Neuropathies are disorders or dysfunction of the peripheral nerves--those outside the brain and spinal cord 2. Hereditary diseases, trauma, toxins, infections, medications and systemic and autoimmune diseases can all cause neuropathy in which sensory and motor functions -- muscle movement and strength -- can be impaired. Pain is a common symptom whenever a sensory nerves sustains neuropathic damage.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Burning and Pinprick Sensations
Sensory neuropathies can cause burning and pinprick sensations, which generally indicate involvement of small-fiber sensory nerves. Tingling, numbness, itching and weakness may accompany these symptoms. Disorders associated with this type of neuropathic pain include diabetic neuropathy, HIV-related neuropathy, Lyme disease, sarcoidosis, shingles, systemic lupus erythematosus, niacin and thiamine deficiencies, stress injuries (such as:
- carpal tunnel syndrome)
- multiple sclerosis
- Guillain-Barré syndrome
Joint Pain from Herpes
Whereas the burning and pinprick varieties of neuropathic pain are considered aberrant or unusual sensations, more typical pain also occurs. Typical pain can occur with any of the disorders and conditions that cause aberrant neuropathic pain, however, some causes of neuropathy are more likely to elicit this type of pain than others. These include:
- systemic lupus erythematosus
Neuropathy can result in extreme sensitivity to touch, which triggers a pain response from an experience or stimulus that does not normally cause pain. This abnormal pain response is called allodynia. In its most extreme form, this symptom makes it difficult to tolerate the movement of air, wearing clothing, bathing and a myriad of other tasks of daily living wherein the skin makes contact with the environment.
Causes of Burning Calf Pain
Muscular pain, also known as myalgia, may be a symptom of neuropathy. Conditions associated with neuropathic myalgia include high-dose l-tryptophan ingestion, fibromyalgia, Sjögren’s syndrome, porphyria and amyloidosis.
Some neuropathies are associated with pain limited to a specific area of the body. Trigeminal neuralgia -- also known as tic douloureux -- is a peripheral neuropathy involving the trigeminal nerve of the face. The disorder causes intense episodic pain on one side of the face--commonly in the jaw, cheek or temporal area. Spinal cord injuries also cause localized neuropathic pain; the location of the pain is usually dictated by the area of the spinal cord that was injured.
- Some neuropathies are associated with pain limited to a specific area of the body.
- Spinal cord injuries also cause localized neuropathic pain; the location of the pain is usually dictated by the area of the spinal cord that was injured.
Joint Pain from Herpes
Causes of Burning Calf Pain
What Are the Symptoms of Nerve Damage in the Wrist?
What Are the Causes of Intense Painful Itching?
Fibroids & Leg Pain
Lexapro for Neuropathy Pain
Symptoms of Muscle, Leg & Shoulder Pain
Upper Body Muscle Pain
Pain & Itch Relief
Causes of a Sore Tongue
- “Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 16th Edition”; Dennis L. Kasper, M.D., et al, Editors; 2004
- “Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease, 5th Edition”; Ramzi S. Cotran, M.D., et al, Editors; 1994
- Cleveland Clinic Health Library. Neuropathic Pain. Reviewed June 18, 2015.
- International Neuromodulation Society. Neuropathy, Neuropathic Pain, and Painful Peripheral Neuropathy: Many Kinds, Causes, and Treatments. Reviewed August 7, 2017.
- Colloca L, Ludman T, Bouhassira D, et al. Neuropathic pain. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017;3:17002. Published 2017 Feb 16. doi:10.1038/nrdp.2017.2
- Mohty B, El-Cheikh J, Yakoub-Agha I, Moreau P, Harousseau JL, Mohty M. Peripheral neuropathy and new treatments for multiple myeloma: background and practical recommendations. Haematologica. 2010;95(2):311–319. doi:10.3324/haematol.2009.012674
- Fallon MT. Neuropathic pain in cancer. Br J Anaesth. 2013;111(1):105–111. doi:10.1093/bja/aet208
- Campbell JN, Meyer RA. Mechanisms of neuropathic pain. Neuron. 2006;52(1):77–92. doi:10.1016/j.neuron.2006.09.021
- Trevelyan EG, Turner WA, Robinson N. Perceptions of phantom limb pain in lower limb amputees and its effect on quality of life: a qualitative study. Br J Pain. 2016;10(2):70–77. doi:10.1177/2049463715590884
- National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Fact Sheet. Updated August 13, 2019.
- Merck Manual: Consumer Version. Neuropathic Pain. Updated October 2018.
- Eli Lilly and Company. Highlights of Prescribing Information. Updated October 2019.
- Hocaoğlu N, Murat N, Mıcılı SC, Aydın B, Ergür BU, Kalkan Ş. Correlation between Amitriptyline-Induced Cardiotoxic Effects and Cardiac S100b Protein in Isolated Rat Hearts. Balkan Med J. 2016;33(6):681–687. doi:10.5152/balkanmedj.2016.150435
- U.S. National Library of Medicine, StatPearls. Amitriptyline. Updated October 12, 2019.
- Pfizer. Neurontin (gabapentin) capsules, tablets, oral solution: Information for Patients. Updated October 2017.
- Pfizer Parke-Davis. Lyrica-pregabalin capsule; Lyrica-pregabalin solution. Highlights of Prescribing Information. Updated May 2019.
- Harvard Medical School, Harvard Health Publishing. Going Off Antidepressants. Updated August 13, 2018.
- Vernachio K, Lovett AW, Williams J. A review of withdraw strategies for discontinuing antiepileptic therapy in epilepsy and pain management. Pharm Pharmacol Int J. 2015;3(1):232-235. doi:10.15406/ppij.2015.03.00045
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Opioid Overdose: Prescription Opioids. Reviewed August 29, 2017.
- American Society of Anesthesiologists. What Are Opioids.
- The University of Iowa, GeriatricPain.org. Side Effects of Opioid Medications and General Approaches to Management.
- Ibrahim AM, Obaidi Z, Ruan G, Adaramola D, Onguti S. Nalbuphine for Opioid-Induced Urine Retention. Ann Intern Med. 2018;169(12):894–895. doi:10.7326/L18-0387
- Dhingra L, Ahmed E, Shin J, Scharaga E, Magun M. Cognitive Effects and Sedation. Pain Med. 2015;16 Suppl 1:S37–S43. doi:10.1111/pme.12912
- Merck Manual: Professional Version. Neuropathic Pain. Updated August 2018.
- The University of California, UCSF Health. Trigeminal Neuralgia Treatments.
- American Cancer Society. What Is Peripheral Neuropathy? Published September 24, 2018.
- The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy. Massage for Neuropathy.
- Fornasari D. Pharmacotherapy for Neuropathic Pain: A Review. Pain Ther. 2017;6(Suppl 1):25-33. doi:10.1007/s40122-017-0091-4
- Gilron I, Baron R, Jensen T. Neuropathic pain: principles of diagnosis and treatment. Mayo Clin Proc. 2015;90(4):532-45. doi:10.1016/j.mayocp.2015.01.018
- McNicol ED, Midbari A, Eisenberg E. Opioids for neuropathic pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Aug 29;(8):CD006146. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD006146.pub2
Dr. Tina M. St. John owns and operates a health communications and consulting firm. She is also an accomplished medical writer and editor, and was formerly a senior medical officer with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. St. John holds an M.D. from Emory University School of Medicine.