Knuckle Pain & Stiffness
If you think about everything you use your fingers for, it should give you an indication of just how much pain and stiffness in the knuckle joints can affect your ability to go about day-to-day activities. If you have not sustained an injury to this area and are experiencing pain and stiffness, more than one condition could be the reason. See your doctor for a definitive diagnosis.
One of the more obvious potential causes of painful knuckle symptoms is osteoarthritis, which affects about one out of five people in the United States, according to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. This form of arthritis occurs when cartilage surrounding the joints breaks down, causing swelling, pain and limited movement of the affected area. Heavy use of your fingers for gripping can induce pain that occurs up to a day later than the activity. Stiffness typically occurs in the morning. You may also experience warmth and, in some cases, your knuckles may appear abnormally large.
- One of the more obvious potential causes of painful knuckle symptoms is osteoarthritis, which affects about one out of five people in the United States, according to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- This form of arthritis occurs when cartilage surrounding the joints breaks down, causing swelling, pain and limited movement of the affected area.
Early Signs of Arthritis in Fingers
Rheumatoid arthritis, which also affects the joints, is an autoimmune disease that can cause symptoms throughout the body. The cause of this disease is unclear, but genetics may play a role. The immune system attacks healthy tissues, leading to inflammation of the joints as well as other symptoms including fatigue, weakness and swollen glands. The finger and toe knuckles can be affected. Pain, stiffness and tingling sensations may occur in the hands and feet. Swelling of hands may also be a possibility, according to rheumatologist Dr. Johnny Su of the Cleveland Clinic.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, which also affects the joints, is an autoimmune disease that can cause symptoms throughout the body.
You may be surprised to learn that a thyroid disease could affect your knuckles, but it can. This disease occurs when your levels of thyroid hormone are too low. In addition to fatigue, dry skin and coldness, hypothyroidism can cause joint pain and stiffness. Swelling can also occur in the small joints of the hands and feet, such as the knuckles, according to Dr. Todd B. Nippoldt, an endocrinologist at the Mayo Clinic. Cognitive difficulties and constipation are additional possible symptoms.
- You may be surprised to learn that a thyroid disease could affect your knuckles, but it can.
- In addition to fatigue, dry skin and coldness, hypothyroidism can cause joint pain and stiffness.
Diseases That Affect the Tendons
Anti-inflammatory drugs are used in the treatment of both forms of arthritis. Steroid injections may also be used. When arthritis affects the hands, using a splint to stabilize the affected joints is also a possibility. If you have rheumatoid arthritis, your doctor may prescribe immune-depressing medications to help manage the disease. Physical therapy is used to maintain joint function. Surgery to repair a severely affected joint may be necessary in some cases. If your knuckle pain is the result of hypothyroidism, medications that regulate your hormone levels will be the primary treatment.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs are used in the treatment of both forms of arthritis.
Early Signs of Arthritis in Fingers
Diseases That Affect the Tendons
Pain and Swelling in the Shoulders, Arms and Hands
Pain When Stretching My Little Finger
Autoimmune Diseases That Cause Hair Loss
Drugs & Foods to Avoid for Hypothyroidism
Clicking Problems in the Wrists
Bursitis Symptoms vs Sciatica
Ankle Tendinitis Symptoms and Treatment
Stocking & Glove Neuropathy
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons: Arthritis of the Hand
- National Institutes of Health: Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Net Wellness; What Could Cause Pain and Soreness in Hands?; Johnny Su, M.D.; January 2008
- Mayo Clinic; Hypothyroidism: Does It Cause Joint Pain?; Todd B. Nippoldt, M.D.; August 2010
- American Thyroid Association; Hypothyroidism; 2005
- Gladman DD, Ritchlin C. Patient education: Psoriatic arthritis (Beyond the basics). UpToDate. Updated February 5, 2018.
- Docken WP. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of polymyalgia rheumatica. UpToDate. Updated October 8, 2019.
