Physicians may prescribe the generically named drug escitalopram in the treatment of GAD or generalized anxiety disorder, or to help people with mental depression, MayoClinic.com reports 13. Like some other newer antidepressant medications, escitalopram--sold in the United States as Lexapro--is classified as an SSRI or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor 3. This means the medication works to make the neurotransmitter serotonin more effective inside the person’s brain, which helps to reduce anxiety and depression symptoms.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
As with many antidepressant drugs, Lexapro can cause a man to experience a reduction in his sex drive. The medication works in the brain to alleviate depression, but it can have adverse sexual side effects. One of the most common complaints about taking antidepressants in general centers around their effects on people’s sex lives. Lexapro causes this lowered libido only during the first stages of use in most men, MayoClinic.com indicates. The normal desire for sexual intercourse should return as the man becomes accustomed to having Lexapro in his body.
- As with many antidepressant drugs, Lexapro can cause a man to experience a reduction in his sex drive.
Venlor XR Side Effects
Lexapro may cause a man to find it difficult to ejaculate during sexual relations. This may mean an inability to have an orgasm or a delay in ejaculating. In either case, the side effect classifies as non-serious and typically ceases to cause problems after the man’s adjustment to Lexapro.
While Lexapro works to fight anxiety or depression, it also causes unintended problems in some men, such as impotence. Impotence means the man may not be able to achieve an erection even with sexual stimulation, or he may achieve an erection but then lose it during sexual activities. This may cause a decrease in the man’s ability to perform sexually. This adverse reaction to taking Lexapro is usually a temporary problem, ending after the man adjusts to the drug. If it does not end on its own, however, MayoClinic.com recommends consulting a physician for help.
- While Lexapro works to fight anxiety or depression, it also causes unintended problems in some men, such as impotence.
- This adverse reaction to taking Lexapro is usually a temporary problem, ending after the man adjusts to the drug.
Common Side Effects of Pristiq
The medication called Lexapro also can cause the person to experience a sudden drop in blood pressure when getting up from a sitting or standing position. The condition, known by the medical term postural hypotension, can make the man feel as though he may faint or that the room spins around him. He may feel light-headed, and the dizziness that occurs can cause him to fall down and potentially injure himself. Postural hypotension, too, is a non-serious side effect of the medication that should end on its own.
- The medication called Lexapro also can cause the person to experience a sudden drop in blood pressure when getting up from a sitting or standing position.
- The condition, known by the medical term postural hypotension, can make the man feel as though he may faint or that the room spins around him.
Venlor XR Side Effects
Common Side Effects of Pristiq
Side Effects of Taking Wellbutrin and Celexa
Side Effects of Effexor: Low Libido
Flomax Sexual Side Effects
Sexual Side Effects of Ambien
Side Effects of Coming Off of Celexa
Side Effects of Effexor 37.5Mg
Antidepressants That Don't Affect the Libido
What Are the Sexual Side Effects of Cymbalta?
- MayoClinic.com: Escitalopram (Oral Route)
- Drugs.com: Lexapro Side Effects
- MedlinePlus: Escitalopram
- Steyn SF, Harvey BH, Brink CB. Immediate and long-term antidepressive-like effects of pre-pubertal escitalopram and omega-3 supplementation combination in young adult stress-sensitive rats. Behav Brain Res. 2018;351:49-62. doi:10.1016/j.bbr.2018.05.021
- Landy K, Estevez R. Escitalopram. StatPearls Updated May 6, 2020.
- Guzman F. Citalopram and escitalopram. Psychopharmacology Institute.
- Freeman EW, Guthrie KA, Caan B, et al. Efficacy of escitalopram for hot flashes in healthy menopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2011;305(3):267-274. doi:10.1001/jama.2010.2016
- Aga VM. When and how to treat agitation in Alzheimer's disease dementia with citalopram and escitalopram. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019;27(10):1099-1107. doi:10.1016/j.jagp.2019.04.016
- Li C, Chen L, Huo N, et al. Generic escitalopram initiation and substitution among Medicare beneficiaries: A new user cohort study. PLoS One. 2020;15(4):e0232226. Published 2020 Apr 30. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0232226
- Food and Drug Administration. Lexapro label. Updated January 2017.
- Florio V, Porcelli S, Saria A, Serretti A, Conca A. Escitalopram plasma levels and antidepressant response. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2017;27(9):940-944. doi:10.1016/j.euroneuro.2017.06.009
Carole Anne Tomlinson is a registered nurse with experience in rehabilitation, nutrition, chemical dependency, diabetes and health problems related to the elderly. Tomlinson holds a Bachelor of Arts in criminal justice and is presently working on her master's degree in nursing. Her screenplays have been viewed by Merchant Ivory, Angela Lansbury and Steven King's associates.