What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
The human papillomavirus (HPV) is a highly transmittable infection that is spread through close contact with someone who has the active virus. Mayo Clinic staff say HPV is a precursor to cervical cancer and anal cancer. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says almost all cervical cancer is caused by HPV, with about 9,000 cases in the United States yearly 1. HPV also causes certain types of cancers of the vulva, vagina, penis, anus and some cancers in areas of the head and neck. The CDC says about 80 percent of all sexually active women have HPV by the age of 50, usually without symptoms or knowing they have it. It is difficult to confirm famous people who have been infected with HPV unless they have openly admitted the problem and come out in support of a vaccine against the HPV virus, which is a precursor to cervical cancer. Others known to have been infected with HPV include those who have died as a result of HPV-related cancer.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Marissa Jaret Winokur
Marissa Jaret Winokur won a Tony in 2003 for her portrayal of Tracy Turnblad in the Broadway play “Hairspray,” after having a radical hysterectomy in 2000 to treat her cervical cancer. She made a full recovery and has appeared in several television sitcoms as well as on season six of TV’s “Dancing With the Stars.”
Instagram Is Going Wild Over Shannen Doherty's Brave Photos
British reality TV star Jade Goody died of cervical cancer March 22, 2009. Cervical cancer has the HPV precursor, according to Mayo Clinic staff. Goody made her demise public with media documentation of her failing health, as did Fawcett.
In a news story in the Aberdeen, Scotland, Press and Journal in August 2008, Scottish singer/songwriter Sandi Thom said, “ 'When I was 19, I had a cancer scare and had to have laser surgery on my cervix in order to remove abnormal cells.” The singer, who signed an RCA recording deal after making webcasts of her singing, went on to promote HPV vaccines so “that other girls will not have to go through this and they will now be more protected from the risk of cervical cancer.”
History of PowerBilt Golf
Evita Peron, the second wife of Argentinian leader Juan Peron, died in 1952 of cervical cancer in her early 30s. Peron’s first wife had died of cervical cancer at age 28 and Eva’s mother died of the disease at age 77.
Instagram Is Going Wild Over Shannen Doherty's Brave Photos
History of PowerBilt Golf
FAQ About Leslie Sansone
How Can a Teenage Girl Lose 40 Lbs. In Six Months?
Ideas for Teaching Teens About Jesus' Resurrection
Reconciliation Activities for Kids
Jared's "Subway Sandwich Diet"
Celebrities Who Died From Smoking
Long-Term Effects of HPV
Bill Pearl Diet
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Denny L, Herrero R, Levin C, et al. Cervical Cancer. In: Gelband H, Jha P, Sankaranarayanan R, et al., editors. Cancer: Disease Control Priorities, Third Edition (Volume 3). Washington (DC): The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development / The World Bank; 2015 Nov 1. Chapter 4. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK343648/doi: 10.1596/978-1-4648-0349-9_ch4
- Fowler JR, Jack BW. Cancer, Cervical. [Updated 2019 Sep 9]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK431093/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cervical Cancer is Preventable.
- InformedHealth.org [Internet]. Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG); 2006-. Cervical cancer: Human papillomaviruses (HPV) 2012 Nov 21 [Updated 2017 Dec 14]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279260/
- Ferreira da Silva I, Ferreira da Silva I, Koifman RJ. Cervical Cancer Treatment Delays and Associated Factors in a Cohort of Women From a Developing Country. J Glob Oncol. 2019;5:1–11. doi:10.1200/JGO.18.00199
- Salih MM, AlHag FTES, Khalifa MA, El Nabi AH. Cervical cytopathological changes among women with vaginal discharge attending teaching hospital. J Cytol. 2017;34(2):90–94. doi:10.4103/JOC.JOC_214_15
- Donovan KA, Boyington AR, Judson PL, Wyman JF. Bladder and bowel symptoms in cervical and endometrial cancer survivors. Psychooncology. 2014;23(6):672–678. doi:10.1002/pon.3461
- Fetcko K, Gondim DD, Bonnin JM, Dey M. Cervical cancer metastasis to the brain: A case report and review of literature. Surg Neurol Int. 2017;8:181. Published 2017 Aug 9. doi:10.4103/sni.sni_111_17
- Göktuğ kadıoğlu B, Çınar tanrıverdi E, Alay H, Uçar M. [Relation of cervical cancer with the results of human papillomavirus (HPV) screening carried out via hybrid capture 2 method on 52.000 women in Erzurum]. Mikrobiyol Bul. 2018;52(4):367-375.
