Plants may be found on land or in water, but their growth depends on the nutrient level of their environment, notes the Missouri Botanical Garden 1. Only a steady source of nutrition can keep plants growing. Interestingly, several of the same vitamins crucial to human development also affect plant health and growth.
Vitamin B12 helps microscopic plants grow underwater, states the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution 2. Single-celled marine life can manufacture its own vitamin B12, unlike plants and animals, which must obtain it from outside sources. In 2005, researchers collected water samples in the Ross Sea, near Antarctica. They found that adding vitamin B12 led to a significant increase in the amount of plant life, including marine algae.
- Vitamin B12 helps microscopic plants grow underwater, states the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution 2.
- Single-celled marine life can manufacture its own vitamin B12, unlike plants and animals, which must obtain it from outside sources.
Vitamin C & Estrogen Level
Plants must have vitamin C in order to grow, according to Professor Nicholas Smirnoff of the University of Exeter, England. Partnering with researchers from the University of Shimane, Japan, his research team genetically-engineered plants lacking vitamin C, which did not grow. Previously, vitamin C was considered merely an antioxidant that helped protect plants against the effects of the sun, such as drought and UV radiation, to successfully complete photosynthesis.
Vitamin D3 helps root formation and seed germination, explains the "Journal of Plant Growth Regulation." In the journal's 1987 article, "An Examination of the Growth Substance Activity of Vitamin D3," German researchers studied the effects of vitamin D3 on two different plants that were not exposed to sunlight 4. The vitamin helped cuttings of an aspen tree known as Populus tremula grow roots and helped seeds of Grand Rapids lettuce, also known as Lactuca sativa, to germinate.
Vitamin C & Estrogen Level
Can You Be Allergic to Vitamins?
Vitamins That Increase Dopamine
Is There a Vitamin That Encourages Height Growth?
Vitamin B2 and Weight Loss
Does Vitamin B-12 Affect Estrogen Levels?
Vitamins for the Menstrual Cycle
Importance of Vitamins in Our Diet
Vitamins That Help the Respiratory System
Deficiencies That Cause Acne
- Missouri Botanical Garden: Biology of Plants: Starting to Grow
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution: Growing Marine Plants Need Their Vitamins
- Environmental News Network: Vitamin C Essential For Plant Growth
- Journal of Plant Growth Regulation: An Examination of the Growth Substance Activity of Vitamin D3
- Weyens N, Thijs S, Popek R, et al. The Role of Plant-Microbe Interactions and Their Exploitation for Phytoremediation of Air Pollutants. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16(10):25576-604.doi:10.3390/ijms161025576
- Richardson M, Gottel N, Gilbert JA, et al. Concurrent measurement of microbiome and allergens in the air of bedrooms of allergy disease patients in the Chicago area. Microbiome. 2019;7(1):82.doi:10.1186/s40168-019-0695-5
- Ren X, Xin G, Du X, et al. Abnormal tapetum development in hermaphrodites of an androdioecious tree, Tapiscia sinensis. Tree Physiol. 2020;40(1):108‐118. doi:10.1093/treephys/tpz080
- American Lung Association. Combating Mold and Preventing Asthma Symptoms. Updated July 18, 2018.
- Lei DK, Grammer LC. Occupational immunologic lung disease. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2019;40(6):418‐420. doi:10.2500/aap.2019.40.4261
- Cherry N, Beach J, Senthilselvan A, Burstyn I. Pesticide Use and Asthma in Alberta Grain Farmers. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018;15(3):526. Published 2018 Mar 15. doi:10.3390/ijerph15030526
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Smart Gardening: Tips for an Allergy-Friendly Garden. Updated April 18, 2018.
Sophie Bloom has been a professional writer since 2000, writing for nonprofits including the American Foundation for the Blind and The Adult Literacy Media Alliance. She received her Bachelor of Arts degree in culture and media studies from Johns Hopkins University and her Master of Science in acupuncture from Tri-State College of Acupuncture in New York City.