Dentists use dental crowns and full mouth reconstruction to help patients who have missing or discolored teeth due to gum disease, tooth decay, infection or injury 2. Dental surgeries such as crown placement and implants are costly, ranging from about $1,100 per crown to up to $45,000 or more for a full mouth restoration. According to the Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, 90 percent of dental implant surgeries are successful 3.
Bleeding, Pain and Nerve Injury
Dental crown and full mouth reconstruction surgery, like any type of surgery, carry a risk of bleeding, according to the Columbia University College of Dental Medicine 23. Dentists may inadvertently touch the jawbone nerve during these procedures, leaving you with pain and numbness in the lip, chin or tongue that could last several months or remain permanent.
Types of False Teeth
Once the anesthesia from your dental crown procedure begins to wear off, the tooth crown may feel tender and uncomfortable. According to the Cleveland Clinic, newly crowned teeth are prone to sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures 1. To combat this side effect, brush your teeth with toothpaste designed for those with sensitive teeth. If your tooth hurts when you bite down, visit your dentist for a simple procedure to adjust the height of the crown.
- Once the anesthesia from your dental crown procedure begins to wear off, the tooth crown may feel tender and uncomfortable.
- If your tooth hurts when you bite down, visit your dentist for a simple procedure to adjust the height of the crown.
Tooth Decay and Infection
Dentists use cement to hold the dental crown in place, but cement can loosen and wash out from under the crown. A loose crown allows bacteria to accumulate on the remaining tooth and sometimes causes tooth decay and cavities. If you have a loose crown, your dentist may need to re-cement it or fit you for a new crown to prevent tooth decay.
During full mouth restoration procedures, bacteria can infect the gums around dental implants, causing periodontal disease known as periimplantitis, according to the Columbia University College of Dental Medicine 3. Eventually, untreated gum infection causes bone loss and the implant to weaken, requiring additional dental work.
- Dentists use cement to hold the dental crown in place, but cement can loosen and wash out from under the crown.
- During full mouth restoration procedures, bacteria can infect the gums around dental implants, causing periodontal disease known as periimplantitis, according to the Columbia University College of Dental Medicine 3.
Dental Bridge Complications
Dental implants, such as those used in full mouth reconstruction, or dental crowns can break, especially if your bite is misaligned 2. In addition, if you experience bone loss in your jaw, the implants can loosen, break or fracture, according to the Columbia University College of Dental Medicine 3.
Rarely, people who have dental crowns or implants that contain metal can experience an allergic reaction that causes immune system problems and chronic fatigue syndrome in dental patients, according to the Cleveland Clinic Foundation 1.
Types of False Teeth
Dental Bridge Complications
How Do I Repair a Partial Plate Denture?
Dental Extraction Side Effects
Dangers of Dental Implants
DIY Bite Guard
Dangers of Metal Braces
Types of Dental Partial Plates
How to Glue in a Dental Bridge
How to Cover Missing Teeth in Your Mouth
- Cleveland Clinic: Dental Crowns
- Consumer Guide to Dentistry: Full Mouth Reconstruction
- ADA Center for Evidence-Based Dentistry. Clinical practice guidelines.
- Sen B, Blackburn J, Morrisey MA, et al. Effectiveness of preventive dental visits in reducing nonpreventive dental visits and expenditures. Pediatrics. 2013;131(6):1107-13. doi:10.1542/peds.2012-2586
- Bader J. Insufficient evidence to understand effect of routine scaling and polishing. Evidence-Based Dentistry. 2005;6(1):5-6. doi:10.1038/sj.ebd.6400317.
- Olson LB, Turner DJ, Cox GM, Hostler CJ. Prosthetic joint infection following dental cleaning despite antibiotic prophylaxis. Case Rep Infect Dis. 2019;2019:8109280. doi:10.1155/2019/8109280
- American Dental Association. Antibiotic prophylaxis prior to dental procedures.
- Weintraub JA, Stearns SC, Rozier RG, Huang CC. Treatment outcomes and costs of dental sealants among children enrolled in Medicaid. Am J Public Health. 2001;91(11):1877-81. doi:10.2105/ajph.91.11.1877
- US Preventive Services Task Force. Dental caries in children from birth through age 5 years: Screening. Updated September 29, 2014.
- Sambunjak D, Nickerson JW, Poklepovic T, et al. Flossing for the management of periodontal diseases and dental caries in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. December 2011. doi:10.1002/14651858.cd008829.pub2
- Walsh T, Worthington HV, Glenny A-M, Marinho VC, Jeroncic A. Fluoride toothpastes of different concentrations for preventing dental caries. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. April 2019. doi:10.1002/14651858.cd007868.pub3
- American Dental Association. Dental Radiographic Examinations: Recommendations for Patient Selection and Limiting Radiation Exposure. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Bader, J. (2005). Insufficient Evidence to Understand Effect of Routine Scaling and Polishing. Nature.com.
- Christal, A. Dental Prophylaxis. The Edmonds Orthopedic Center.
- Cochrane. Drug treatments for Constipation Caused by Antipsychotic Medications.
- Gelber, S. (2016). Surprisingly Little Evidence for the Accepted Wisdom About Teeth. The New York Times.
- Sen, B., Blackburn, J., Morrisey, M.A., Kilgore, M.L... Menachemi, N. (2013). Effectiveness of Preventive Dental Visits in Reducing Nonpreventive Dental Visits and Expenditures. AAP News and Journals Gateway.
- The U.S. Preventative Services Task Force Staff. Final Recommendation Statement Dental Caries in Children from Birth Through Age 5 Years: Screening.
Amelia Smith is a freelance writer and editor who specializes in writing about fitness, nutrition, parenting, health, and medicine. She has a decade's worth of experience editing for online and print publications, including Parenting, Glamour, and Woman's Day. She obtained her Bachelor of Arts from the University of Hawaii.