A groin strain is when there is a tear or pull in the three muscles of the inner thigh, also called the adductor muscles. This combination of muscles runs from the groin all the way down the inner thigh and connects to the knee. A pulled groin can be caused by many different things, such as a direct blow to the groin area, straining the muscle beyond what it is capable of, overuse or putting too much stress on the muscles when they have not been properly stretched 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Symptoms of Female Groin Pulls
Symptoms can be mild to very severe in a groin pull. You will experience pain when moving, and you may experience groin pain when going to the bathroom.
How It's Diagnosed
Difference Between Hernia & Groin Pull
Your physician will physically exam the area to locate any swelling or lumps that appear on the groin area. The physical examination will reveal whether or not the pain is the result of other medical conditions such as kidney stones, enlarged lymph nodes or other pelvic problems such as ovarian cysts. Ovarian cysts can cause intense pain that may seem to run down the leg and may resemble a muscle pull. X-rays, CT scans and other tests may be performed to rule out any other problems before a full diagnosis is given.
- Your physician will physically exam the area to locate any swelling or lumps that appear on the groin area.
- Ovarian cysts can cause intense pain that may seem to run down the leg and may resemble a muscle pull.
Groin pain treatment in women varies depending on the diagnosis during your evaluation. The most common form of treatment for a groin pull is women are rest and medications. Ibuprofen and Naproxen are both anti-inflammatory medicines that help with swelling and inflammation. Heat applied to the general area or a warm bath can provide temporary relief. Treatment is based on the exact cause of the pain. Any pain that has occurred for several days should be seen to by a physician.
- Groin pain treatment in women varies depending on the diagnosis during your evaluation.
- Heat applied to the general area or a warm bath can provide temporary relief.
Difference Between Hernia & Groin Pull
Can You Pull Muscles in Your Breast?
Suprapubic Pain While Running
About Groin & Knee Pain
Groin Pain After Golf
Glute & Hamstring Pain
Buttocks & Leg Pain
Strain of the Pectoral Muscle
Hyperextension of the Calf
How Long Does It Take a Torn Muscle to Heal?
- Pulled groin muscle
- Shetty VD, Shetty NS, Shetty AP. Groin pain in athletes: a novel diagnostic approach. SICOT J. 2015;1:16. doi:10.1051/sicotj/2015017
- Tyler TF, Silvers HJ, Gerhardt MB, Nicholas SJ. Groin injuries in sports medicine. Sports Health. 2010;2(3):231-6. doi:10.1177/1941738110366820
- Jenkins JT, O'dwyer PJ. Inguinal hernias. BMJ. 2008;336(7638):269-72. doi:10.1136/bmj.39450.428275.AD
- Chung C, Stern PJ, Dufton J. Urolithiasis presenting as right flank pain: a case report. J Can Chiropr Assoc. 2013;57(1):69-75.
- Khan AM, Mcloughlin E, Giannakas K, Hutchinson C, Andrew JG. Hip osteoarthritis: where is the pain? Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2004;86(2):119-21. doi:10.1308/003588404322827518
- Pun S, Kumar D, Lane NE. Femoroacetabular impingement. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015;67(1):17-27. doi:10.1002/art.38887
- Groh MM, Herrera J. A comprehensive review of hip labral tears. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2009;2(2):105-17. doi:10.1007/s12178-009-9052-9
- Moya-angeler J, Gianakos AL, Villa JC, Ni A, Lane JM. Current concepts on osteonecrosis of the femoral head.World J Orthop. 2015;6(8):590-601. doi:10.5312/wjo.v6.i8.590
- Larson CM. Sports hernia/athletic pubalgia: evaluation and management. Sports Health. 2014;6(2):139-44. doi:10.1177/1941738114523557
- Allegri M, Montella S, Salici F, et al. Mechanisms of low back pain: a guide for diagnosis and therapy. F1000Res. 2016;5. doi:10.12688/f1000research.8105.2
- Gomella P, Mufarrij P. Osteitis pubis: A rare cause of suprapubic pain. Rev Urol. 2017;19(3):156-163.
- Bisciotti GN, Auci A, Di marzo F, et al. Groin pain syndrome: an association of different pathologies and a case presentation. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2015;5(3):214-22. doi:10.11138/mltj/2015.5.3.214
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. (n.d.). Hip Fractures. https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/hip-fractures/
- Bisciotti GN et al. Groin Pain Syndrome: An Association of Different Pathologies and a Case Presentation. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2015 Jul-Sep;5(3):214-22.
- Johnson R. (2018). Approach to hip and groin pain in the athlete and active adult. Fricker P, Fields KB, eds. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate Inc.
- Martin RR, Martin HD, Kivlan BR. Nerve Entrapment in the Hip Region: Current Concepts Review. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2017 Dec;12(7):1163-73.
- Wilson JJ, Furukawa M. Evaluation of the Patient with Hip Pain. Am Fam Physician. 2014 Jan 1;89(1):27-34.
Based in Atlanta, Melody Dawn has been writing business articles and blogs since 2004. Her work has appeared in the "Gainesville Times," "Player's Press" and "USA Today." She is also skilled in writing product descriptions and marketing materials. Dawn holds a Master of Business from Brenau University.