How to Stimulate Collagen & Elastin Production in the Body
The elasticity and structure of your skin is maintained by two vital proteins called elastin and collagen. These proteins make up nearly 25 percent of your body’s total protein count. As you get older, they decrease. Knowing how to increase these vital proteins will help you keep your skin looking healthy and youthful. There are a few safe and effective methods which can help you increase the production of elastin and collagen.
Use an exfoliating cream to exfoliate your skin. The process of exfoliation involves eliminating the dead skin cells from the surface layer of your skin. It also stimulates the production of new elastin and collagen and gives your skin a more youthful appearance.
How to Boost Collagen Under the Eyes
Take a vitamin C (ascorbic acid) supplement every day, recommends Dr. Fredric Brendt, author of “Age-less: The Definitive Guide to Botox, Collagen, Lasers, Peels and Other Solutions for Flawless Skin.” This vitamin is vital in elastin and collagen production 12. A deficiency in ascorbic acid can weaken elastin fibers. The recommended dosage for vitamin C is one 500 mg capsule once daily to help maintain the cellular structures which keep the fibers of your complexion strong and healthy. In addition, eat foods rich in vitamin C, such as broccoli, kiwi fruit, bell peppers and citrus fruits.
Add one or two servings of healthy protein to your diet every day to help stimulate collagen and elastin production. Your muscle mass as well as the collagen and elastin in your skin are composed of proteins. Healthy foods rich in proteins include tofu, nuts, seeds, milk and cottage cheese.
Apply sunscreen lotion generously to your skin when doing the aforementioned methods to help prevent further damage to the cells in your skin. Sunscreen can help protect your skin from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays which can break down collagen and elastin 2. Purchase sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 and above and massage it into your skin 30 minutes before going outside.
How to Boost Collagen Under the Eyes
How to Use Vitamin C Serum
The Best Vitamin for Sagging Facial Skin
Amino Acids to Produce Collagen
Vitamins for Healthy Veins
How to Regrow Nails Damaged From Gels
Is It Possible to Rebuild Skin Collagen?
The Best Skin Care Products for Over 70
B12 Injections Side Effects
- “Age-less: The Definitive Guide to Botox, Collagen, Lasers, Peels, and Other Solutions for Flawless Skin;” Fredric Brandt, MD; 2002; p. 34, 40
- The Patient's Guide: Collagen
- Asserin, J., Lati, E., Shioya, T., & Prawitt, J. (2015). The effect of oral collagen peptide supplementation on skin moisture and the dermal collagen network: evidence from anex vivomodel and randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, 14(4), 291–301. doi:10.1111/jocd.12174
- Choi FD, Sung CT, Juhasz ML, Mesinkovsk NA. Oral Collagen Supplementation: A Systematic Review of Dermatological Applications. J Drugs Dermatol. 2019;18(1):9-16.
- Cúneo F, Costa-Paiva L, Pinto-Neto AM, Morais SS, Amaya-Farfan J. Effect of dietary supplementation with collagen hydrolysates on bone metabolism of postmenopausal women with low mineral density. Maturitas. 2010 Mar;65(3):253-7.
- Czajka, A., Kania, E. M., Genovese, L., Corbo, A., Merone, G., Luci, C., & Sibilla, S. (2018). Daily oral supplementation with collagen peptides combined with vitamins and other bioactive compounds improves skin elasticity and has a beneficial effect on joint and general wellbeing. Nutrition Research, 57, 97–108. doi:10.1016/j.nutres.2018.06.001
- García-Coronado, J. M., Martínez-Olvera, L., Elizondo-Omaña, R. E., Acosta-Olivo, C. A., Vilchez-Cavazos, F., Simental-Mendía, L. E., & Simental-Mendía, M. (2018). Effect of collagen supplementation on osteoarthritis symptoms: a meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials. International Orthopaedics, 43(3), 531–538. doi:10.1007/s00264-018-4211-5
- Hays NP, Kim H, Wells AM, Kajkenova O, Evans WJ. "Effects of whey and fortified collagen hydrolysate protein supplements on nitrogen balance and body composition in older women." J Am Diet Assoc. 2009 Jun;109(6):1082-7.
- Kirmse, M., Oertzen-Hagemann, V., de Marées, M., Bloch, W., & Platen, P. (2019). Prolonged Collagen Peptide Supplementation and Resistance Exercise Training Affects Body Composition in Recreationally Active Men. Nutrients, 11(5), 1154. doi:10.3390/nu11051154
- Proksch E, Schunck M, Zague V, Segger D, Degwert J, Oesser S. Oral intake of specific bioactive collagen peptides reduces skin wrinkles and increases dermal matrix synthesis. Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2014;27(3):113-9.
- Proksch E, Segger D, Degwert J, Schunck M, Zague V, Oesser S. Oral supplementation of specific collagen peptides has beneficial effects on human skin physiology: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2014;27(1):47-55.
- Tomosugi N, Yamamoto S, Takeuchi M, et al. Effect of Collagen Tripeptide on Atherosclerosis in Healthy Humans. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2017;24(5):530–538. doi:10.5551/jat.36293
Frank Dioso is a trained medical technologist working for prominent research institutions such as Quest Diagnostics and California Clinical Trials. He has, for many years, ghostwritten clinical trial reports for confidential pharmaceutical drugs and is currently contributing his clinical laboratory science knowledge to online how-to articles.