During pregnancy, you need large quantities of folic acid to help ensure that you're meeting the needs of your developing embryo or fetus. Generally speaking, 800 micrograms of folic acid is not too much -- in fact, your obstetrician may advise you take as much as 1000 micrograms of folic acid daily during pregnancy.
Folic acid is one of the B vitamins that, when you're not pregnant, is important to helping your cells engage in the reactions of energy-processing. During pregnancy, it becomes even more important than it normally is because folic acid helps provide for proper development of the neural tube. This is a structure that becomes the brain and spinal cord.
Folic Acid Deficiency
Can You Eat Canned Tuna While Pregnant?
Because folic acid isn't one of the most common vitamins in food sources, it's quite common for women of childbearing age to be deficient in the vitamin, particularly with regard to the increased needs of pregnancy. If you're deficient in folic acid during the early days and weeks of pregnancy, your baby has a greatly increased risk of birth defects involving the spinal cord, particularly spina bifida 1.
To help prevent folic acid deficiencies -- and other vitamin and mineral deficiencies -- many obstetricians recommend that you take a prenatal vitamin during pregnancy. This is a multivitamin and mineral supplement specially formulated for the needs of pregnant women and their developing fetuses, and typically includes 800 to 1000 micrograms of folic acid. If you choose not to take a prenatal vitamin, you should at least use a separate folic acid supplement.
Diet Tips to Minimize Weight Gain During Pregnancy
One of the things you may want to take into account when you begin to consider becoming pregnant is that the neural tube develops very early in pregnancy -- around six weeks of gestational age. Six weeks gestational age is only four weeks after you conceived, and only about two weeks after your expected period, meaning you may not yet know you're pregnant. For this reason, many women take supplemental folic acid -- 800 to 1000 micrograms per day -- throughout their childbearing years.
Can You Eat Canned Tuna While Pregnant?
Diet Tips to Minimize Weight Gain During Pregnancy
Hemp Protein and Pregnancy
What Do Multivitamins Do for the Body?
Does Vitamin B12 Make You Lose Weight?
How Much B12 Should Someone Take Per Day?
Caffeine Content in One Cup of Coffee Vs. One Shot of Espresso
Safety of Taking B12 While Nursing
How Much Beta-Carotene Is in Carrots?
Vitamins for Protein Synthesis
- “Conception, Pregnancy and Birth”; Miriam Stoppard, M.D.; 2008
- “You: Having A Baby”; Michael Roizen, M.D. and Mehmet Oz, M.D.; 2009
- “What to Expect When You’re Expecting”; Heidi Murkoff and Sharon Mazel; 2008
- Hariz A, Bhattacharya PT. Megaloblastic Anemia. [Updated 2019 Jan 23]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537254/
- Donnelly JG. Folic acid. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2001;38(3):183-223.
- Scaglione F, Panzavolta G. Folate, folic acid and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate are not the same thing. Xenobiotica. 2014;44(5):480-8.
- Figueiredo JC, Grau MV, Haile RW, et al. Folic acid and risk of prostate cancer: results from a randomized clinical trial. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009;101(6):432–435. doi:10.1093/jnci/djp019
- Spina bifida and anencephaly before and after folic acid mandate--United States, 1995-1996 and 1999-2000. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004;53(17):362-5.
- Bastian H. Lucy Wills (1888-1964): the life and research of an adventurous independent woman. J R Coll Physicians Edinb. 2008;38(1):89-91.
- Visentin M, Zhao R, Goldman ID. The antifolates. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2012;26(3):629–ix. doi:10.1016/j.hoc.2012.02.002
- Greenberg JA, Bell SJ, Guan Y, Yu YH. Folic Acid supplementation and pregnancy: more than just neural tube defect prevention. Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2011;4(2):52–59.
- Northrup H, Volcik KA. Spina bifida and other neural tube defects. Curr Probl Pediatr. 2000;30(10):313-32.
- Crider KS, Bailey LB, Berry RJ. Folic acid food fortification-its history, effect, concerns, and future directions. Nutrients. 2011;3(3):370–384. doi:10.3390/nu3030370
- Fousekis FS, Theopistos VI, Katsanos KH, Tsianos EV, Christodoulou DK. Hepatobiliary Manifestations and Complications in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Review. Gastroenterology Res. 2018;11(2):83–94. doi:10.14740/gr990w
- Hariz A, Bhattacharya PT. Megaloblastic Anemia. [Updated 2019 Jan 23]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-.
- Maron BA, Loscalzo J. The treatment of hyperhomocysteinemia. Annu Rev Med. 2009;60:39–54. doi:10.1146/annurev.med.60.041807.123308
- Tinelli C, Di Pino A, Ficulle E, Marcelli S, Feligioni M. Hyperhomocysteinemia as a Risk Factor and Potential Nutraceutical Target for Certain Pathologies. Front Nutr. 2019;6:49. Published 2019 Apr 24. doi:10.3389/fnut.2019.00049
- Juhlin L, Olsson MJ. Improvement of vitiligo after oral treatment with vitamin B12 and folic acid and the importance of sun exposure. Acta Derm Venereol. 1997;77(6):460-2.
