Developing pain in your upper abdomen may leave you concerned that you have a digestive condition. If you develop upper abdominal pain after using psyllium, talk with your doctor to determine the cause of the pain 3. Psyllium is a fiber supplement used as a periodic laxative that can increase gas, which commonly causes upper abdominal pain 3. The pain may also be the result of indigestion and heartburn from using the supplement. If you develop abdominal pain along with chest tightness, you may have an allergy to psyllium 3.
The formation of gas is common when you increase the amount of fiber you ingest daily. Psyllium fiber is made from a shrublike bush that produces seeds 3. The husks of the seeds contain both insoluble and soluble fiber that is indigestible by the human body. When these undigested carbohydrates enter your colon, bacteria interaction results in the formation of gas. Excessive gas can become trapped in your intestines, causing bloating and pain in your upper abdomen. Gas pains typically develop quickly with sharp, jabbing pain and are passing gas or belching alleviates them, according to MayoClinc.com.
- The formation of gas is common when you increase the amount of fiber you ingest daily.
- The husks of the seeds contain both insoluble and soluble fiber that is indigestible by the human body.
Metamucil & Diarrhea
PubMed Health states that stomach pain is a common side effect of using psyllium fiber supplements and that indigestion may cause the pain 3. Indigestion is the feeling of fullness after you eat. Heartburn may accompany it. Indigestion occurs when stomach acid enters the esophagus, resulting in a burning sensation, which is heartburn. Indigestion and heartburn from using psyllium fiber supplements should subside by using over-the-counter antacids 3.
If you develop upper abdominal pain along with chest tightness and other symptoms, you may have an allergy to psyllium, according to Drugs.com 3. If your immune system malfunctions and reacts to the proteins in the psyllium husk as if they’re dangerous, you will experience an allergic reaction 3. Allergy symptoms include:
- abdominal pain
- nasal congestion
- swelling in the face
- throat or lips
- a rapid heart rate
- chest tightness
- trouble breathing
- skin rashes
- such as hives
Pros & Cons of Metamucil
The pain may be unrelated to the psyllium supplement, but a sign of a more significant health problem 3. Upper abdominal pain may be the result of other digestive conditions, such as gallbladder disease or pancreatitis. If the pain persists or is severe, you need to call your doctor. If you’ve been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, talk with your doctor before using psyllium to treat your symptoms 3.
Metamucil & Diarrhea
Pros & Cons of Metamucil
How Much Psyllium Should One Take?
Pain in the Center of the Chest After Eating
FiberCon Vs. Metamucil
Psyllium Husk Allergy
Watery Stool, Diarrhea, Gas, Bloating & Fiber in Food
Metamucil & Bloating
Psyllium Husks and Diverticulitis
Why Does Bulgur Wheat Cause Bloating?
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Psyllium
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology: Allergic Reactions
- Drugs.com: Psyllium
- North Carolina State University: Liver, Gallbladder and Pancreas
- Xiao Z, Chen H, Zhang Y, et al. The effect of psyllium consumption on weight, body mass index, lipid profile, and glucose metabolism in diabetic patients: A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Phytother Res. 2020. doi:10.1002/ptr.6609
- Anderson JW, Allgood LD, Lawrence A, et al. Cholesterol-lowering effects of psyllium intake adjunctive to diet therapy in men and women with hypercholesterolemia: a meta-analysis of 8 controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71:472-479.
- deBock M, Derraik JGB, Brennan CM et al. Psyllium supplementation in adolescents improves fat distribution and lipid profile: a randomized, participant-blinding, placebo-controlled, crossover trial. PLoS One 2012;7:e41735.
- Ribas SA, Cunha DB, Sichieri R et al. Effects of psyllium on LDL cholesterol concentrations in Brazilian children and adolescents: a randomized, parallel clinical trial. Br J Nutr 2015;113:134-141.
- Van Rosendaal GMA, Shaffer EA, Edwards EL, et al. Effect of time of administration on cholesterol-lowering by psyllium: a randomized cross-over study in normocholesterolemic or slightly hypercholesterolemic subjects. Nutr J 2004;3:1-7.
- Wei W, Wang H, Chen XY et al. Time and dose-dependent effect of psyllium on serum lipids in mild to moderate hypercholesterolemia: a meta-analysis of controlled clinical trials. Eur J Clin Nutr 2009;63:821-827.
Diane Marks started her writing career in 2010 and has been in health care administration for more than 30 years. She holds a registered nurse license from Citizens General Hospital School of Nursing, a Bachelor of Arts in health care education from California University of Pennsylvania and a Master of Science in health administration from the University of Pittsburgh.