What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Shingles most commonly affect the skin on the torso and sometimes on the neck and face. However, in some cases, the penis and surrounding areas can also be involved in a shingles outbreak.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
The classic symptoms of shingles are pain, which can be severe, followed by a red rash that blisters. This typically occurs on one side of the body, as the rash follows the path of a nerve.
Shingles Without Pain
When shingles attacks the penis there can also be a discharge of mucus and pus or pus only from the penis, according to Laxmisha Chandrashekar and her colleagues at the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) in India.
In addition to discharge and sores, shingles on the penis may lead to difficulty or pain while urinating (dysuria), according to JIPMER.
Joint Pain from Herpes
Individuals who suspect they have shingles should seek medical treatment as soon as possible, as antiviral drugs are most effective when started during the first three days after the development of symptoms 2.
People with penile shingles should ask their doctor about the safety of using topical agents on their sores to avoid unnecessary discomfort or complications.
Shingles Without Pain
Joint Pain from Herpes
Symptoms of Herpes of the Spine
The Side Effects of Shingles in the Elderly
The Stages of Shingles Rash
Diseases Like Shingles
Herpes Symptoms on the Labia Minora
How Long Does Shingles Pain Last?
What Is the Incubation Period for Shingles?
Knee Pain From Shingles
- Laxmisha Chandrashekar, et al.: Penile Zoster with Urethritis
- Mayoclinic.com: Shingles Treatment
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Shingles (Herpes Zoster) Signs & Symptoms.
- John AR, Canaday DH. Herpes Zoster in the Older Adult. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2017;31(4):811-826. doi: 10.1016/j.idc.2017.07.016
- Yun H, Xie F, Baddley JW, Winthrop K, Saag KG, Curtis JR. Longterm Effectiveness of Herpes Zoster Vaccine among Patients with Autoimmune and Inflammatory Diseases. J Rheumatol. 2017;44(7):1083-1087. doi: 10.3899/jrheum.160685
- Cohen KR, Salbu RL, Frank J, Israel I. Presentation and Management of Herpes Zoster (Shingles) in the Geriatric Population. P T. 2013;38(4): 217-224, 227.
- Galetta KM, Gilden D. Zeroing in on zoster: A tale of many disorders produced by one virus. J Neurol Sci. 2015;358(1-2):38-45. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2015.10.004
- Blank LJ, Polydefkis MJ, Moore RD, Gebo KA. Herpes zoster among persons living with HIV in the current antiretroviral therapy era. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012;61(2):203-7. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0b013e318266cd3c
- Mallick-searle T, Snodgrass B, Brant JM. Postherpetic neuralgia: epidemiology, pathophysiology, and pain management pharmacology. J Multidiscip Healthc. 2016;9:447-454. doi: 10.2147/JMDH.S106340
- Johnson RW, Bouhassira D, Kassianos G, Leplège A, Schmader KE, Weinke T. The impact of herpes zoster and post-herpetic neuralgia on quality-of-life. BMC Med. 2010;8:37. doi: 10.1186/1741-7015-8-37
- Sampathkumar P, Drage LA, Martin DP. Herpes zoster (shingles) and postherpetic neuralgia. Mayo Clin Proc. 2009;84(3):274-80.
- Pereira LB. Impetigo - review. An Bras Dermatol. 2014;89(2):293-9. doi: 10.1590/abd1806-4841.20142283
- Gershon AA, Breuer J, Cohen JI, et al. Varicella zoster virus infection. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2015;1:15016. doi: 10.1038/nrdp.2015.16
- Naveen KN, Pradeep AV, Kumar JS, Hegde SP, Pai VV, Athanikar SB. Herpes zoster affecting all three divisions of trigeminal nerve in an immunocompetent male: a rare presentation. Indian J Dermatol. 2014;59(4):423. doi: 10.4103/0019-5154.135548
- Opstelten W, Zaal MJ. Managing ophthalmic herpes zoster in primary care. BMJ. 2005;331(7509):147-51. doi: 10.1136/bmj.331.7509.147
- Jeon Y, Lee H. Ramsay Hunt syndrome. J Dent Anesth Pain Med. 2018;18(6):333-337. doi: 10.17245/jdapm.2018.18.6.333
- Kim SH, Choi SM, Kim BC, et al. Risk Factors for Aseptic Meningitis in Herpes Zoster Patients. Ann Dermatol. 2017;29(3):283-287. doi: 10.5021/ad.2017.29.3.283
- Saxena A, Khiangte B, Tiewsoh I, Jajoo UN. Herpes zoster encephalitis presenting as multiple cerebral hemorrhages - a rare presentation: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2013;7:155. doi: 10.1186/1752-1947-7-155
- Teo HK, Chawla M, Kaushik M. A Rare Complication of Herpes Zoster: Segmental Zoster Paresis. Case Rep Med. 2016;2016:7827140. doi: 10.1155/2016/7827140
- American Academy of Dermatology. Cellulitis: Overview.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology. Herpes Zoster Ophthalmicus.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Shingles (Herpes Zoster): Clinical Overview. Feb 21, 2018.
- Mayo Clinic. Postherpetic Neuralgia. Sept 16, 2015.
Erik Steel is a graduate of the University of Michigan, earning his bachelor's degree in Russian. Steel has worked as writer for more than four years and has contributed content to eHow and Pluck on Demand. His work recently appeared in the literary journal "Arsenic Lobster."