What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How to Treat Face Numbness and Tingling
Numbness and tingling in the face has various causes 12. Trauma or disease that affects nerves in the face, medications, alcohol abuse and vitamin deficiency may all contribute to facial numbness and tingling. Treating the condition involves determining the cause of symptoms. Treatment begins with a visit to your doctor to discuss your medical history and symptoms so that he can start a treatment plan.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Call your doctor as soon as numbness and tingling occurs 1. Your doctor reviews your symptoms and medical history to determine treatment options.
Causes of a Sore Tongue
Take the medications your doctor may recommend or prescribe. Tricyclic antidepressants block nerve messages sent to the brain and may ease numbness and tingling in the face. Anti-seizure medications may also be prescribed to alter the body's perception of pain and decrease tingling in the face.
Take vitamin B supplements daily. A deficiency in vitamin B-12 is associated with an increased risk of numbness in the body according to the Mayo Clinic.
Stocking & Glove Neuropathy
See a physical or occupational therapist for ways to cope with or alleviate facial numbness and tingling. An occupational therapist can help you learn how to deal with facial numbness that may be affecting your eating or drinking. She can teach you exercises to help you do these ordinary actions more easily. A physical therapist can teach you massage techniques with creams and ointments that may relieve numbness and tingling.
If your doctor determines that your facial numbness and tingling is caused by a disease such as diabetes, treating the disease should reduce symptoms in the face. Keep your blood sugar under control if diabetic neuropathy is the cause. Avoid alcohol consumption if you drink heavily because it may also contribute to facial symptoms. Talk to your doctor about the medications you are taking because they may cause adverse effects regarding your facial nerves.
See your doctor immediately if pain or numbness moves to other parts of your body. This may be an indication of a more serious medical condition, such as a stroke.
Causes of a Sore Tongue
Stocking & Glove Neuropathy
Alleviating Side Effects of Haldol
Asperger Physical Exercises
B12 & Sciatic Nerve Pain
Can Vitamins Help Control Excessive Sweating?
Allergy & Itchy Hands and Feet
Does Vitamin B-12 Cause OCD to Be Worse?
Non-Diabetic Neuropathy Symptoms
How to Use Citalopram & B Complex Vitamins Together
- HealthHype.com: Causes of Tingling and Numbness – Paresthesia
- MayoClinic.com: Numbness: Causes
- Klein JP. Imaging of progressive weakness or numbness of central or peripheral origin. Handb Clin Neurol. 2016;136:923-37. doi:10.1016/B978-0-444-53486-6.00047-8
- Bracker MD, Ralph LP. The numb arm and hand. Am Fam Physician. 1995;51(1):103-16.
- Wipperman J, Goerl K. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Diagnosis and Management. Am Fam Physician. 2016;94(12):993-999.
- Mellion M, Gilchrist JM, De La Monte S. Alcohol-related peripheral neuropathy: nutritional, toxic, or both? Muscle Nerve. 2011;43(3):309-16. doi:10.1002/mus.21946
- Cohen KR, Salbu RL, Frank J, Israel I. Presentation and management of herpes zoster (shingles) in the geriatric population. P T. 2013;38(4):217-27.
- Halperin JJ. Chronic Lyme disease: misconceptions and challenges for patient management. Infect Drug Resist. 2015;8:119-28. doi:10.2147/IDR.S66739
- Okazaki T, Shinagawa S, Mikage H. Vasculitis syndrome-diagnosis and therapy. J Gen Fam Med. 2017;18(2):72-78. doi:10.1002/jgf2.4
- Saint-lary O, Rébois A, Mediouni Z, Descatha A. Carpal tunnel syndrome: primary care and occupational factors. Front Med (Lausanne). 2015;2:28. doi:10.3389/fmed.2015.00028
- England JD, Gronseth GS, Franklin G, et al. Evaluation of Distal Symmetric Polyneuropathy: the Role of Laboratory and Genetic Testing (an Evidence-Based Review). Muscle Nerve 2009; 39:116.
- Gilman, S, Newman, SW. Manter and Gatz's Essentials of Clinical Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology, 8, FA Davis, Philadelphia 1992.
- Patten J. Neurological Differential Diagnosis, 2nd, Springer, New York 1996.
- If your doctor determines that your facial numbness and tingling is caused by a disease such as diabetes, treating the disease should reduce symptoms in the face. Keep your blood sugar under control if diabetic neuropathy is the cause. Avoid alcohol consumption if you drink heavily because it may also contribute to facial symptoms. Talk to your doctor about the medications you are taking because they may cause adverse effects regarding your facial nerves.
- See your doctor immediately if pain or numbness moves to other parts of your body. This may be an indication of a more serious medical condition, such as a stroke.
Constance Barker, located in the hills of southern Ohio, is the owner and writer of several financial, credit report and travel websites. She started writing in 1999 for private clients and began creating website content in 2004. She gained expertise in home improvement after she and her husband built their home themselves.