What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How to Stop a Statin Cough
Statin drugs are used to lower cholesterol levels in the body. Statins may cause side effects such as muscle pain, digestive upset and coughing. There are several ways to reduce coughs brought on by statin drugs.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Talk to your doctor about your statin cough. He may suggest altering your statin dosage or trying a different statin to see if it lessens your cough.
Use a humidifier in the house or at work. Statin coughs are normally dry coughs. A humidifier puts moisture in the air, allowing lubrication to the nose and throat and decreasing the risk of coughing.
Mix a teaspoon of honey with an herbal tea. Honey lubricates the throat, and herbal tea suppresses the cough. Drink two to three cups a day.
Excessively Coughing? Here's Why
Suck on cough lozenges 1. Cough lozenges sooth and lubricate the throat and heal the throat aggravated by coughing spells.
Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Moisture decreases the tickling effect in the throat that causes you to cough. Drink warm liquids, such as broth, cocoa or tea, to sooth a throat sore from coughing.
Talk to your doctor about taking cough medicines. Cough medicines may interact with your statin drugs, affecting their ability to lower cholesterol levels. Ask your doctor what kind of cough medicines are safe to take or whether he has other solutions for your statin cough.
Excessively Coughing? Here's Why
How to Stop a Gagging Cough
Honey for Bronchitis
Allergy Cough Symptoms
Chamomile & Honey Tea for Laryngitis
What is the Difference Between Albuterol & Pulmicort?
Medications That Cause Coughing
Reasons for Coughing After Eating
Food to Help Breathing
- MayoClinic.com: Cough
- American Lung Association. Cough symptoms, causes and risk factors. Updated July 11, 2019.
- Mahashur A. Chronic dry cough: Diagnostic and management approaches. Lung India. 2015;32(1):44–49. doi:10.4103/0970-2113.148450
- Smith SM, Henman M, Schroeder K, Fahey T. Over-the-counter cough medicines in children: neither safe or efficacious? Br J Gen Pract. 2008;58(556):757-8. doi:10.3399/bjgp08X342642
- Zhang T, Zhou X. Clinical application of expectorant therapy in chronic inflammatory airway diseases (Review). Exp Ther Med. 2014;7(4):763-767. doi:10.3892/etm.2014.1494
- Paul IM, Beiler J, Mcmonagle A, Shaffer ML, Duda L, Berlin CM. Effect of honey, dextromethorphan, and no treatment on nocturnal cough and sleep quality for coughing children and their parents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007;161(12):1140-6. doi:10.1001/archpedi.161.12.1140
- Korioth T. Remind families: honey can cause infant botulism. American Academy of Pediatrics. Published November 19, 2018.
- Talk to your doctor about taking cough medicines. Cough medicines may interact with your statin drugs, affecting their ability to lower cholesterol levels. Ask your doctor what kind of cough medicines are safe to take or whether he has other solutions for your statin cough.
Constance Barker, located in the hills of southern Ohio, is the owner and writer of several financial, credit report and travel websites. She started writing in 1999 for private clients and began creating website content in 2004. She gained expertise in home improvement after she and her husband built their home themselves.