The cecum connects the large intestine and the small intestine. While most colorectal cancers arise in the far end of the colon, the rectum and sigmoid colon, the cecum is the next most common site for cancer to arise, according to the Surgical Practice of Northern New Jersey 345. Over 95 percent of colorectal cancer are adenocarcimonas, which often start as polyps, the American Cancer Society explains 34. Symptoms of cecum carcinoma vary from symptoms of other cancers due to the location.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Because tumors in the cecum often ulcerate and bleed, anemia, or low hemoglobin levels related to blood loss, can occur as a symptom of cecal carcinoma. Blood loss is occult, meaning not visible with the naked eye, and is diagnosed by testing a small stool sample for minute traces of blood. Anemia can lead to fatigue, weakness and pallor.
What Is Neural Foraminal Narrowing?
The cecum, a pouchlike structure, lies very close to the appendix. Cecal carcinoma can cause appendicitis or appendicitis-like symptoms in some cases, reports lead author Irene Fiume in the 2006 issue of the World Journal of Emergency Surgery 2. What appears to be appendicitis is actually carcinoma in 1.8 to 8 percent of all cases initially diagnosed as appendicitis, and it occurs more frequently in the elderly. Perforation of the cecal cancer can allow cancer cells to reach and block the opening of the appendix. Appendicitis and subsequent rupture of the appendix can occur from chronic obstruction of the opening of the appendix.
- The cecum, a pouchlike structure, lies very close to the appendix.
- Perforation of the cecal cancer can allow cancer cells to reach and block the opening of the appendix.
Like other colorectal cancers, carcinoma of the cecum can also cause bowel symptoms. Because the cecum attaches to the small intestine, where stool is mostly liquid, bowel obstruction rarely occurs unless the tumor grows very large.
What Is Neural Foraminal Narrowing?
Signs and Symptoms of Infection in a Scrape
Diseases of the Duodenum
Colonoscopy Symptoms of a Perforated Colon
What Is the Function of the Rectum?
Tortuous Colon Symptoms
What Is Erythematous Mucosa in the Rectum?
Appendix Stones Symptoms
Symptoms Following Ileostomy Reversal
What Are the Causes of Vomiting & Diarrhea in the Elderly?
- Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics: Primary Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Cecum; Santosh Kumar Mondal Department of Pathology, Medical College, Kolkata, India
- World Journal of Emergency Surgery:ecum Cancer Underlying Appendicular Abscess; Irene Fiume; 2006
- American Cancer Society: What is Colorectal Cancer?
- Merck Manual: Colorectal Cancer
- General Surgery Practice of Northern New Jersey: Colon Cancer
- Kahai P, Mandiga P, Lobo S. Anatomy, abdomen and pelvis, large intestine. StatPearls. Updated June 18, 2019.
- Haggar FA, Boushey RP. Colorectal cancer epidemiology: Incidence, mortality, survival, and risk factors. Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2009;22(4):191–197. doi:10.1055/s-0029-1242458
- Ashindoitiang JA. Caecal carcinoma: a review of 3 cases in a private hospital in Lagos. Clin Pract. 2011;1(2):e42. Published 2011 May 30. doi:10.4081/cp.2011.e42
- Sadahiro S, Suzuki T, Tokunaga N, et al. Anemia in patients with colorectal cancer. J Gastroenterol. 1998;33(4):488-94.
- Wilson ID. Hematemesis, Melena, and Hematochezia. In: Walker HK, Hall WD, Hurst JW, editors. Clinical Methods: The History, Physical, and Laboratory Examinations. 3rd edition. Boston: Butterworths; 1990. Chapter 85.
- Patterson HA. The management of cecal cancer discovered unexpectedly at operation for acute appendicitis. Ann Surg. 1956;143(5):670–681. doi:10.1097/00000658-195605000-00014
- American Cancer Society. Signs and symptoms of gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors. September 24, 2018.
- Kuo YH, Shi CS, Huang CY, Huang YC, Chin CC. Prognostic significance of unintentional body weight loss in colon cancer patients. Mol Clin Oncol. 2018;8(4):539–543. doi:10.3892/mco.2018.1582
- Thoufeeq MH, Rembacken BJ. Meticulous cecal image documentation at colonoscopy is associated with improved polyp detection. Endosc Int Open. 2015;3(6):E629–E633. doi:10.1055/s-0034-1392783
- Simon K. Colorectal cancer development and advances in screening. Clin Interv Aging. 2016;11:967–976. Published 2016 Jul 19. doi:10.2147/CIA.S109285
- Hermann J, Karmelita-Katulska K, Paszkowski J, Drews M, Stajgis M. Diagnosis of a cecal tumour with virtual colonoscopy. Pol J Radiol. 2011;76(2):25–27.
- Le CK, Qaja E. Cecal volvulus. StatPearls. Updated February 28, 2019.
- American Cancer Society. Colorectal cancer risk factors. Updated June 29, 2020.
- Humes DJ, Simpson J. Acute appendicitis. BMJ. 2006;333(7567):530–534. doi:10.1136/bmj.38940.664363.AE
- Moritani K, Wada O, Ozawa H, Fujita S, Kotake K. Laparoscopic radical right hemicolectomy for cecal cancer and middle colic artery aneurysm. World J Surg Oncol. 2015;13:170. Published 2015 May 6. doi:10.1186/s12957-015-0595-5
- Wang Y, Yang L, Zhou M, et al. Disparities in survival for right-sided vs. left-sided colon cancers in young patients: a study based on the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results database (1990-2014). Cancer Manag Res. 2018;10:1735–1747. Published 2018 Jun 26. doi:10.2147/CMAR.S163302
- Amri R, Bordeianou L, Sylla P, Berger D. Variations in metastasis site by primary location in colon cancer. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2015. 19(8):1522-7. doi:10.1007/s11605-015-2837-9
- Väyrynen JP, Tuomisto A, Väyrynen SA, et al. Preoperative anemia in colorectal cancer: relationships with tumor characteristics, systemic inflammation, and survival. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):1126. Published 2018 Jan 18. doi:10.1038/s41598-018-19572-y
- Kozan R, Yılmaz TU, Baştuğral U, Kerimoğlu U, Yavuz Y. Factors affecting successful colonoscopy procedures: Single-center experience. Turk J Surg. 2018;34(1):28–32. doi:10.5152/turkjsurg.2017.3733
- Xie X, Zhou Z, Song Y, Wang W, Dang C, Zhang H. Differences between carcinoma of the cecum and ascending colon: Evidence based on clinical and embryological data. Int J Oncol. 2018;53(1):87–98. doi:10.3892/ijo.2018.4366
- National Cancer Institute. Colon cancer treatment (PDQ)—health professional version. Updated February 16, 2018.
- Suttie S, Shaikh T, Mullen R. Outcome of right- and left-sided colonic and rectal cancer following surgical resection. Colorectal Diseases. 2011;13(8):884-9. doi:10.1111/j.1463-1318.2011.02866.x
A registered nurse with more than 25 years of experience in oncology, labor/delivery, neonatal intensive care, infertility and ophthalmology, Sharon Perkins has also coauthored and edited numerous health books for the Wiley "Dummies" series. Perkins also has extensive experience working in home health with medically fragile pediatric patients.