What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How to Counteract Hyperhidrosis with Cymbalta
Whether you're taking Cymbalta for a generalized anxiety disorder or to treat a condition causing chronic pain, this prescription drug may cause the side effect of excessive sweating 23. Most people experiencing this side effect, also known as hyperhidrosis, notice an increase in sweating on the palms of their hands, the soles of their feet and their underarms, but you may suffer from an escalation in perspiration anywhere on the body 13. Besides talking to your doctor about switching medications, you may be able to counteract this acquired hyperhidrosis 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Apply an antiperspirant. One of the easiest things you can do to help counteract hyperhidrosis as a result of Cymbalta is to start using an antiperspirant, even on the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet 123. Regular antiperspirants can be worn throughout the day, but prescription antiperspirants can often help mild-to-moderate sweating. Simply apply this product to trouble areas before bed, and then wash off in the morning.
How to Stop Eyebrow Sweat
Wear natural fibers from your head down to your toes. Natural fibers tend to "breathe" more than their synthetic counterparts, so wear clothing and socks made of cotton (or even wool) and shoes made of leather, woven materials or wicking fabrics (as would be the case in athletic shoes). This will keep you cool and help to counteract the hyperhidrosis 1.
Talk to your doctor about anticholinergics. This type of prescription medication controls certain neurotransmitters that are telling your body to sweat, so taking an anticholinergic like glycopyrrolate can counteract the excessive sweating that Cymbalta causes 23.
Facial Sweating Products
Try using iontophoresis, a transdermal therapy in which low-level currents essentially impede the release of sweat. Usually isolated to the hands and feet, treatment is administered each day for two to three consecutive weeks until sweating lessens. To learn more about this treatment, talk to your family physician.
Start using Botox. While this isn't necessarily the cheapest option, Botox can eliminate excessive sweating anywhere it is injected. The number of injections needed will vary from person to person, so consult your doctor to see if this is a feasible option for you
When suffering from hyperhidrosis due to Cymbalta, make sure to bathe each day and dry yourself fully. Since you're experiencing an increase in perspiration, you want to ensure that your body doesn't become a breeding ground for germs and bacteria. By regularly bathing as well as drawing excess moisture away from the skin, you can keep infections at bay.
Consider changing your socks (or simply removing them) after you return home from work. This can also help stave off bacterial infections as well as keep your feet dry and comfortable.
Prescription antiperspirants can often irritate the skin, so washing off this medicated solution each morning should keep the skin from swelling and reddening. Before turning to a prescription antiperspirant, make sure to try the over-the-counter variety.
How to Stop Eyebrow Sweat
Facial Sweating Products
How to Reduce Scalp Sweating
What Causes Sticky Perspiration?
Side Effects of Effexor 37.5Mg
How to Stop Excessive Underarm Sweat
Zopiclone Side Effects
Does Taking Testosterone Boosting Supplements Cause Baldness?
How to Take Yohimbe Before a Meal
How to Permanently Remove Hair on the Legs
- Mayo Clinic: Hyperhidrosis
- Drugs.com: Cymbalta
- Center for Excessive Sweating: Cymbalta and Hyperhidrosis
- National Organization of Rare Disorders. Hyperhidrosis, primary.
- Kargi AB. Plantar sweating as an indicator of lower risk of compensatory sweating after thoracic sympathectomy. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;65(6):479-483. doi:10.1055/s-0036-1579680.
- Cleveland Clinic. Hyperhidrosis.
- Brackenrich J, Fagg C. Hyperhidrosis. In: StatPearls. Updated 2019 May 5.
- Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center. Keratoderma palmoplantaris transgrediens. Updated April 10, 2019.
- Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center. Frey's syndrome. Updated April 10, 2019.
- Cite Kamudoni P, Mueller B, Halford J, Schouveller A, Stacey B, Salek MS. The impact of hyperhidrosis on patients' daily life and quality of life: a qualitative investigation. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15(1):121. doi:10.1186/s12955-017-0693-x
- Hajjar WM, Al-Nassar SA, Al-Sharif HM, et al. The quality of life and satisfaction rate of patients with upper limb hyperhidrosis before and after bilateral endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy. Saudi J Anaesth. 2019;13(1):16–22. doi:10.4103/sja.SJA_335_18
- Johns Hopkins Medical, The Center for Sweat Disorders. FAQ's about hyperhidrosis.
- When suffering from hyperhidrosis due to Cymbalta, make sure to bathe each day and dry yourself fully. Since you're experiencing an increase in perspiration, you want to ensure that your body doesn't become a breeding ground for germs and bacteria. By regularly bathing as well as drawing excess moisture away from the skin, you can keep infections at bay. Consider changing your socks (or simply removing them) after you return home from work. This can also help stave off bacterial infections as well as keep your feet dry and comfortable.
- Prescription antiperspirants can often irritate the skin, so washing off this medicated solution each morning should keep the skin from swelling and reddening. Before turning to a prescription antiperspirant, make sure to try the over-the-counter variety.
Based in Minneapolis, Minn., Dana Severson has been writing marketing materials for small-to-mid-sized businesses since 2005. Prior to this, Severson worked as a manager of business development for a marketing company, developing targeted marketing campaigns for Big G, Betty Crocker and Pillsbury, among others.