List of Antifungal Creams
Fungal infections can occur anywhere on the body--even inside the mouth (oral lichen planus), acording to the Mayo Clinic. To treat these infections on the skin, a variety of both prescription-strength and over-the-counter (OTC) topical applications are available to treat such fungal infections as athlete's foot, nail fungus and jock itch.
One of the more common OTC antifungal creams is clotrimazole, which goes by the brand names Lotrimin AF Athlete's Foot Cream or Lotrimin AF Jock Itch Cream (in the United States) and Canesten (in Canada). Other common OTC antifungal creams include the brand names Monistat 1 (tioconazole), Tinactin (tolnaftate), Lamisil (terbinafine), and Aloe Vesta, Baza and Carrington antifungals (miconazole).
Prescription and Stronger Creams
How to Get Rid of Ringworm in Seven Days
Stronger concentrations of medically active ingredients means that some of these creams require a doctor's prescription. Products containing the active antifungal ingredient nystatin include the brand names Bio-Statin, Mycostatin, Nystop, Pedi-Dri and Nystat-Rx; products with the active ingredient butenafine include Lotrimin Ultra and Mentax; those with the active antifungal fluconazole and terconazole include Diflucan and Terazole, respectively.
When dealing with topical antifungal creams, avoid contact with eyes and wash your hands before applying them to the skin. Alternatively, the University of Maryland Medical Center advises wearing disposable gloves. Apply a thin film to the affected area, and, if desired, cover it up with a porous dressing. If you experience a persistent burning, swelling or itching feeling at the application site, or if there's a lack of response to the cream or a worsening of symptoms, contact your doctor.
- When dealing with topical antifungal creams, avoid contact with eyes and wash your hands before applying them to the skin.
- Apply a thin film to the affected area, and, if desired, cover it up with a porous dressing.
How to Get Rid of Ringworm in Seven Days
Ketoconazole Cream Uses
Jock Itch Creams
How to Kill Ringworm on the Arms
Antifungal Creams for the Groin
Antibiotics Used for Yeast Infections
How to Treat Acne With Hydrocortisone
How to Get Rid of Folliculitis Scars
How to Use Promogran Prisma Matrix Wound Dressing
Creams for Severely Cracked Hands
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Antifungal Medications
- Mayo Clinic: Athlete's Foot
- Roussos P, Lewis RE, Kontoyiannis DP. Azoles and antidepressants: a mini-review of the tolerability of co-administration. Mycoses. 2009;52(5):433–439. doi:10.1111/j.1439-0507.2008.01677.x
- Kumar L, Verma S, Bhardwaj A, Vaidya S, Vaidya B. Eradication of superficial fungal infections by conventional and novel approaches: a comprehensive review. Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol. 2014;42(1):32–46. doi:10.3109/21691401.2013.769446
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration. Highlights of prescribing information. Oleptro (trazodone hydrochloride). Updated January 2010.
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration. Abilify (ariprprazole) tablets. Updated 2005.
- Grimm SW, Richtand NM, Winter HR, Stams KR, Reele SB. Effects of cytochrome P450 3A modulators ketoconazole and carbamazepine on quetiapine pharmacokinetics. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2006;61(1):58–69. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2125.2005.02507.x
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration. Highlights of prescribing information. Norvasc (amlodipine bsylate). Updated May 2011.
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration. Xanax alprazolam tablets, USP. Updated September 2016.
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration. Valium brand of diazepam tablets. Updated 2016.
- Van Der Kuy PH, Van Den Heuvel HA, Kempen RW, Vanmolkot LM. Pharmacokinetic interaction between nortriptyline and terbinafine. Ann Pharmacother. 2002;36(11):1712–1714. doi:10.1345/aph.1C083
- Drug Interaction Checker. Drugs.com.
- Drug interactions between Calan and Clotrimazole. Drugs.com.
- Drug interactions between miconazole and Xanax. Drugs.com.
Max Stirner is a New York-based writer and editor with over a decade of experience. He has a Master's degree in Library and Information Science, and is a published writer, both in print and online.