The heat wave is having a very unusual effect on this male organ
Summer bloating may be unpleasant for most, but some men are enjoying a very welcome type of swelling in a certain part of their bodies. Need us to spell it out for you? A few men are claiming they have “summer penis,” a phenomenon in which their penises grow larger during the warm season.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
From the worst heat wave of the year in the Northeast U.S. to four consecutive days of record-high temperatures in Dallas-Fort Worth, extreme heat this month has left some internet users wondering whether the weather is affecting their nether regions.
Debate around the legitimacy of the “summer penis” was spurred a few years ago when one Reddit user created a thread, writing [grammar and spelling mistakes left in for authenticity], "Anybody notices size fluctuation during the year? I know mine is bigger, i have better erections in the summer and i also tend more to of a shower instead of a grower. In the winter, it is the exact contrary. Why is that? More heat= Better bloodflow? Does that happen to you guys also?"
A few users chimed in, relating to the poster’s experience and providing a few theories as to why this might be happening. One cited homeostasis, which is the process by which the body maintains a stable temperature throughout various conditions, while another said the summer only affects his testicles, causing them to sag lower than normal.
So what, if anything, actually happens? LIVESTRONG.COM spoke to Orlando urologist Jamin Brahmbhatt, M.D., to get insight on this seasonal occurrence. It turns out, those who speculated that “summer penis” is a result of homeostasis were on to something.
Dr. Brahmbhatt says that in order to regulate the body’s internal temperature, capillaries, or small blood vessels, in the skin open up to expel heat in a process called vasodilation. This can cause your skin to get slightly looser and take on a different color or tone.
“When you scratch yourself or you get a mosquito bite, you notice the whole area gets red,” he says. “That’s basically the capillaries in that area opening up. And when they open up, they’re going to look a different color."
The same thing happens throughout your body when it needs to expel heat, possibly causing the skin around a man’s penis to look thicker and looser. The opposite happens when it’s cold, which is why a penis may look smaller in the winter. Ultimately, according to Dr. Brahmbhatt, there is no actual change in the size of things down there when summer comes around. Sorry, guys.
“Summer penis” may be an optical illusion, but there is one very real benefit — the boost in confidence that comes with believing your junk just got an upgrade. So if you think your penis gets bigger in the summer and that makes you happy, then by all means, go on with your bad self.
What Do YOU Think?
Do you or someone you know experience “summer penis”? Do you think that “summer penis” is a thing, or do you think its all in men’s heads? Share in the comments section!
How to Recover From Hernia Surgery
How Hot Does it Have to Be Outside to Get a Tan?
Cause of Skin Goosebumps
Holding in Your Pee Is Now a Trend: Here's Why It's Dangerous
Psychology of Cheating Women
Brown Spotting After Menopause
Can Crunches Tighten up Loose Skin From Weight Loss?