- Goldenberg DL. Patient education: Fibromyalgia (Beyond the basics). UpToDate. Updated June 21, 2018.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Osteoarthritis (OA). Updated January 10, 2019.
- MedlinePlus. Osteoarthritis. Updated January 6, 2020.
- Banks SE. Erosive osteoarthritis: a current review of a clinical challenge. Clin Rheumatol. 2010;29(7):697-706. doi:10.1007/s10067-009-1369-7
- Engel B, Just J, Bleckwenn M, Weckbecker K. Treatment options for gout. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2017;114(13):215-222. doi:10.3238/arztebl.2017.0215
- MacMullan P, McCarthy G. Treatment and management of pseudogout: insights for the clinician. Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis. 2011;4(2):121-131. doi:10.1177/1759720x11432559
- Arthritis Foundation. Infectious arthritis.
- Marks M, Marks JL. Viral arthritis. Clin Med (Lond). 2016;16(2):129-134. doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.16-2-129
- Sierakowski S, Cutolo M. Morning symptoms in rheumatoid arthritis: a defining characteristic and marker of active disease. Scand J Rheumatol. 2011;40(sup125):1-5. doi:10.3109/03009742.2011.566433
- Spondylitis Association of America. Overview of types of spondylitis.
- National Psoriasis Foundation. Psoriatic arthritis. Updated December 28, 2018.
- Gladman DD, Ritchlin C. Patient education: Psoriatic arthritis (Beyond the basics). Updated February 5, 2018.
- National Organization for Rare Disorders. Reactive Arthritis.
- Arvikar SL, Fisher MC. Inflammatory bowel disease associated arthropathy. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2011;4(3):123-131. doi:10.1007/s12178-011-9085-8
- Lam NC, Ghetu MV, Bieniek ML. Systemic lupus erythematosus: Primary care approach to diagnosis and management. Am Fam Physician. 2016;94(4):284-94.
- Docken WP. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of polymyalgia rheumatica. Updated October 8, 2019.
- Goldenberg DL. Patient education: Fibromyalgia (Beyond the basics). Updated June 21, 2018.
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Hashimoto's disease. Updated September 2017.
- Jaracz J, Gattner K, Jaracz K, Górna K. Unexplained painful physical symptoms in patients with major depressive disorder: Prevalence, pathophysiology and management. CNS Drugs. 2016;30(4):293-304. doi:10.1007/s40263-016-0328-5
- Solmaz D, Bakirci S, Kimyon G, et al. The impact of having family history of psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis on psoriatic disease. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2020;72(1):63-68. doi:10.1002/acr.23836
- Fouladbakhsh J. Complementary and alternative modalities to relieve osteoarthritis symptoms: A review of the evidence on several therapies often used for osteoarthritis management. Orthop Nurs. 2012;31(2):115-121. doi:10.1097/nor.0b013e31824fce6e
- Wandel S, Jüni P, Tendal B, et al. Effects of glucosamine, chondroitin, or placebo in patients with osteoarthritis of hip or knee: network meta-analysis. BMJ. 2010;341:c4675. doi:10.1136/bmj.c4675
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Osteotomy of the knee. Updated June 2017.
- Marks M, Marks JL. Viral arthritis. Clin Med (Lond). 2016 Apr;16(2):129-34. doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.16-2-129
- Pujalte G, Albano-Aluquin SA. Differential Diagnosis of Polyarticular Arthritis. Am Fam Physician. 2015 Jul 1;92(1):35-41.
- Shmerling RH. (2017). Evaluation of the adult with polyarticular pain. Maini RN, ed. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate Inc.
- Skou ST, Roos EM, Laursen MB, et al. A Randomized, Controlled Trial of Total Knee Replacement. N Engl J Med. 2015;373(17):1597-1606. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1505467
Previously working for the North Carolina Community College System, Rachel Morgan has been a freelance writer and editor for over six years. She has a bachelor's degree in public health as well as a master's degree in English.