What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Experts at Mayo Clinic suggest soaking skin in an Epsom salt solution can sooth skin irritations like swimmer's itch or hives by reducing the itch and inflammation associated with the outbreak 12. The Epsom salts are dissolved in warm water and the affected area is submerged and soaked in the liquid. Chronic hives that occur from an underlying health issue can not be treated or cured by either internal or external Epsom salt treatment 1.
Epsom salt or magnesium sulfate is, according to Drugs.com, sometimes referred to as a drug because of its medicinal uses 1. However, the substance is a naturally occurring mineral found in nature. Hives are small round bumps that may appear in reddish batches on nearly any part of the body. Mayo Clinic experts indicate that while topical treatments like Epsom salts can relieve random hive outbreaks, chronic hives need professional diagnosis and treatment 2.
Can You Get Rid of Hives With Green Tea?
Hives are the immune system's reaction to an irritation to the body. The irritation triggers a reddish inflammation of the skin when histamines and other chemicals are released into the bloodstream. The reaction causes small blood vessels to leak and produce the patches. Mayo Clinic further explains that chronic hives are a sign of more complicated health issues that need a doctor's care 2. An occasional hive outbreak can be treated topically with Epsom salts or baking soda.
- Hives are the immune system's reaction to an irritation to the body.
- Mayo Clinic further explains that chronic hives are a sign of more complicated health issues that need a doctor's care 2.
DoubleCheckMD verifies that side effects from using Epsom salt externally as a soak are rare and limited to actually causing hives themselves or further escalating the existing skin reaction 1. If either occurs, you should discontinue use immediately. Epsom salts taken internally show no clinical signs of curing or reducing the signs of skin hives. Because high levels of magnesium sulfate in the body can be toxic, Epsom salts should only be taken as prescribed, when used internally.
- DoubleCheckMD verifies that side effects from using Epsom salt externally as a soak are rare and limited to actually causing hives themselves or further escalating the existing skin reaction 1.
Zinc & Hives
Drugs.com cautions consumers that Epsom salts do interact harmfully with some other drugs 1. If you are taking digoxin, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic, a tetracycline antibiotic, nitrofurantoin or penicillamine you should consult your physician before using Epsom salts. In addition, consult your pharmacist about any over-the-counter medications, vitamins, minerals or herbs you are taking before using Epsom salts medicinally, to prevent harmful interactions.
Epsom salts can be administered in a few different ways, according to DoubleCheckMD. They can be injected intravenously, diluted in water and drunk, diluted in water and used as an anal enema or mixed in a bath for external soaking. In all instances, the mixtures should be made only according to specific doctor or packaging dosage instructions. Always consult your physician before beginning an Epsom salt regimen 1.
- Epsom salts can be administered in a few different ways, according to DoubleCheckMD.
- In all instances, the mixtures should be made only according to specific doctor or packaging dosage instructions.
Can You Get Rid of Hives With Green Tea?
Zinc & Hives
Herbal Remedies for Hives
Cornstarch Home Remedy for Hives Itching
Difference Between Hives & Shingles
Itchy Skin From Sun Exposure
Can Milk Thistle Cause Skin Rashes?
Natural Ways to Stop Skin From Itching
How to Get Rid of Welts
Dry Flaky Hands With Small Scabs
- Drugs: Epsom Salt
- Mayo Clinic: Chronic Hives (urticaria)
- National Institutes of Health DailyMed. Label: Epsom salt magnesium sulfate. Updated December 17, 2019.
- Cleveland Clinic. 6 best fixes for pain and swelling in your feet and ankles. October 7, 2019.
- American Academy of Dermatology. Genital herpes: Diagnosis and treatment. 2020.
- Gröber U, Werner T, Vormann J, Kisters K. Myth or reality—transdermal magnesium?. Nutrients. 2017;9(8):813. doi:10.3390/nu9080813
- Epsom Salt Council. Summer Skin Care Tips. 2020.
- National Psoriasis Foundation. Herbs and natural remedies. Updated June 18, 2019.
- Cleveland Clinic. 7 things you probably didn't know about Epsom salt. July 20, 2018.
Kimberli Nalven has been writing for more than 15 years and freelancing for over 10 years. She's experienced in the fields of computer and cellular phone technology, integrated medicine and health and fitness. She writes a monthly column for a local paper and posts daily Internet content in the area of elementary-years parenting.