Neurontin, or gabapentin, is a medication that is commonly used to control partial seizures in epileptic patients 2. This medication increases the amount of GABA, which is a chemical that slows down nerve conduction in the brain. Researchers believe that low levels of GABA in the brain contribute to seizures; thus, increasing GABA reduces that number of seizures. In addition, Neurontin can be used to relieve pain in conditions such as shingles or diabetic peripheral neuropathy 2. A patient should be aware of the possible effects of taking 1200mg of Neurontin three times per day 2.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Patients taking the high dose of 1200mg of Neurontin three times per day may experience an increase in tremors, states Drugs.com 12. This occurs because Neurontin affects the way nerve signals travel through nerves 2. Thus, an alteration in nerve signaling can cause tremors in some patients. A tremor is a serious side effect that may be a sign that a patient is sensitive to the effects of Neurontin, or the patient may have overdosed on Neurontin 2. Therefore, a patient that experiences tremors after taking this medication should seek immediate medical treatment. An epileptic patient should not stop taking Neurontin, or he may increase his risk of having a seizure 2.
Mental & Emotional Effects of Ritalin
Neurontin may have effects on the brain 2. Specifically, Neurontin may cause a patient to feel depressed, according to MayoClinic.com 12. This occurs because Neurontin increase the levels of GABA, which may slow down nerve conduction in the part of the brain that is related to mood 2. Thus, a patient taking Neurontin may begin to feel depressed after beginning treatment 2. He may not have interest in activities that he used to be interested in, and he may have difficulty completing work or other daily task. In more severe cases of depression, a patient may have thoughts of suicide. Thus, a patient should not hesitate to let his doctor know that he is beginning to feel depressed.
- Neurontin may have effects on the brain 2.
- Thus, a patient should not hesitate to let his doctor know that he is beginning to feel depressed.
Rapid Eye Movement
Drugs.com states that a patient taking Neurontin may experience rapid back and forth movement of the eyes 12. This effect occurs because Neurontin affects nerves that control the eyes, which can cause rapid eye movement 2. The patient may notice this symptom; however, the patient’s family will likely be the first to notice rapid eye movements. This is a serious side effect that requires immediate medical treatment to prevent further complications. A doctor may change medications or prescribe a lower dose to prevent the unwanted effects of Neurontin 2.
Mental & Emotional Effects of Ritalin
Side Effects of Lyrica 75 mg
Cymbalta Withdrawal Symptoms
Side Effects of Effexor 37.5Mg
Side Effects of Fastin Diet Pills
Gabapentin & Caffeine
Adco-Talomil Side Effects
Focalin for Weight Loss & the Metabolism
How Does Lamictal Work on Depression?
What Are the Effects of 10 mg of Valium?
- MayoClinic.com: Neurontin
- Drugs.com: Neurontin
- Highlights of Prescribing Neurontin. Food and Drug Administration. Updated March 2017.
- FDA. (Revised 2015). Medication Guide: Neurontin.
- Fountoulakis KN et al. Treatment of bipolar disorder: a complex treatment for a multi-faceted disorder. Ann Gen Psychiatry. 2007 Oct 9;6:27.
- Melvin CL et al. Effectiveness of antiepileptic drugs for the treatment of bipolar disorder: findings from a systematic review. J Psychiatr Pract. 2008 Mar;14 Suppl 1:9-14.
- Pande AC, Crockatt JG, Janney CA, Werth JL & Tsaroucha G. Gabapentin in bipolar disorder: a placebo-controlled trial of adjunctive therapy. Gabapentin Bipolar Disorder Study Group. Bipolar Disord. 2000 Sep;2(3 Pt 2):249-55.
- Williams JW Jr, Ranney L, Morgan LC & Whitener L. How reviews covered the unfolding scientific story of gabapentin for bipolar disorder. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2009 May-Jun;31(3):279-87.
As a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician I have extensive experience in musculoskeletal/neurological medicine that will benefit the network.