Exercises for Sciatic Nerve Spasms
The sciatic nerve begins in the lower back and travels through the pelvis and buttocks and down each leg. Sciatic nerve spasms typically occurs when a muscle, a herniated disc or a tumor pinches or compresses the sciatic nerve. This results in a sharp pain that radiates from the lower back to the legs, buttocks and feet, notes the MayoClinic.com. Stretching exercises are recommended to increase blood circulation to the surrounding tissue, alleviate the pressure on the sciatic nerve and reduce the nerve spasm.
Lower Back Stretch
Muscle tension or spams in the lower back can apply pressure to the sciatic nerve resulting in sciatic nerve spasms, pain and discomfort. Stretching muscles in the lower back is recommended by The New York Times to alleviate the pressure the sciatic nerve and reduce the nerve spasm. Begin this exercise by lying on your back. Bring both legs together and bend your knees. Place both arms at the side of your body and slowly roll your knees to one side of the your body. Hold this position for 20 seconds and repeat this stretch on the other side of your body.
- Muscle tension or spams in the lower back can apply pressure to the sciatic nerve resulting in sciatic nerve spasms, pain and discomfort.
- Begin this exercise by lying on your back.
Exercises to Increase Hip Size
A hamstring stretch is recommended by Spine-Health.com to loosen the hamstring muscles. Tightness or tension in the muscles of the hamstring increases stress to the lower back and may result in compression of sciatic nerve and sciatic nerve spasms. Hamstring stretches help to alleviate the pressure on the sciatic nerve. Begin by lying on your back with both legs extended in front of you. Place one hand or a towel behind the knee of your affected leg. Slowly extend your leg straight up so that the sole of your feet faces the ceiling. Continue this raising the leg until you feel a stretch in the back of the thigh. Hold this position for 10 seconds and gradually increase it to 30 seconds. Repeat this stretch twice daily and remember to breathe while performing this stretch.
- A hamstring stretch is recommended by Spine-Health.com to loosen the hamstring muscles.
- Continue this raising the leg until you feel a stretch in the back of the thigh.
Back Flexion Stretch
The back flexion stretch stretches and strengthens muscles in the back and reduces sciatic nerve spasms. Begin by lying on your back. Bring both knees toward your chest and simultaneously bring your head towards your knee to form a balled up position. Hold this position for eight to 10 seconds and complete eight to 12 repetitions of this stretch.
- The back flexion stretch stretches and strengthens muscles in the back and reduces sciatic nerve spasms.
- Bring both knees toward your chest and simultaneously bring your head towards your knee to form a balled up position.
Supine Piriformis Stretch
Exercises for Psoas Muscle Spasms
The piriformis muscle is located in the hip and runs in close proximity to the sciatic nerve. When this muscle becomes irritated or tight, it can compress the sciatic nerve resulting sciatic nerve spasms and a radiating pain. Supine piriformis stretches is recommended by Spine-Health.com to stretch this muscle, alleviate the pressure on the sciatic nerve and reduce sciatic nerve spasms. Begin by lying on your back with both legs extended in front of you. Bring your right leg toward your chest by holding the knee with your right hand while using the left hand to grasp the ankle. Leading with your ankle, bring the right knee towards the left knee until you feel a stretch. Hold this stretch for 30 seconds and return your leg to the starting position. Repeat this stretch three times on each leg.
- The piriformis muscle is located in the hip and runs in close proximity to the sciatic nerve.
- Supine piriformis stretches is recommended by Spine-Health.com to stretch this muscle, alleviate the pressure on the sciatic nerve and reduce sciatic nerve spasms.
Exercises to Increase Hip Size
Exercises for Psoas Muscle Spasms
How to Strengthen the Patella Tendon
Exercise to Release Pinched Nerves
Sciatica Exercises for Tingling Feet
How to Treat Bulging Disk L5
Physical Therapy Exercises for Abdominal Adhesions
McKenzie Exercises for the Neck
Exercise Ball for Sciatica Relief
Stretches for Sciatic Pain in Pregnancy
- MayoClinic.com: Sciatica
- The New York Times Health Guide: Sciatica Exercises and Physical Therapy
- Spine-Health:Hamstring Stretching Exercises for Sciatica Pain Relief
- 1backpain.com: General Back Exercises
- Spine-Health.com: Exercise for Sciatic Pain from Piriformis Syndrome
- Giuffre BA, Jeanmonod R. Anatomy, Sciatic Nerve. Treasure Island, FL: StatPearls Publishing. Updated December 16, 2018.
- Sciatica & Leg Pain | Cleveland Clinic. Cleveland Clinic. Updated December 11, 2017.
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons. Herniated Disc.
- Hospital for Special Surgery. Sciatica.
- Kuponiyi O, Alleemudder D, Latunde-Dada A, Eedarapalli P. Nerve injuries associated with gynaecological surgery. The Obstetrician & Gynaecologist. 2014;16(1):29-36. doi:10.1111/tog.12064
- Chopra K, Tiwari V. Alcoholic neuropathy: possible mechanisms and future treatment possibilities. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2012;73(3):348-362. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2125.2011.04111.x
- Sciatica - Musculoskeletal and Connective Tissue Disorders - MSD Manual Professional Edition. MSD Manual Professional Edition. Updated August 2019.
- Cass S. Piriformis syndrome: a cause of nondiscogenic sciatica. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2015;14(1):41-44. doi:10.1249/jsr.0000000000000110
- Matsumoto Y, Matsunobu T, Harimaya K, et al. Bone and soft tissue tumors presenting as sciatic notch dumbbell masses: A critical differential diagnosis of sciatica. World J Clin Oncol. 2016;7(5):414. doi:10.5306/wjco.v7.i5.414
- Ward M, Greenwood T, Kumar D, Mazza J, Yale S. Josef Brudzinski and Vladimir Mikhailovich Kernig: Signs for Diagnosing Meningitis. Clin Med Res. 2010;8(1):13-17. doi:10.3121/cmr.2010.862
- Dadon-Nachum M, Melamed E, Offen D. Stem cells treatment for sciatic nerve injury. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2011;11(12):1591-1597. doi:10.1517/14712598.2011.628933
- Tubbs RS, Collin PG, D'Antoni AV, Loukas M, Oskouian RJ, Spinner RJ. Sciatic Nerve Intercommunications: New Finding. World Neurosurg. 2017 Feb;98:176-181. doi:10.1016/j.wneu.2016.10.118. Epub 2016 Nov 1.
- Xiang F, Wei D, Yang Y, Chi H, Yang K, Sun Y. Tissue-engineered nerve graft with tetramethylpyrazine for repair of sciatic nerve defects in rats. Neurosci Lett. 2017 Jan 18;638:114-120. doi:10.1016/j.neulet.2016.12.026. Epub 2016 Dec 14.
Chekwube Ndubisi has been writing professionally since 2008. She is a medical writer and avid health enthusiast writing for BioPlan Associates and The American College of Ob/Gyn. Ndubisi has doctoral degree in pathobiology and molecular medicine and a Master of Science in cellular and molecular biology.