How to Numb Your Nose
Numbing your nose is a practical, safe procedure that can make piercing your nose simpler, more accurate and less painful. When numbing your nose, however, it is important to do so around another individual to ensure the process is safe and efficient.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Benefits and Procedure Of Nose Numbing
Understanding the risks and benefits of numbing your nose is important before completing the procedure. Numbing the tissue on the nose is useful when getting your nose pierced, as the needle can traverse the skin easily, making the process less painful and quicker. Numbing your nose when self-piercing can also help create a more accurate needle incision, as the pain will not distract your mind and influence your actions. Although some piercing and tattoo parlors may numb your nose for you, following a simple nose numbing procedure beforehand can ensure your piercing is safe, effective and painless.
How to Care for Your Broken Nose
To numb your nose, collect an ice-cube, paper towel and timer. Wrap an ice cube in a paper towel or napkin and hold to nose for three to four minutes. It is important to first wrap the ice so as not to damage nerve endings in the nose. After two minutes, remove ice and check to ensure nose is numb. If it is not numb, return ice to nose and hold for an additional two minutes. One nose is numb, immediately pierce nose or enter piercing parlor.
After your nose is numb, you can complete the piercing process, either by a professional in a piercing parlor or by yourself. If piercing your own nose, however, it is important to sterilize all equipment, including the needle, earring stud and clasp. In addition, it is important to clean the nose thoroughly using rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. It is important to have another person present, whether piercing your own nose or having your nose pierced professionally, to ensure your safety during and after the procedure.
- Understanding the risks and benefits of numbing your nose is important before completing the procedure.
- Numbing your nose when self-piercing can also help create a more accurate needle incision, as the pain will not distract your mind and influence your actions.
How to Care for Your Broken Nose
Itchy Skin on the Nose
How to Get Rid of a Nose Ring Scar
How to Reduce Nasal Tip Swelling After Rhinoplasty
How to Clean an Infected Nose Piercing Site
How to Identify Symptoms of a Nose Fracture
Is It Better to Use a Ring Instead of a Stud for Lip Piercings While Healing?
Oxygen & Severe Nosebleeds
How to Minimize Scarring With Monroe Piercings
How to Remove a Mole on a Nose
- Sforza C, Grandi G, De Menezes M, Tartaglia G, Ferrario V. Age- and sex-related changes in the normal human external nose. Forensic Sci Int. 2011;204(1-3):205.e1-205.e9. doi:10.1016/j.forsciint.2010.07.027
- Sharma P, Arora A, Valiathan A. Age changes of jaws and soft tissue profile. ScientificWorldJournal. 2014;2014:301501. doi: 10.1155/2014/301501
- Lee JW, McHugh J, Kim JC, Baker SR, Moyer JS. Age-Related Histologic Changes in Human Nasal Cartilage. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2013;15(4):256-262. doi:10.1001/jamafacial.2013.825
- Feng Wen Y, Ming Wong H, McGrath CP. A longitudinal study of facial growth of Southern Chinese in Hong Kong: Comprehensive photogrammetric analyses. PLoS One. 2017; 12(10): e0186598. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0186598
- Sforza, Chiarella, Grandi, Gaia, De Menezes, Marcio, Tartaglia, Gianluca M and Ferrario, Virgilio F. Age- and Sex-Related Changes in the Normal Human External Nose. Forensic Science International. Vol 204, Issue 1-3, pp. 205.e1-205.e9
- van der Heijden P, Korsten-Meijer AG, van der Laan BF, Wit HP, Goorhuis-Brouwer SM. Nasal growth and maturation age in adolescents: a systematic review. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008 Dec;134(12):1288-93. doi: 10.1001/archoto.2008.501
Elizabeth Baker holds a Masters of Fine Arts in nonfiction writing and has been working with Demand Media Studios since 2002, specializing in health, education, food and travel topics.