The Best Walking Shoes for Heel Pain
What to Look For
Traditionally, unattractive shoes were the only answer for people seeking relief from the misery of heel pain. Now the best walking shoes aimed at alleviating heel pain are also quite stylish. Look for shoes with proper arch support, stability and good shock absorption to reduce the risk of heel pain. According to the online library service of the National Institutes of Health, "most frequently, heel pain is not the result of any single injury, such as a fall or twist, but rather the result of repetitive or excessive pounding."
- Traditionally, unattractive shoes were the only answer for people seeking relief from the misery of heel pain.
- Look for shoes with proper arch support, stability and good shock absorption to reduce the risk of heel pain.
The Best Walking Shoes for Kids
Heel pain generally falls into two conditions, pain beneath the heel and pain behind the heel. To help alleviate the pain, shoes should have good arch support and a slightly raised heel. They must fit well on the front, back and sides of the foot, ideally with shock-absorbent soles, rigid sides and supportive heel counters. Remember to buy the proper shoes for a particular activity and to wear them for that purpose, and replace your shoes regularly as needed. Old and worn shoes commonly lead to heel problems.
- Heel pain generally falls into two conditions, pain beneath the heel and pain behind the heel.
- They must fit well on the front, back and sides of the foot, ideally with shock-absorbent soles, rigid sides and supportive heel counters.
Where to Buy
Buying online gives easy access to many specialist dealers who sell shoes designed for people with heel pain. The sites are generally informative, and there is a wide choice of styles for walking, sports and dress shoes. The American Podiatric Medical Association also publishes a buyers' guide of outlets that sell appropriate shoes for people with heel and other foot problems. Most retailers are happy to send catalogs of their products to prospective customers.
- Buying online gives easy access to many specialist dealers who sell shoes designed for people with heel pain.
Tips for Relieving MTP Joint Pain
Prices for specialty shoes start at around $40 for lightweight therapeutic clogs with pain-easing cushioned soles and rise, to around $150 for top of the range smart leather shoes. Examples include the Orthaheel Tide Thong Sandals for men and women, which their manufacturer claims relieve foot and lower body pain with built-in orthotics, at a cost of some $55. The Orthaheel Women's and Men's Action Walker Shoes, in a trainer shoe style, cost around $100. Propet Women's Ghillie Walkers, offering support, stability and protection for the sensitive areas of the foot, cost around $70. Prices are current as of September 2010.
- Prices for specialty shoes start at around $40 for lightweight therapeutic clogs with pain-easing cushioned soles and rise, to around $150 for top of the range smart leather shoes.
- Examples include the Orthaheel Tide Thong Sandals for men and women, which their manufacturer claims relieve foot and lower body pain with built-in orthotics, at a cost of some $55.
If you own some shoes which are not fully supportive, you can still wear them and reduce the risk of heel pain at the same time by adding insoles and supports. Foot arch bands, some of them utilizing medical grade magnets to help reduce pain, and heels with arch supports, are only two of a wide range of products designed to help treat heel pain.
Foot problems in children can be avoided with the right choice of shoes, which is especially important as children become more active. The American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons urges parents to make the right choice of footwear, and has published helpful guidelines to prevent or minimize foot problems in children.
The Best Walking Shoes for Kids
Tips for Relieving MTP Joint Pain
The Best Shoes for Obese People
The Importance of Arch Support
Workout Shoes for People With Ankle Problems
Have Heel Spurs? How to Strap Your Foot
Can Shoes Cause Knee Pain?
Burning Pain on Outside Edge of Foot
Why Is It Important to Wear Good Walking Shoes?
Shoe Inserts for Painful Knees
- National Library of Medicine: Medline Plus--Heel Pain
- The American Podiatric Medical Association: Buyers' Guide
- The American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons:Foot Health Facts:Parents:Avoid kids' foot problems with the right shoes.
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. (2017). Heel Pain. https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/heel-pain
- Tu P, Bytomski JR. Diagnosis of Heel Pain. Am Fam Physician. 2011 Oct 15;84(8):909-16. https://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/1015/p909.html
- Tu P, Bytomski JR. Diagnosis of heel pain. Am Fam Physician. 2011;84(8):909-16.
- Lim AT, How CH, Tan B. Management of plantar fasciitis in the outpatient setting. Singapore Med J. 2016;57(4):168-70. doi:10.11622/smedj.2016069
- Li HY, Hua YH. Achilles Tendinopathy: Current Concepts about the Basic Science and Clinical Treatments. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:6492597. doi:10.1155/2016/6492597
- Gulati V, Jaggard M, Al-nammari SS, et al. Management of achilles tendon injury: A current concepts systematic review. World J Orthop. 2015;6(4):380-6. doi:10.5312/wjo.v6.i4.380
- Hong CH, Lee YK, Won SH, Lee DW, Moon SI, Kim WJ. Tarsal tunnel syndrome caused by an uncommon ossicle of the talus: A case report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018;97(25):e11008. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000011008
- Mayer SW, Joyner PW, Almekinders LC, Parekh SG. Stress fractures of the foot and ankle in athletes. Sports Health. 2014;6(6):481-91. doi:10.1177/1941738113486588
- Tu P. Heel Pain: Diagnosis and Management. Am Fam Physician. 2018;97(2):86-93.
