How to Get Rid of Swollen Taste Buds

The tongue is a sensitive organ with multiple nerve endings. And even the smallest bump on your tongue can feel like a volcanic eruption. If you have hat feels like a pimple or small bump on your tongue, it could be a swollen taste bud.

Swollen taste buds are common, occurring in one out of every two people.One or multiple tongue bumps are referred to as "transient lingual papillitis" 1.

A viral infection, biting your tongue, hot food or beverages and experiencing stress can cause a swollen taste bud. However, in many instances, there is no known cause.

These treatments can help alleviate symptoms of pain and redness associated with swollen taste buds.

Be gentile.

You should not scrape, rub or pick a swollen taste bud. And use caution when brushing your teeth as any force can further aggravate the taste bud.

How to Heal Tongue Sores

Learn More

Drink cold fluids.

Drinking warm or hot liquids might irritate a swollen taste bud.

However, cold water, non-citrus beverages like apple or grape juice or milk can soothe the taste bud and temporarily reduce some of the swelling and provide immediate relief of pain.

Rinse with salt water.

Mix ½ teaspoon of salt with 8 ounces of warm water.

Swish a mouthful of the mixture around the affected area for 30 seconds then spit the solution in the sink.

Repeat 2 to 3 times throughout the day until the swollen taste bud feels less painful or appears smaller.

How to Eat With a Tongue Ring

Learn More

Use a mouthwash with antiseptic.

If the bumps on your tongue are related to an infection, gargling with an antiseptic mouthwash for 30 to 60 seconds can promote healing. After swishing the mouthwash in your mouth, make sure to not swallow it; spit it in the sink.

Eat cold and mild foods.

A mouthful of cold yogurt or ice cream can temporarily lessen the pain of swollen taste buds.

And avoid eating spicy and exotic foods until your taste bud heals as they may irritate the taste bud. c


If the condition does not improve in 5 to 7 days, consult a dentist or physician.