- Merle BM, Silver RE, Rosner B, Seddon JM. Dietary folate, B vitamins, genetic susceptibility and progression to advanced nonexudative age-related macular degeneration with geographic atrophy: a prospective cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016;103(4):1135-44.
- Tian T, Yang KQ, Cui JG, Zhou LL, Zhou XL. Folic Acid Supplementation for Stroke Prevention in Patients With Cardiovascular Disease. Am J Med Sci. 2017;354(4):379-387.
- Hsu CY, Chiu SW, Hong KS, et al. Folic Acid in Stroke Prevention in Countries without Mandatory Folic Acid Food Fortification: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. J Stroke. 2018;20(1):99–109. doi:10.5853/jos.2017.01522
- McRae MP. High-dose folic acid supplementation effects on endothelial function and blood pressure in hypertensive patients: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials. J Chiropr Med. 2009;8(1):15–24. doi:10.1016/j.jcm.2008.09.001
- Zhao G, Ford ES, Li C, Greenlund KJ, Croft JB, Balluz LS. Use of folic acid and vitamin supplementation among adults with depression and anxiety: a cross-sectional, population-based survey. Nutr J. 2011;10:102.
- Gisondi P, Fantuzzi F, Malerba M, Girolomoni G. Folic acid in general medicine and dermatology. J Dermatolog Treat. 2007;18(3):138-46.
- Reynolds EH. Folic acid, ageing, depression, and dementia. BMJ. 2002;324(7352):1512–1515. doi:10.1136/bmj.324.7352.1512
- Nucera E, Aruanno A, Mezzacappa S, Pascolini L, Buonomo A, Schiavino D. Hypersensitivity reactions to folic acid: Three case reports and a review of the literature. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2018;32:2058738418817704. Published 2018 Dec 17. doi:10.1177/2058738418817704
- Pieroth R, Paver S, Day S, Lammersfeld C. Folate and Its Impact on Cancer Risk. Curr Nutr Rep. 2018;7(3):70–84. doi:10.1007/s13668-018-0237-y
- Lewis DP, Van dyke DC, Willhite LA, Stumbo PJ, Berg MJ. Phenytoin-folic acid interaction. Ann Pharmacother. 1995;29(7-8):726-35.
- Selhub J, Dhar GJ, Rosenberg IH. Inhibition of folate enzymes by sulfasalazine. J Clin Invest. 1978;61(1):221-4.
- Kennedy DO. B Vitamins and the Brain: Mechanisms, Dose and Efficacy--A Review. Nutrients. 2016;8(2):68. Published 2016 Jan 27. doi:10.3390/nu8020068
- Starr RR. Too little, too late: ineffective regulation of dietary supplements in the United States. Am J Public Health. 2015;105(3):478–485. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2014.302348
- Troesch B, Demmelmair J, Gimpfl M, et al. Suitability and safety of L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate as a folate source in infant formula: A randomized-controlled trial. PLoS One. 2019;14(8):e0216790. Published 2019 Aug 19. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0216790
- Pintó X, Vilaseca MA, Balcells S, et al. A folate-rich diet is as effective as folic acid from supplements in decreasing plasma homocysteine concentrations. Int J Med Sci. 2005;2(2):58–63. doi:10.7150/ijms.2.58
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Committee on Genetics. Folic acid for the prevention of neural tube defects. Pediatrics. 1999 Aug;104(2 Pt 1):325-7.
- Juhlin, L. and Olsson, M. Improvement of vitiligo after oral treatment with vitamin B12 and folic acid and the importance of sun exposure. Acta Derm Venereol. 1997 Nov;77(6):460-2. DOI: 10.2340/000155555577460462.
- Li, Y.; Huang, T.; Zheng, Y. et al. Folic Acid Supplementation and the Risk of Cardiovascular Diseases: A Meta‐Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. JAHA. 2016;5(8):pii: e003768. DOI: 10.1161/JAHA.116.003768.
- Merle, B.; Silver, R.; Rosner, B. et al. Dietary folate, B vitamins, genetic susceptibility and progression to advanced nonexudative age-related macular degeneration with geographic atrophy: a prospective cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016 Apr;103(4):1135-44. DOI: 10.3945/ajcn.115.117606.
- Zhao, G.; Ford, E.; Li, C. et al. Use of folic acid and vitamin supplementation among adults with depression and anxiety: a cross-sectional, population-based survey. Nutrition Journal. 2011;10:102. DOI: 10.1186/1475-2891-10-102.
Kirstin Hendrickson is a writer, teacher, coach, athlete and author of the textbook "Chemistry In The World." She's been teaching and writing about health, wellness and nutrition for more than 10 years. She has a Bachelor of Science in zoology, a Bachelor of Science in psychology, a Master of Science in chemistry and a doctoral degree in bioorganic chemistry.