Foods High in DHEA
DHEA -- dihydroepiandrosterone -- is a hormone produced by the adrenal glands in women. It is a steroid hormone that acts on the androgen receptor and has influence on the production of testosterone and the estrogens. Because it is a cortisol antagonist, DHEA supplementation can reduce depression symptoms and might improve memory. DHEA supplements are sometimes used by athletes as a performance-enhancing or muscle-building drug.
DHEA levels in the body naturally peak when you are about age 20, and then begin a decline that results in about 90 percent reduction by age 90. Besides age, several elements can cause a reduction in production of DHEA. Low levels of DHEA have been associated with some cancers, type 2 diabetes, anorexia, end-stage kidney disease and AIDS.
What Is DHEA 25 Mg?
Technically, foods do not contain DHEA. But certain foods such as wild yams and soybeans might cause the body to produce more DHEA, if needed. In fact, wild yams are used to produce synthetic DHEA supplements. If the body has enough DHEA, it will not produce any more, no matter what your diet. This is a safety mechanism controlled by the brain and the adrenal gland. Certain foods such as those high in omega-3 fatty acids such as flax seeds, salmon and olive oil might also help the body to better use its naturally produced DHEA.
- Technically, foods do not contain DHEA.
- But certain foods such as wild yams and soybeans might cause the body to produce more DHEA, if needed.
Other methods to help your body produce more DHEA involve those that support adrenal health. Get enough sleep, because lack of sleep directly affects adrenal function and reduces DHEA levels. Work on reducing stress; a high-stress life also negatively affects the adrenals. An active lifestyle, including one that incorporates plenty of exercise, might help the body to naturally produce DHEA. Finally, a balanced, healthful diet will support your body systems and allow the DHEA to work properly.
- Other methods to help your body produce more DHEA involve those that support adrenal health.
DHA Vs. DHEA
No long-term studies show the effects of the use of synthetic DHEA. Nor have studies proven that synthetic DHEA supplementation provide the benefits of natural DHEA. But several studies have shown a positive correlation between DHEA supplementation and cancers of the prostate, ovaries and breast. Consult your doctor before supplementing with synthetic DHEA.
- No long-term studies show the effects of the use of synthetic DHEA.
What Is DHEA 25 Mg?
DHA Vs. DHEA
Is Vitex Safe in Pregnancy?
What Is the Difference Between OTC DHEA & Prescription DHEA?
Prednisone Effects on Adrenal Glands
Melatonin Risks & Side Effects
DHEA & Fish Oil
How to Trigger Female Hormones in Males
DHEA Harmful Effects
What Effect Does Black Cohosh Have on the Thyroid & Adrenal Glands?
- Anti-agingmd; DHEA; Timothy J. Smith
- Levo.com: DHEA Facts
- MedlinePlus: DHEA
- Mayoclinic.com: DHEA
- National Instutites of Health MedlinePlus. Wild yam. Updated April 18, 2018.
- National Institutes of Health MedlinePlus. DHEA. Updated May 29, 2019.
- Park SG, Hwang S, Kim JS, Park KC, Kwon Y, Kim KC. The association between dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) and bone mineral density in Korean men and women. J Bone Metab. 2017;24(1):31–36. doi:10.11005/jbm.2017.24.1.31
- von Mühlen D, Laughlin GA, Kritz-Silverstein D, Bergstrom J, Bettencourt R. Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone supplementation on bone mineral density, bone markers, and body composition in older adults: the DAWN trial. Osteoporos Int. 2008;19(5):699–707. doi:10.1007/s00198-007-0520-z
- Peixoto C, Devicari Cheda JN, Nardi AE, Veras AB, Cardoso A. The effects of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in the treatment of depression and depressive symptoms in other psychiatric and medical illnesses: A systematic review. Curr Drug Targets. 2014;15(9):901-14.
- Cleveland Clinic. Prasterone, DHEA tables or capsules (Dietary supplements).
- Archer DF. Dehydroepiandrosterone intra vaginal administration for the management of postmenopausal vulvovaginal atrophy. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2015 Jan;145:139-43. doi:10.1016/j.jsbmb.2014.09.003
- Freitas RP, Lemos TM, Spyrides MH, Sousa MB. Influence of cortisol and DHEA-S on pain and other symptoms in post menopausal women with fibromyalgia. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2012;25(4):245-52. doi:10.3233/BMR-2012-0331.
- Gómez-Santos C, Hernández-Morante JJ, Tébar FJ, et al. Differential effect of oral dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate on metabolic syndrome features in pre- and postmenopausal obese women. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2012;77(4):548-54. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2265.2011.04306.x.
- Panjari M, Davis SR. DHEA for postmenopausal women: a review of the evidence. Maturitas. 2010;66(2):172-9. doi:10.1016/j.maturitas.2009.12.017
Rick Rockwell is a self-employed personal trainer and experienced freelance writer. His articles have been published throughout the Internet. He has more than eight years of experience as a certified personal trainer, group fitness instructor and lifestyle coach. His company, Rockwell Fitness, is dedicated to educating and empowering others to live healthy lifestyles.