Negative Side Effects to Using Colloidal Silver
**Millions of people across the North American continent use colloidal silver as a daily supplement and as a natural treatment for a wide variety of conditions.
** Colloidal silver has historical and clinically documented uses as a broad spectrum anti-microbal.
Among a wide variety of perplexing diseases and syndromes colloidal silver has been used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Hepatitis B, HIV, AIDS and a long list of bacteria and viruses in both human beings and animals. When taken in daily doses, it appears to provide overall immune system support.
Colloidal silver has very few side effects and no known drug interactions. The two possible side effects most often noted by users is the Herxheimer Effect and occasional intestinal upset. These side effects are generally very mild.
Colloidal silver is extremely safe and inexpensive when compared to pharmaceutical drugs.
Colloidal Silver is Generally Safe in Suggested Doses
Colloidal silver, used as a supplement, has very few, if any, negative side effects. It is generally safe to take 1 to 2 tbsp. of 5 parts per million (ppm) colloidal silver once or twice per day. This is true even for first-time users of colloidal silver.
Even in larger does, colloidal silver, if properly manufactured to produce a very small particle size and using only pure, distilled water and 0.999 sterling silver, should result in no side effects in the majority of regular users.
- Colloidal silver, used as a supplement, has very few, if any, negative side effects.
The Herxheimer Effect
The Toxicity of Plug-In Air Fresheners
The Herxheimer Effect is the most often cited negative side effect among colloidal silver users, although it is rare and the manifestation of the symptoms are generally mild. The scientific name for this phenomenon is Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction 1.
The main caution with colloidal silver is to new users whose bodies may be excessively toxic. For the first week or two of usage, new users should be careful to take only the minimum suggested dosage.
With any natural supplement or antibiotic that works by eliminating pathogens from the body, there can be such a rapid detoxification that the body cannot assimilate the changes. This can result in some discomfort that may include chills, fever, headaches, weakness and flu-like symptoms as the cells in the body release harmful bacteria.
- The Herxheimer Effect is the most often cited negative side effect among colloidal silver users, although it is rare and the manifestation of the symptoms are generally mild.
Colloidal Can Destroy Beneficial Bacteria
Excessive use of colloidal silver has the reported side effect of intestinal discomfort and constipation. This side effect is generally mild. It is the result of colloidal silver attacking beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract.
In affected individuals, it is suggested that the amount of colloidal consumption be reduced to suggested dosages until the problem subsides. The natural flora of the intestinal tract will be restored over time.
But, it can be expedited by supplementation with enzymes such as lactobacillus acidophilus and bifodophilus. These probiotics can be purchased in capsules and are naturally found in yogurt and kiefer that contains live cultures and are available at most health food stores.
- Excessive use of colloidal silver has the reported side effect of intestinal discomfort and constipation.
- In affected individuals, it is suggested that the amount of colloidal consumption be reduced to suggested dosages until the problem subsides.
The Argyria Controversy
Nevella Sweetener Side Effects
Because of the efforts of the popular media, colloidal silver is wrongly associated with the medical condition known as argyria. Properly made colloidal silver does not cause argyria.
Most modern cases of argyria are found in people who work in some aspect of the silver industry and are the result of tiny silver particles that become embedded in the skin. In the past, argyria was iatrogenically induced by the use of silver nitrate (a silver compound that should not be confused with pure silver) in the form of drops applied to mucous membranes or injected into patients.
There are a few modern cases of argyria that have been induced by the consumption of silver compounds, most commonly, silver chloride, which is a compound of silver and sodium. This compound is not the same substance as colloidal silver.
- Because of the efforts of the popular media, colloidal silver is wrongly associated with the medical condition known as argyria.
Colloidal silver works in a very different way from allopathic drugs.
It has no know interactions with any pharmaceuticals. Nor, should it interfere with any other natural therapies.
Colloidal silver is not known to have a cumulative effect.
Colloidal silver particles are excreted by the body in a short period of time. So there is no need to fear when taking colloidal silver over a sustained period of time.
- Colloidal silver works in a very different way from allopathic drugs.
- So there is no need to fear when taking colloidal silver over a sustained period of time.
The Toxicity of Plug-In Air Fresheners
Nevella Sweetener Side Effects
Side Effects of Glucosamine Chondroitin on the Liver
Negative Side Effects of Royal Maca
Problems With Sucralose
What Happens If Humans Take Rimadyl?
How to Use Serrapeptase
Health Effect of Magnets
How to Use Miralax As a Detox
Symptoms of Human Intestinal Parasites
- Jarisch Herxheimer Reaction
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Colloidal silver. Updated January 17, 2019.
- Dakal TC, Kumar A, Majumdar RS, Yadav V. Mechanistic basis of antimicrobial actions of silver nanoparticles. Front Microbiol. 2016;7:1831. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2016.01831
- Lansdown AB. A pharmacological and toxicological profile of silver as an antimicrobial agent in medical devices. Adv Pharmacol Sci. 2010;2010:910686. doi:10.1155/2010/910686
- Gianino E, Miller C, Gilmore J. Smart wound dressings for diabetic chronic wounds. Bioengineering (Basel). 2018;5(3). doi:10.3390/bioengineering5030051
- Oryan A, Alemzadeh E, Tashkhourian J, Nami ana SF. Topical delivery of chitosan-capped silver nanoparticles speeds up healing in burn wounds: A preclinical study. Carbohydr Polym. 2018;200:82-92. doi:10.1016/j.carbpol.2018.07.077
- Lencastre A, Lobo M, João A. Argyria -- case report. An Bras Dermatol. 2013;88(3):413-6. doi:10.1590/abd1806-4841.20131864
- NIH National Toxicology Program. Testing status of silver acetate M000073. Updated March 3, 2020.
- Mirsattari SM, Hammond RR, Sharpe MD, Leung FY, Young GB. Myoclonic status epilepticus following repeated oral ingestion of colloidal silver. Neurology. 2004;62(8):1408-10. doi:10.1212/01.wnl.0000120671.73335.ec
Angela Kaelin is a writer of fiction and non-fiction alternative health, occult and business-related subjects. She has a Bachelor of Arts degree in English literature, has owned and operated two metaphysical book stores, is a licensed real estate agent, and has a strong background in retail, sales and marketing.