- American Cancer Society, Key Statistics for Cervical Cancer, cancer.org January 8. 2019
- Bansal A, Singh M, Rai B. Human papillomavirus-associated cancers: A growing global problem. Int J Appl Basic Med Res. 2016;6(2):84-9. doi:10.4103/2229-516X.179027
- Kashyap N, Krishnan N, Kaur S, Ghai S. Risk Factors of Cervical Cancer: A Case-Control Study. Asia Pac J Oncol Nurs. 2019;6(3):308–314. doi:10.4103/apjon.apjon_73_18
- Comprehensive Cervical Cancer Control: A Guide to Essential Practice. 2nd edition. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2014. 1, Background.Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK269623/
- Cooper DB, McCathran CE. Cervical Dysplasia. [Updated 2019 Feb 20]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK430859/
- Comparetto C, Borruto F. Cervical cancer screening: A never-ending developing program. World J Clin Cases. 2015;3(7):614-24.
- Li H, Wu X, Cheng X. Advances in diagnosis and treatment of metastatic cervical cancer. J Gynecol Oncol. 2016;27(4):e43. doi:10.3802/jgo.2016.27.e43
- Bates CK, Carroll N, Potter J. The challenging pelvic examination. J Gen Intern Med. 2011;26(6):651–657. doi:10.1007/s11606-010-1610-8
- Ashtarian H PhD, Mirzabeigi E Bs, Mahmoodi E Bs, Khezeli M PhD. Knowledge about Cervical Cancer and Pap Smear and the Factors Influencing the Pap test Screening among Women. Int J Community Based Nurs Midwifery. 2017;5(2):188–195.
- Reyes MC, Cooper K. Cervical cancer biopsy reporting: a review. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2014;57(3):364-8.
- Bourgioti C, Chatoupis K, Moulopoulos LA. Current imaging strategies for the evaluation of uterine cervical cancer. World J Radiol. 2016;8(4):342–354. doi:10.4329/wjr.v8.i4.342
- Ronnett BM, Manos MM, Ransley JE, et al. Atypical glandular cells of undetermined significance (AGUS): cytopathologic features, histopathologic results, and human papillomavirus DNA detection. Hum Pathol. 1999;30(7):816-25.
- Pecorelli S, Odicino F. Cervical cancer staging. Cancer J. 2003;9(5):390-4.
- Straughn Michael J, Yashar Catheryn. Patient Education: Cervical cancer treatment; early-stage cancer (Beyond the Basics). uptodate.com September 2019
- Šarenac T, Mikov M. Cervical Cancer, Different Treatments and Importance of Bile Acids as Therapeutic Agents in This Disease. Front Pharmacol. 2019;10:484. Published 2019 Jun 4. doi:10.3389/fphar.2019.00484
- Li H, Wu X, Cheng X. Advances in diagnosis and treatment of metastatic cervical cancer. J Gynecol Oncol. 2016;27(4):e43.
- D'Alessandro P, Arduino B, Borgo M, et al. Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure versus Cryotherapy in the Treatment of Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Gynecol Minim Invasive Ther. 2018;7(4):145–151. doi:10.4103/GMIT.GMIT_56_18
- Mishra GA, Pimple SA, Shastri SS. An overview of prevention and early detection of cervical cancers. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol. 2011;32(3):125–132. doi:10.4103/0971-5851.92808
- Lowy DR, Solomon D, Hildesheim A, Schiller JT, Schiffman M. Human papillomavirus infection and the primary and secondary prevention of cervical cancer. Cancer. 2008;113(7 Suppl):1980–1993. doi:10.1002/cncr.23704
- Lei J, Ploner A, Elfstrom KM, et al. HPV Vaccination and the Risk of Invasive Cervical Cancer. N Engl J Med. 2020;383:1340-1348. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1917338
- Fonseca-Moutinho JA. Smoking and cervical cancer. ISRN Obstet Gynecol. 2011;2011:847684. doi:10.5402/2011/847684
- American Cancer Society, Key Statistics for Cervical Cancer, last revised January 4. 2018, Accessed June 1, 2018
- Pedersen K, Fogelberg S, Thamsborg LH, et al. An overview of cervical cancer epidemiology and prevention in Scandinavia. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2018 Feb 1. doi: 10.1111/aogs.13313.
- Perkins RB, Guido RS, Castle PE, et al. 2019 ASCCP Risk-Based Management Consensus Guidelines for Abnormal Cervical Cancer Screening Tests and Cancer Precursors. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2020;24(2):102-131. doi:10.1097/LGT.0000000000000525
- Saeed M, Alshammari FD, Alam MJ, et al. A synopsis on the role of human papilloma virus infection in cervical cancer. Curr Drug Metab. 2018 Mar 2. doi: 10.2174/1389200219666180302160317.
Richard Nilsen writes poetry, fiction, features and news stories in upstate New York. He was an emergency mental-health consultant for 20 years and directed a mentoring agency for a decade. Nilsen is a black-fly control technician in the Adirondack Park, where he enjoys hiking, biking and boating.