of nutrient deficiency and supplement use. Dermatol Pract Concept. 2017;7(1):1-10. doi:10.5826/dpc.0701a01
- Vincent M, Yogiraj K. A Descriptive Study of Alopecia Patterns and their Relation to Thyroid Dysfunction. Int J Trichology. 2013;5(1):57-60. doi:10.4103/0974-7753.114701
- Davis SR, Castelo-branco C, Chedraui P, et al. Understanding weight gain at menopause. Climacteric. 2012;15(5):419-29. doi:10.3109/13697137.2012.707385
- Gupta AK, Charrette A. Topical Minoxidil: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Its Efficacy in Androgenetic Alopecia. Skinmed. 2015;13(3):185-9.
- American Academy of Dermatology. Thinning hair and hair loss: Could it be female pattern hair loss?
- Harvard Health Publications. Treating female pattern hair loss - Harvard health.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. Female pattern baldness.
- Chinese medicine practitioners report positive results in the treatment of hair loss. Some patients respond more quickly and others take longer. A person needs determination to continue the treatments and follow the practitioner's suggestions.
- Individuals that seek acupuncture treatment for one condition often experience improvement in multiple symptoms. The reason is that each meridian affects multiple organs. Balancing and strengthening a meridian results in correcting multiple problems.
- Avoid red meat, processed foods and preservatives.
This article was written by a professional writer, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more, see our about us page: link below.