What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal isn't a permanent solution for unwanted hair, so you'll eventually experience hair growth after a procedure 1. This is largely due to the fact that this method of hair removal only forces the follicles into a prolonged dormancy. It doesn't remove the follicle from the skin. According to the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, the laser emits a low-energy beam of light that penetrates the skin 3. This energy is then absorbed by the melanin responsible for the pigmentation of the hair, heating the follicle and essentially destroying its structure. The hair is removed, but the follicle remains intact. The number of visits required varies from person to person based on a number of different factors, including skin tone, hair color, removal location and personal expectations.
- Laser hair removal isn't a permanent solution for unwanted hair, so you'll eventually experience hair growth after a procedure 1.
- The hair is removed, but the follicle remains intact.
Do Eyelashes Grow Back If They Are Burnt?
The Mayo Clinic says it should take between six to eight sessions to achieve the desired results. Sessions are administered every four to six weeks. This is because only hairs affected by the laser are those currently in the anagen phase, which is the active phase in which your hair grows in length. Any hairs in the catagen or telogen phase aren't necessarily damaged to the point of growth reduction. This means you can expect to see hair growth after your first session, though it will generally be much less dense. Each treatment should cause a reduction of between 10 percent and 25 percent in hair growth, according to the American Academy of Dermatology 2.
- The Mayo Clinic says it should take between six to eight sessions to achieve the desired results.
- This is because only hairs affected by the laser are those currently in the anagen phase, which is the active phase in which your hair grows in length.
Texture and Color
Although laser hair removal won't permanently stop hair from growing, you can experience many years of "hair-free" skin, especially when you go in for periodic maintenance appointments 1. Maintenance appointments are similar to standard appointments, because the doctor or dermatologist targets the laser over previously treated areas of the skin. The hair that does eventually grow back typically returns much finer and lighter than before, as indicated by the American Academy of Dermatology, so areas that were once problematic may be less bothersome even when the hair grows back 2.
Do Eyelashes Grow Back If They Are Burnt?
Does Trimming Your Hair Really Make it Grow Faster?
How Do Dermatologists Treat Facial Hair on Women?
How Long Does It Take for Hair to Grow Back After Radiation?
How to Remove an Indented Scar
Removing an Ingrown Hair on the Face
How to Get Rid of Stitch Scars on the Face
How to Reverse Traction Alopecia
Why Does Hair Grow So Fast During Pregnancy?
During What Season Does Human Hair Grow the Fastest?
- Mayo Clinic: Laser Hair Removal
- American Academy of Dermatology: Laser Hair Removal
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery: Laser Hair Removal
- American Academy of Dermatology. Laser hair removal.
- American Academy of Dermatology. Treating excess body hair could remedy a hairy situation. Aad.org.
- Battle E, Hobbs L. Laser-assisted hair removal for darker skin types. Dermatol Ther. 2004;17(2):177-183. DOI: 10.1111/j.1396-0296.2004.04018.x.
- Lim S, Lanigan S. A review of the adverse effects of laser hair removal. Lasers Med Sci. 2006;21(3):121-125. DOI: 10.1007/s10103-006-0377-y
Based in Minneapolis, Minn., Dana Severson has been writing marketing materials for small-to-mid-sized businesses since 2005. Prior to this, Severson worked as a manager of business development for a marketing company, developing targeted marketing campaigns for Big G, Betty Crocker and Pillsbury, among others.