Physicians may prescribe the corticosteroid medication generically called methylprednisolone for many different problems 1. These may include lupus, allergies, breathing disorders, psoriasis, different forms of arthritis and a bowel disease called ulcerative colitis, among others. Corticosteroids, such as the brand-name Medrol Dosepak, function by blocking chemicals from being released by the body that can induce inflammation 4. Patients take a course of the medicine laid out in the Medrol Dosepak over several days, with the doses generally decreasing 4.
As a person begins the course of corticosteroids in the Medrol Dosepak, certain common side effects not classified as serious can occur 4. For example, the person may experience facial flushing during the first few doses of the medication. Flushing causes the skin to become hot and the face will turn red. Facial flushing typically decreases and ends without medical aid, but speak to your patients should consult their doctor if the problem persists.
- As a person begins the course of corticosteroids in the Medrol Dosepak, certain common side effects not classified as serious can occur 4.
- For example, the person may experience facial flushing during the first few doses of the medication.
Axit Side Effects
Along with the sudden blast of warmth in the face associated with taking Medrol, the person may experience an increase in the amount of sweating that takes place all over the body. This excess sweating, too, classifies as a non-serious and common side effect of the Medrol Dosepak 4. Most often, this will end without medical attention.
Dizziness, or a feeling the person experiences as a whirling sensation, may occur during the first part of treatment with the Medrol Dosepak 4. Dizziness as well as the associated sensation of light-headedness may make it difficult to maintain personal balance. Lack of coordination may ensue, which can cause the person to fall more easily than normal. Dizziness also can induce mild nausea.
- Dizziness, or a feeling the person experiences as a whirling sensation, may occur during the first part of treatment with the Medrol Dosepak 4.
Anxiety and Depression
Side Effects of Deralin
Taking pills from the Medrol Dosepak can cause non-serious side effects that temporarily can affect a person’s mental state 4. These side effects can include unwarranted anxiety and a sense of mental depression. The National Institutes of Health suggest consultation with a doctor if these psychological problems appear severe or do not end on their own 2.
Methylprednisolone may induce problems with menstruation in women who take the medicine 1. It can alter the menstrual cycle, causing periods to become irregular. It also can cause a condition known as amenorrhea, which means periods suddenly stop without pregnancy occurring. Menstrual problems associated with the Medrol Dosepak classify as non-serious and temporary 4.
Axit Side Effects
Side Effects of Deralin
Common Side Effects of Pristiq
Dytor Side Effects
Side Effects of Stemzine
Allegra & Weight Loss
Long-Term Side Effects of Propranolol
Common Side Effects of Bronchodilators
Side Effects of Effexor 37.5Mg
Colofac Side Effects
- Drugs.com: Methylprednisolone Side Effects
- National Institutes of Health: Methylprednisolone Oral
- Mayo Clinic: Corticosteroid (Oral Route, Parenteral Route)
- Drugs.com: Medrol Dosepak
- Methylprednisolone: Drug Information. Lexicomp. UpToDate.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. Medrol® methylprednisolone tablets, USP. Updated September 2019.
- MedlinePlus. Methylprednisolone. Updated February 18, 2020.
- Medrol. RxList.com.
- Methylprednisolone: Drug Information. Lexicomp.
Carole Anne Tomlinson is a registered nurse with experience in rehabilitation, nutrition, chemical dependency, diabetes and health problems related to the elderly. Tomlinson holds a Bachelor of Arts in criminal justice and is presently working on her master's degree in nursing. Her screenplays have been viewed by Merchant Ivory, Angela Lansbury and Steven King's associates.