Is a Baking Soda Rinse Good for the Teeth?
Before high-tech whitening and fluoride toothpastes were part of the American manufacturing scene, people brushed and rinsed with baking soda or a combination of baking soda and salt. Because baking soda is an abrasive material, you may be concerned that rinsing with baking soda could damage your teeth. Understanding the risks and rewards of using a baking soda rinse can help you determine if the rinse is right for you.
Baking soda is a chemical compound, sodium bicarbonate. This compound is found naturally in mineral springs, but also can be manufactured. When mixed with water, baking soda causes a fizzing effect. Baking soda has been touted as helping everything from freshening breath to preventing tooth decay to whitening teeth, and can be purchased in most drug or grocery stores as a white, powdery substance.
- Baking soda is a chemical compound, sodium bicarbonate.
Natural Denture Cleaners
When you rinse your teeth out with baking soda, you may feel as if the bubbles are fizzing and cleaning your teeth. However, the fizzing action of the baking soda has not been proved to clean your teeth and prevent cavities. Baking soda also is advertised as being helpful in whitening teeth 4. However, the action of baking soda is not to bleach the teeth, but instead actually helps to break the bonds that stain molecules on the teeth. This makes the stains appear less noticeable. If you use a baking soda rinse, it may be effective in removing stains.
- When you rinse your teeth out with baking soda, you may feel as if the bubbles are fizzing and cleaning your teeth.
- If you use a baking soda rinse, it may be effective in removing stains.
While baking soda may add some tingle to your rinse or toothpaste, there is little to connect it with specific dental benefits, according to Dr. William van Dyk, a general dental practitioner based in San Pablo, California. “Baking soda has a taste sensation that makes teeth feel good, but there is no proven therapeutic value,” Dr. van Dyk said. “Baking soda is a product of nostalgia; it’s one of your grandmother’s favorite health remedies.” Instead of effectiveness, Dr. van Dyk suggests that when baking soda is touted as good for your teeth, it is more of a marketing technique 4.
List of Toothpaste Brands
Baking soda is not bad for your health and it will not harm your teeth 4. However, it is important that you maintain proper expectations for the benefits of rinsing your teeth with baking soda. Do not use baking soda as your sole method of cleaning your teeth or maintaining your gum health, because it may not be an effective treatment.
Natural Denture Cleaners
List of Toothpaste Brands
Can You Whiten Teeth With Orange Peels?
Baking Soda & Vinegar for Your Teeth
How to Clean Clear Retainers
Does a Waterpik Remove Tartar?
Sensodyne Vs. Close Up Toothpaste
How to Remove Tooth Tartar at Home
How to Clean a Toothbrush
How to Care for Your Flipper
- "Mail Online"; The Best Way to Get Teeth Whiter Than White; Dr. Philip Stemmer; Nov. 28, 2006
- "Real Simple"; 10 New Uses for Baking Soda; Rachel Hardage
- Professor's House: Does Baking Soda Whiten Your Teeth
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem. Compound Summary for CID 516892, Sodium bicarbonate.
- Hadzic M, Eckstein ML, Schugardt M. The impact of sodium bicarbonate on performance in response to exercise duration in athletes: A systematic review. J Sports Sci Med. 2019;18(2):271-281
- Ciancio SG. Baking soda dentifrices and oral health. J Am Dent Assoc. 2017;148(11S):S1-S3. doi:10.1016/j.adaj.2017.09.009
- Birt D, From L, Main J. Diagnosis and management of long-standing benign oral ulceration. Laryngoscope. 1980 May;90(5 Pt 1):758-68. PMID: 6990140.
- American College of Gastroenterology. Acid reflux.
- Hughes A, Brown A, Valento M. Hemorrhagic encephalopathy from acute baking soda ingestion. West J Emerg Med. 2016;17(5):619-22. doi:10.5811/westjem2016.6.30713
- Al-Abri SA, Olson KR. Baking soda can settle the stomach but upset the heart: Case files of the Medical Toxicology Fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco. J Med Toxicol. 2013;9(3):255-8. doi:10.1007/s13181-013-0300-4
- Krustrup P, Ermidis G, Mohr M. Sodium bicarbonate intake improves high-intensity intermittent exercise performance in trained young men. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015;12:25. doi:10.1186/s12970-015-0087-6
- McNaughton LR, Siegler J, Midgley A. Ergogenic effects of sodium bicarbonate. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2008;7(4):230-6. doi:10.1249/JSR.0b013e31817ef530
- de Brito-Ashurst I, Varagunam M, Raftery MJ, Yaqoob MM. Bicarbonate supplementation slows progression of CKD and improves nutritional status. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20(9):2075-84. doi:10.1681/ASN.2008111205
- Yang M, Zhong X, Yuan Y. Does baking soda function as a magic bullet for patients with cancer? A mini review. Integr Cancer Ther. 2020;19:1534735420922579. doi:10.1177/153473542092257
- Yang T, Doherty J, Zhao B, Kinchla AJ, Clark JM, He L. Effectiveness of commercial and homemade washing agents in removing pesticide residues on and in apples. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65(44):9744-9752. doi:10.1021/acs.jafc.7b03118
- Qamaruz-Zaman N, Kun Y, Rosli RN. Preliminary observation on the effect of baking soda volume on controlling odour from discarded organic waste. Waste Manag. 2015;35:187-90. doi:10.1016/j.wasman.2014.09.017
- Al-Abri SA, Kearney T. Baking soda misuse as a home remedy: case experience of the California Poison Control System. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2014;39(1):73-7. doi:10.1111/jcpt.12113
- Di Iorio BR, Bellasi A, Raphael KL, Santoro D, Aucella F, Garofano L, Ceccarelli M, Di Lullo L, Capolongo G, Di Iorio M, Guastaferro P, Capasso G; UBI Study Group. Treatment of metabolic acidosis with sodium bicarbonate delays progression of chronic kidney disease: the UBI Study. J Nephrol. 2019;32(6):989-1001. doi:10.1007/s40620-019-00656-5
Rachel Nall began writing in 2003. She is a former managing editor for custom health publications, including physician journals. She has written for The Associated Press and "Jezebel," "Charleston," "Chatter" and "Reach" magazines. Nall is currently pursuing her Bachelor of Science in Nursing at the University of Tennessee.