You went for hike the other day. You had no idea that your leg brushed up against that dreadful plant "poison ivy". Now your paying for it. You have itchy blisters all over your calf. You couldn't sleep with that awful feeling on your leg. That's all you can think about is the rash and how to get rid of it. Here are some ways to avoid getting it and how to get relief from it once you have it.
First learn what poison ivy looks like. I have noticed that in the spring the plant has shiny red leaves. Then during the summer they turn green but they are not shiny. Towards the fall the plant will change to a red green leaf. Remember that poison ivy has 3 leaves. Notice in the pictures that the leaves have a scalloped edge. It's an easy way to identify the plant.
Ok, now that you know what it looks like. What happens if you accidentally brush up against it. You need to get the oil (urushiol)from the poison ivy off of your skin as quickly as possible without getting more oil (urushiol) on you. So if your clothes touched it, get them off and into the washing machine. Then take a cool shower and wash yourself completely with soap.
If by some chance you already have a rash, go and take an oral antihistamine/allergy medication such as Benadryl. It should help some with the allergic reaction.
You can soak the area in a solution made with a powdered astringent such as Domeboro. You can find at any pharmacy.
Then apply calamine lotion or any product with hydrocortisone are always soothing to a poison ivy rash.
Avoid Poison Ivy (look at the pictures above)
If it's very severe go to the doctor.