Menopause & Cold Flashes
How to Tell the Difference Between Bug Bites
About the Causes of Rectal Bleeding During Menstruation
- Marra G, Drury A, Tran L, Veale D, Muir GH. Systematic review of surgical and nonsurgical interventions in normal men complaining of small penis size. Sex Med Rev. 2019;2019:S2050-0521(19)30012-5. doi:10.1016/j.sxmr.2019.01.004
- Hatipoğlu N, Kurtoğlu S. Micropenis: etiology, diagnosis and treatment approaches. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol. 2013;5(4):217-23. doi:10.4274/Jcrpe.1135
- Karavalos S, Stewart J, Evbuomwan, McEleny K, Aird I. Assessment of the infertile male. TOG. 2013 Jan;15(1):1-9. doi:10.1111/j.1744-4667.2012.00145.x
- Kim SO, Ryu KH, Hwang IS, Jung SI, Oh KJ, Park K. Penile growth in response to human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) treatment in patients with idiopathic hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism. Chonnam Med J. 2011;47(1):39-42. doi:10.4068/cmj.2011.47.1.39
- Van der Horst HJ, De Wall LL. Hypospadias, all there is to know. Eur J Pediatr. 2017;176(4):435-41. doi:10.1007/s00431-017-2864-5
- Egydio PH, Kuehhas FE, Sansalone S. Penile length and girth restoration in severe Peyronie's disease using circular and longitudinal grafting. BJU Int. 2013;111(4 Pt B):E213-9. doi:10.1111/j.1464-410X.2012.11582.x
- Kwon YS, Farber N, Yu JW, et al. Longitudinal recovery patterns of penile length and the underexplored benefit of long-term phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor use after radical prostatectomy. BMC Urol. 2018;18(1):37. doi:10.1186/s12894-018-0341-8
- King IC, Tahir A, Ramanathan C, Siddiqui H. Buried penis: evaluation of outcomes in children and adults, modification of a unified treatment algorithm, and review of the literature. ISRN Urol. 2013;2013:109349. doi:10.1155/2013/109349
- Prause N, Park J, Leung S, Miller G. Women's preferences for penis size: a new research method using selection among 3D models. PLoS ONE. 2015;10(9):e0133079. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0133079
- Veale D, Miles S, Read J, et al. Penile dysmorphic disorder: development of a screening scale. Arch Sex Behav. 2015;44(8):2311-21. doi:10.1007/s10508-015-0484-6
- Oderda M, Gontero P. Non-invasive methods of penile lengthening: fact or fiction?. BJU Int. 2011;107(8):1278-82. doi:10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.09647.x
- Oates J, Sharp G. Nonsurgical medical penile girth augmentation: Experience-based recommendations. Aesthet Surg J. 2017;37(9):1032-8. doi:10.1093/asj/sjx068
- Bescós R, Sureda A, Tur JA, Pons A. The effect of nitric-oxide-related supplements on human performance. Sports Med. 2012;42(2):99-117. doi:10.2165/11596860-000000000-00000
- Usta MF, Ipekci T. Penile traction therapy for Peyronie's disease - what's the evidence?. Transl Androl Urol. 2016;5(3):303-9. doi:10.21037/tau.2016.03.25
- Ahmed U, Freeman A, Kirkham A, Ralph DJ, Minhas S, Muneer A. Self injection of foreign materials into the penis. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017;99(2):e78-e82. doi:10.1308/rcsann.2016.0346
- Campbell J, Gillis J. A review of penile elongation surgery. Transl Androl Urol. 2017;6(1):69-78. doi:10.21037/tau.2016.11.19
- Xu L, Zhao M, Chen W, et al. Augmentation phalloplasty with autologous dermal fat graft in the treatment of small penis. Ann Plast Surg. 2016 Feb;77(Suppl 1):S60-5. doi:10.1097/SAP.0000000000000782
- Srinivas BV, Vasan SS, Mohammed S. Penile lengthening procedure with V-Y advancement flap and an interposing silicone sheath: a novel methodology. Indian J Urol. 2012;28(3):340-2. doi:10.4103/0970-1591.102722
- Anandan L, Mohammed A. Surgical management of buried penis in adults. Cent European J Urol. 2018;71(3):346-52. doi:10.5173/ceju.2018.1676
- Egydio PH, Kuehhas FE. Penile lengthening and widening without grafting according to a modified 'sliding' technique. BJU Int. 2015;116(6):965-72. doi:10.1111/bju.13065
- Loreto C, Garaffa G, Dijnovic R, Barbagli G, Villa M, Sansalone S. Penile disassembly: anatomical surgical steps. BJU Int. 2013;112(7):1035-45. doi:10.1111/bju.12413
- Rodriguez KM, Kohn TP, Davis AB, Hakky TS. Penile implants: a look into the future. Transl Androl Urol. 2017;6(Suppl 5):S860-S866. doi:10.21037/tau.2017.05.28
- Chauhan NS, Sharma V, Dixit VK, Thakur M. A review on plants used for improvement of sexual performance and virility. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:868062. doi:10.1155/2014/868062
Cathleen Krueger is a freelance writer who specializes in health, wellness, celebrity, entertainment, tech and gaming.