Dandruff, or seborrheic dermatitis, causes itching on the scalp, and you may notice the white flakes on your clothes from the scalp itching. Some over-the-counter shampoos contain the ingredient zinc pyrithione, an antiseborrheic that helps you fight the flakiness of dandruff and promotes a healthier scalp 1. You may need to experiment with different shampoos to find the right one to treat your dry scalp. If the problem persists for several weeks, consulting with a healthcare professional is advisable, according to Drugs.com.
Head and Shoulders
Head and Shoulders started including zinc pyrithione in some of the dandruff shampoo formulations in 2007, according to Procter and Gamble, the shampoo's manufacturer 12. Since the 1950s, Procter and Gamble notes that the company has been on the forefront of scalp and hair science, especially when it comes to treating your dandruff 2.
Procter and Gamble states that the pyrithione zinc formulation you find in the shampoo is an effective tool to help control the growth and spread of Malassezia globosa, the fungus that causes dandruff 12.
Pyrithione Zinc Side Effects
The Denorex website states that you will find a 2 percent formulation of zinc pyrithione, which is higher than other leading brands 1. According to Drugs.com, Denorex works by slowing down the production of skin cells, in turn reducing flaking 4. In addition, you should consult with a healthcare professional about the potential risk of Denorex interacting with medications or medical conditions prior to use.
Selsun Blue Salon
Selsun Blue Salon is the newer formulation manufactured by Chattem, Inc., that contains a 1 percent formulation of zinc pyrithione 13. The Salon version replaced the traditional selenium sulfide in Selsun Blue 3. The shampoo is available in over-the-counter formulation, and the recommended use is twice per week.
Pyrithione Zinc Side Effects
Ketoconazole for Hair Loss
Active Ingredients in Selsun Blue
How to Get Rid of White Spots on the Scalp
Propecia vs. Rogaine
Can Selenium Sulfide Cause Hair Loss?
How to Add Olive Oil to Shampoo
How to Use MetroGel for Acne
The Best Hair-Loss Products for Women
How to Treat Menopause-Related Hair Loss
- Drugs.com: Pyrithione Zinc Shampoo
- Procter and Gamble: Head and Shoulders
- Selsun Blue
- Drugs.com: Denorex Shampoo
- Aldhalimi MA, Hadi NR, Ghafil FA. Promotive Effect of Topical Ketoconazole, Minoxidil, and Minoxidil with Tretinoin on Hair Growth in Male Mice. ISRN Pharmacol. 2014;2014:1-5. doi:10.1155/2014/575423
- Reeder NL, Kaplan J, Xu J, et al. Zinc Pyrithione Inhibits Yeast Growth through Copper Influx and Inactivation of Iron-Sulfur Proteins. Antimicrob Agents and Chemother. 2011;55(12):5753-5760. doi:10.1128/aac.00724-11
- Satchell AC, Saurajen A, Bell C, Barnetson RS. Treatment of dandruff with 5% tea tree oil shampoo. J Am Acad Dermatol. 47.6 (2002): 852-855.
Based in Massachusetts, Carolyn Russell-DeLucas has been writing since 2007. She specializes in topics related to health, beauty and nutrition. Russell-DeLucas graduated from Brevard Community College with an Associate of Arts.