Side Effects of Olive Leaf Extract
Olive leaf extract is a supplement used to boost your immune system. It acts as a natural pathogen killer, fighting various strains of bacteria, viruses and fungi. Olive leaf extract can be used to aid in the treatment of the common cold and flu, ear infections, yeast infections, viral infections, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. It's available for purchase at most health food stores.
Taking olive leaf extract can cause some people to experience a detoxification reaction. This occurs when your liver, kidneys, intestines and/or skin become overwhelmed with dead pathogens. You may experience increased fatigue, diarrhea, muscle and joint aches, rashes and/ or pimples. To reduce the symptoms of a detox reaction, lower the dose of olive leaf extract you were taking or stop taking it altogether until your symptoms improve.
- Taking olive leaf extract can cause some people to experience a detoxification reaction.
- To reduce the symptoms of a detox reaction, lower the dose of olive leaf extract you were taking or stop taking it altogether until your symptoms improve.
Can Milk Thistle Cause Skin Rashes?
Some people have reported headaches at the start of taking olive leaf extract. Most likely, these headaches are associated with the initial detox reaction and subside in time. If you experience headaches while taking olive leaf extract, reduce your dose of the supplement or stop taking it entirely until your headaches resolve.
Low Blood Glucose
Olive leaf extract may cause you to have lower blood glucose levels. If you are a diabetic or someone who needs to monitor his blood glucose, check with you doctor before you begin taking olive leaf extract.
Can Milk Thistle Cause Skin Rashes?
Side Effects of the NAC Supplement
Adverse Reactions to Ingesting Olive Leaf Extract Capsules
Burdock Root Side Effects
Peppermint Allergy Symptoms
How to Use Slim-Mate Cassia Angustifolia Senna Tea for Dieting
Does Niacinamide Cause Flushing?
L-Arginine, Ginkgo Biloba & Ginseng
How to Treat Sea Lice Bites
Can Fish Oil Cause Rashes?
- Pro Health Solutions: Olive Leaf Extract
- Healthy Christian Living: What Is Olive Leaf Extract?
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Olive leaf. Updated September 12, 2013.
- Wainstein J, Ganz T, Boaz M, et al. Olive leaf extract as a hypoglycemic agent in both human diabetic subjects and in rats. J Med Food. 2012;15(7):605-10. doi:10.1089/jmf.2011.0243
- Lockyer S, Rowland I, Spencer JPE, Yaqoob P, Stonehouse W. Impact of phenolic-rich olive leaf extract on blood pressure, plasma lipids and inflammatory markers: a randomised controlled trial. Eur J Nutr. 2017;56(4):1421-1432. doi:10.1007/s00394-016-1188-y
- Omar SH. Oleuropein in olive and its pharmacological effects. Sci Pharm. 2010;78(2):133-54. doi:10.3797/scipharm.0912-18
- Basch, EM, Ulbricht, C. Natural standard herb & supplement guide. New York, NY: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2016.
- RxList. Olive. Updated September 17, 2019.
- Loria, K. How to choose supplements wisely. Consumer Reports. October 30, 2019.
- Shen Y, Song SJ, Keum N, Park T. Olive leaf extract attenuates obesity in high-fat diet-fed mice by modulating the expression of molecules involved in adipogenesis and thermogenesis. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;2014:971890. doi:10.1155/2014/971890
- El SN, Karakaya S. Olive tree (Olea europaea) leaves: potential beneficial effects on human health. Nutr Rev. 2009 Nov;67(11):632-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-4887.2009.00248.x.
- Omar SH. Oleuropein in olive and its pharmacological effects. Sci Pharm. 2010;78(2):133-54. doi: 10.3797/scipharm.0912-18.
- Vogel P, Kasper Machado I, Garavaglia J, et al. Polyphenols benefits of olive leaf (Olea europaea L) to human health. Nutr Hosp. 2014;31(3):1427-33. doi: 10.3305/nh.2015.31.3.8400.
Cynthia Bateman is a student at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville where she is pursuing her Master of Arts in English with an emphasis in composition pedagogy. She has most recently been published in the literary journal, "River Bluff Review." She is also a registered professional nurse.