- Yi TI, Lee GE, Seo IS, Huh WS, Yoon TH, Kim BR. Clinical characteristics of the causes of plantar heel pain. Ann Rehabil Med. 2011;35(4):507-13. doi:10.5535/arm.2011.35.4.507
- Kucuksen S, Karahan AY, Erol K. Haglund syndrome with pump bump. Med Arch. 2012;66(6):425-7.
- Vaishya R, Agarwal AK, Azizi AT, Vijay V. Haglund's Syndrome: A Commonly Seen Mysterious Condition. Cureus. 2016;8(10):e820. doi:10.7759/cureus.820
- Pękala PA, Henry BM, Pękala JR, Piska K, Tomaszewski KA. The Achilles tendon and the retrocalcaneal bursa: An anatomical and radiological study. Bone Joint Res. 2017;6(7):446-451. doi:10.1302/2046-3758.67.BJR-2016-0340.R1
- Helgeson K. Examination and intervention for sinus tarsi syndrome. N Am J Sports Phys Ther. 2009;4(1):29-37.
- Ma DL, Vano-galvan S. Piezogenic pedal papules. CMAJ. 2013;185(18):E847. doi:10.1503/cmaj.121963
- Fritz JM, Mcdonald JR. Osteomyelitis: approach to diagnosis and treatment. Phys Sportsmed. 2008;36(1):nihpa116823. doi:10.3810/psm.2008.12.11
- Yan L, Zong J, Chu J, et al. Primary tumours of the calcaneus. Oncol Lett. 2018;15(6):8901-8914. doi:10.3892/ol.2018.8487
- Narváez JA, Narváez J, Ortega R, Aguilera C, Sánchez A, Andía E. Painful heel: MR imaging findings. Radiographics. 2000;20(2):333-52. doi:10.1148/radiographics.20.2.g00mc09333
- Thomas JL, Christensen JC, Kravitz SR, et al. The diagnosis and treatment of heel pain: a clinical practice guideline-revision 2010. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010;49(3 Suppl):S1-19. doi:10.1053/j.jfas.2010.01.001
- Noor S, Khan RU, Ahmad J. Understanding Diabetic Foot Infection and its Management. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2017;11(2):149-156. doi:10.1016/j.dsx.2016.06.023
- Lui E. Systemic causes of heel pain. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2010;27(3):431-41. doi:10.1016/j.cpm.2010.04.004
- Podolsky R, Kalichman L. Taping for plantar fasciitis. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2015;28(1):1-6. doi:10.3233/BMR-140485
- Habets B, Van cingel REH, Backx FJG, Huisstede BMA. Alfredson versus Silbernagel exercise therapy in chronic midportion Achilles tendinopathy: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18(1):296. doi:10.1186/s12891-017-1656-4
- Riskowski J, Dufour AB, Hannan MT. Arthritis, foot pain and shoe wear: current musculoskeletal research on feet. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2011;23(2):148-55. doi:10.1097/BOR.0b013e3283422cf5
- Donley BG, Moore T, Sferra J, Gozdanovic J, Smith R. The efficacy of oral nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAID) in the treatment of plantar fasciitis: a randomized, prospective, placebo-controlled study. Foot Ankle Int. 2007;28(1):20-3. doi:10.3113/FAI.2007.0004
- Sahu RL. Percutaneous planter fasciitis release under local anesthesia: A prospective study. Chin J Traumatol. 2017;20(2):87-89. doi:10.1016/j.cjtee.2017.01.002
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. (2017). Heel Pain.
- Buchbinder R. (2018). Patient education: Heel and foot pain (caused by plantar fasciitis) (Beyond the Basics). Isaac Z, ed. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate Inc.
- Lareau CR, Sawyer G, Wang JH, DiGiovanni CW. Plantar and medial heel pain: diagnosis and management. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014 Jun;22(6):372-80. doi: 10.5435/JAAOS-22-06-372
- Ma DL, Vano-Galvan S. Piezogenic pedal papules. CMAJ. 2013 Dec 10;185(18):E847. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.121963
- Tu P, Bytomski JR. Diagnosis of Heel Pain. Am Fam Physician. 2011 Oct 15;84(8):909-16.
- Vaishya R, Agarwal AK, Azizi AT, Vijay V. Haglund's Syndrome: A Commonly Seen Mysterious Condition. Cureus. 2016 Oct;8(10):e820. doi: 10.7759/cureus.820
Based in Scotland, Margaret McBride became a journalist in the 1960s. She later worked in public relations and in 1990 became press and publicity officer for a health authority. A freelance writer since 2005, she writes for online and print media companies.