How to Obtain a Prostate Massage
From supplements and vitamin drinks to colon-cleansing for prostate health and prostate massage, there are a myriad of options for maintaining the health of the prostate 12. But accessing the prostate for some types of treatment may be uncomfortable or embarrassing. This is because the prostate gland, responsible for semen storage and release during ejaculation, is located within the anal cavity about one inch in. For this reason, only licensed medical practitioners or intimate partners may perform one of the more popular techniques for maintaining prostate health: Prostate massage 12.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Finding a Practitioner
The best and safest option for medical prostate massage is to visit a doctor 12. A medical doctor can safely perform a prostate massage without concern that too much pressure will be applied to the gland 12. In addition, a doctor may be able to teach you or your partner how to perform a prostate massage safely and without the need for a costly visit to the doctor 12.
Painful Symptoms of Prostatitis
The next best option is to have a spouse or partner perform the massage. There are many websites that can teach you how to perform the massage, but the safest way to learn the technique is from your doctor.
Learn how to perform self-massage. There are many devices on the market that allow you easy access to your own prostate. Do this very carefully, as the gland itself is delicate and surrounded by nerves that could cause extreme pain if they are irritated. Again, speak to your doctor about how to best perform the massage on yourself safely.
Always evacuate your bowels prior to receiving a prostate massage. Do your best to relax during the procedure.
Ejaculation is common during prostate massage, but it is not always going to happen.
Do not use the devices for self-massage in a sexual manner. These devices are designed for a specific purpose, and misusing them could potentially damage the anus or the prostate gland.
Do not go to massage therapists seeking prostate massage. It is beyond their scope of practice, and in most states it is illegal for them to perform that service.
- The best and safest option for medical prostate massage is to visit a doctor 1.
- Again, speak to your doctor about how to best perform the massage on yourself safely.
Painful Symptoms of Prostatitis
Can the Prostate Be Checked With a Colonscopy?
Medical Reasons for Male Urethra Stretching
Symptoms of an Infected Prostate
Main Organs of the Reproductive System
How to Treat Phimosis With Stretching Exercises
Chinese Massage Benefits
What Is a Yoni Massage?
How to Massage The Prostate to Check for Prostate Cancer
What Are the Causes of Painful Ejaculation?
- Prostate Massage Questions
- Prostate Massage or Drainage
- Farman GF. Prostatic massage: A practical and theoretical discussion. JAMA. 1922;79(16):1328-31. doi:10.1001/jama.1922.02640160048016
- Chang RT, Kirby R, Challacombe BJ. Is there a link between BPH and prostate cancer? Practitioner. 2012;256(1750):13-6, 2.
- Rowland D, Gutierrez BR. Phases of the sexual response cycle. In: Psychology Faculty Publications. 2017,
- Capodice JL, Stone AB, Katz AE. Evaluation of an At-Home-Use Prostate Massage Device for Men with Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms. The Open Urology & Nephrology Journal. 2009;2:20-23. doi:10.2174/1874303X01002010020
- Levin RJ. Prostate‐induced orgasms: A concise review illustrated with a highly relevant case study. Clin Anatomy. 2018 Jan;31(1);81-5. doi:10.1002/ca.23006
- Coker TJ, Dierfeldt DM. Acute Bacterial Prostatitis: Diagnosis and Management. Am Fam Physician. 2016 Jan 15;93(2):114-20.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Final Recommendation Statement: Prostate Cancer: Screening. Rockville, Maryland; October 2018.
- Always evacuate your bowels prior to receiving a prostate massage.
- Do your best to relax during the procedure.
- Ejaculation is common during prostate massage, but it is not always going to happen.
- Do not use the devices for self-massage in a sexual manner. These devices are designed for a specific purpose, and misusing them could potentially damage the anus or the prostate gland.
- Do not go to massage therapists seeking prostate massage. It is beyond their scope of practice, and in most states it is illegal for them to perform that service.
Stephen Venneman is a 10-year veteran TV news producer and licensed massage therapist. He holds a Bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Oregon, a Masters in health and wellness psychology from the University of the Rockies, a diploma in massage therapy from Apollo College, and certification in neck and cervical spine pain relief as well as cupping therapy.