Monitor the health of your community here

How to Remove a Genital Cyst

A cyst, also called a sebaceous cyst, is a closed sac found under the skin, most often filled with fluid. Sometimes a cyst will appear in the genital area when bacteria accumulate, often due to air being trapped in the groin and infrequent bathing. These cysts can also form because of trauma to the skin or the swelling of hair follicles. However, there are ways you can help treat and remove a genital cyst.

Clean the area gently with a warm, wet washcloth. Or, soak in a tub with very warm to hot water; even better, put Epsom salts in the water, as this will help soften the cyst.

Bicycles & Pilonidal Cyst Pain

Learn More

Heat a few ounces of water and pour into a small, shallow bowl or cup. Dip a green teabag into the water. Squeeze the excess water out of the teabag with your hand. Gently place the teabag on the cyst. If it feels too hot, let the teabag cool for a few seconds before placing it back on the skin. Keep the teabag on the cyst until the teabag cools, then redip the teabag in the hot water and repeat. Go through the sequence a few times until the bowl of water cools down.

Allow the area to air-dry; then, with a clean finger, dab on a dot of antibacterial cream. (This can be purchased at any drugstore without a prescription.) Let the cream sit few minutes to be absorbed by the cyst. Then put on clean, breathable underwear.

What Are the Causes of Pimples on Genital Area?

Learn More

Within a few hours (or sometimes overnight), the cyst may pop or deflate, releasing the fluid inside. Gently clean the area with a warm, wet washcloth; allow to air-dry and then apply more antibacterial cream to the area.

Repeat Steps 1 through 4 once or twice a day. The cyst will often go away within three to four days. See a doctor immediately if after a week if it hasn't gone away or has gotten worse.


Never pop, squeeze or poke at a cyst. You don't want to make it worse or cause an infection. If the cyst is painful or bleeding or doesn't go away on its own, see a doctor (gynecologist or dermatologist) ASAP. If you are unsure what the bump is on your genital area, please see your doctor. What you think is a cyst could be a genital wart, and you need that to be looked at by a doctor.