The lung is a respiratory organ that transports oxygen that has been breathed in through the mouth or nose into the blood stream. The lungs also allow for the evacuation of carbon dioxide into the air from the blood stream. Lung inflammation occurs when the lungs become inflamed due to a virus or an infection 12. The treatment for lung inflammation is determined by the cause of the inflammation 12. There are many causes of lung inflammation 12.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
There are several symptoms of lung inflammation, such as a fever, coughs, chills and shortness of breath 12. Sharp pains while inhaling, shallow breaths and chest pains during deep breaths are all signs of inflammations in the lungs. If you have pleurisy there will be limited movement on the side of the chest that has the pleurisy. A doctor with a stethoscope will hear a coarse, creaky sound. Elevated body temperatures are also a symptom of lung inflammation 12.
Causes of Chest Tightness and Cough
Inflammation of the lungs happens along the respiratory pathway 1. The respiratory pathway begins with the nasopharynx and the oropharynx, which is located at the back of the throat where the air goes down when we breathe. The air goes through the larynx, which is the voice box, and the trachea, which is commonly known as the wind pipe. The air than goes through a subdivided area of the lungs that includes the bronchi and bronchioles, and the air ends at the alveoli, which is where the carbon dioxide and oxygen are exchanged.
- Inflammation of the lungs happens along the respiratory pathway 1.
- The air than goes through a subdivided area of the lungs that includes the bronchi and bronchioles, and the air ends at the alveoli, which is where the carbon dioxide and oxygen are exchanged.
The leading cause of lung inflammation is a virus or infection 12. One of the most common causes of lung inflammation is pleurisy 12. The pleura resembles a sack that is formed around the lungs. This infection is caused by a bacteria or a virus. Bronchitis is caused by an infection that inflames the airway within the lungs. Bronchiolitis--the inflammation of the bronchioles, which are the air passages of the lungs--is caused by a virus 1.
Lung inflammation is commonly treated with aspirin or other NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen or Indocin, which reduce fever, pain and inflammation 12. Codeine may also be given to patients who experience a lot of pain. Thoracentesis is a procedure that helps patients breathe more easily and removes the effusion (escape of fluid) in the lungs. To help lower the risk of lung inflammation it is important not to smoke, to stay away from asbestos and to protect yourself from chemicals and dust 12. A healthy diet is also beneficial to build a healthy immune system to fight off infection.
Lung inflammation may be a symptom of a more severe medical condition, such as lung disease 12. There are over 1500 causes of lung inflammation, it is important to seek medical attention to determine the cause of the inflammation to the lungs as well as a proper treatment 12. Certain symptoms such as a high fever, difficulty breathing and pain in the lungs are considered a medical emergency, and you should contact your doctor immediately.
Causes of Chest Tightness and Cough
What Causes Hardening of the Lungs?
Excessively Coughing? Here's Why
Bronchitis Symptoms With Allergies
List of Acute Diseases
Signs and Symptoms of Varicella Pneumonia
Pancreatic Cancer & Fluid Buildup in the Lungs
What Is Basilar Consolidation?
Does Whey Protein Cause Inflammation?
- about inflammation
- treatments for lung inflammation
- Defnet AE, Hasday JD, Shapiro P. Kinase inhibitors in the treatment of obstructive pulmonary diseases [published online ahead of print, 2020 Apr 30]. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2020;51:11-18. doi:10.1016/j.coph.2020.03.005
- Xu S, Liu C, Ji HL. Concise review: Therapeutic potential of the mesenchymal stem cell derived secretome and extracellular vesicles for radiation-induced lung injury: Progress and hypotheses. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2019;8(4):344-354.doi:10.1002/sctm.18-0038
- NIH MedlinePlus. Costochondritis. Updated October 8, 2018.
- Tselios K, Urowitz MB. Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Manifestations of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Curr Rheumatol Rev. 2017;13(3):206-218.doi:10.2174/1573397113666170704102444
- Giacalone VD, Dobosh BS, Gaggar A, Tirouvanziam R, Margaroli C. Immunomodulation in Cystic Fibrosis: Why and How?. Int J Mol Sci. 2020;21(9) May 8.doi:10.3390/ijms21093331
- Lopalco G, Rigante D, Cantarini L, et al. The autoinflammatory side of recurrent pericarditis: Enlightening the pathogenesis for a more rational treatment. Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2020;May 3.doi:10.1016/j.tcm.2020.04.006
- Pan Z, Xu ML. T-cell and NK-cell lymphomas in the lung. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2020;May 16.doi:10.1053/j.semdp.2020.04.003
Nicole Murray is a full-time freelancer in Chicago, Ill., who has been writing since 2004. She has published articles in "Stone Magazine," ColorsNW.com, "Reservoir Magazine," "Canadian Builders Quarterly" and Blackballot.com. She has her undergraduate degree in creative writing and marketing from Columbia College.