Food poisoning affects millions of people in the United States each year. Food poisoning from salmon is a serious problem that can make consumers sick, fragile and often need additional medical attention.
Food poisoning in salmon specifically is most commonly caused by toxins in the fish, the most popular being Scombroid and Ciguatera poisoning. Food poisoning from salmon can also occur from cross contamination of uncooked foods, improper cooking, or storage of fish before or after cooking.
Symptoms from food poisoning include diarrhea, fever, dehydration, upset stomach, cramps, nausea and vomiting that can range from mild to severe. If symptoms are severe or persist for a long length of time, seek medical attention immediately.
Oral dehydration solutions or antidiarrheal medication are recommended for severe cases. For the most severe cases of food poisoning, including Salmonella and E. coli, additional medical attention - even hospitalization - may be necessary.
When purchasing salmon buy from reputable sources. If fresh, take salmon straight home to cook or put on ice or in refrigerator until ready to cook. Don’t buy salmon too early in advance, sometimes a day or two is all it takes sometimes for seafood to go bad.
Where to seek help
If symptoms persist for days, consult with your general physician. If symptoms are severe, emergency care may be needed. Contact the National Poison Control Number (1-800-222-1222) or your local emergency number (911).