Consequences of Weight Gain After Having a Tummy Tuck
A tummy tuck, also referred to as abdominoplasty, removes excess skin and then repositions the belly button. It can flatten and firm the abdominal region, but you must also maintain a healthy lifestyle with proper diet and exercise. Minimal weight gain after a tummy tuck will not have a significant impact, but excessive weight gain will stretch the skin and stretch the abdominal muscles. Pregnancy after a tummy tuck can also affect the results.
Weight gain after a tummy tuck will affect the surgery results. Since a tummy tuck removes fat cells, there are fewer fat cells in the abdominal area. This means that the fat distribution will be less in the area of the stomach than before surgery, but the skin will stretch and with time there will be more skin, according to plastic surgeon Richard Dowden, M.D., C.M., F.A.C.S.
Loss of Muscle Firmness
Elasticity of Skin After Weight Loss
Excessive weight gain causes the skin and the abdominal muscles to stretch. This results in a loss of muscle firmness and tone. The abdominals will not remain as flat as they were after the tummy tuck was initially performed, according to the Northwestern Plastic Surgery Center.
Regular exercise and a healthy diet are recommended to help maintain the results of the tummy tuck surgery. Abdominoplasty is not a replacement for weight loss. It used to remove excess skin after a large amount of weight loss and or multiple pregnancies. It can also help people who cannot lose the excess stomach bulge even after diet and exercise.
- Excessive weight gain causes the skin and the abdominal muscles to stretch.
- It used to remove excess skin after a large amount of weight loss and or multiple pregnancies.
Tummy tucks are usually an option for women after pregnancy and who do not plan to get pregnant again. A tummy tuck will not affect the pregnancy or the baby, according to the National Institutes of Health. Having a baby after a tummy tuck will affect the surgery results. The skin will stretch and lose muscle tone requiring another abdominoplasty to remove the excess skin to flatten the abdominal area. Therefore, this surgery is not recommended for women who are planning to get pregnant.
- Tummy tucks are usually an option for women after pregnancy and who do not plan to get pregnant again.
Elasticity of Skin After Weight Loss
How Do I Get a Flatter Tummy After Liposuction?
How to Get Rid of Stitch Scars on the Face
What Should You Do if You Are Losing Weight But Getting Flabby?
When Does Belly Skin Tighten After a Birth?
The Best Way to Tighten Your Skin after Losing Weight
Safe Way to Reduce Belly Fat After Hernia Repair
How to Remove Skin Tags with Tea Tree Oil
Why Can't I Get My Stomach Flat After Twins?
How to Tighten Skin After Liposuction
- National Institutes of Health: Abdominal Wall Surgery
- Dr. Ivan Thomas: Beverly Hills Tummy Tuck- Abdominplasty
- Dr. Dowden: General Information About Dr. Dowden
- Dr. Dowden: Plastic Surgery, Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) FAQ's
- Dr. Sean Younai: More About Tummy Tuck
- Staalesen, T., Elander, A., Strandell, A., & Bergh, C. (2012). A systematic review of outcomes of abdominoplasty. Journal of Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery, 46(3-4), 139–144. doi:10.3109/2000656X.2012.683794
- Manstein D, Laubach H, Watanabe K, Farinelli W, Zurakowski D, Anderson RR. Selective cryolysis: a novel method of non-invasive fat removal. Lasers Surg Med. 2008;40(9):595-604.
- Raphael, B. A., & Wasserman, D. I. (2013). Getting to the bare bones: A comprehensive update of non-invasive treatments for body sculpting. Current Dermatology Reports, 2(2), 144–149.
- Brooks R, Nguyen J, Chowdhry S, et al. Champagne Groove Lipectomy: A Safe Technique to Contour the Upper Abdomen in Abdominoplasty. Eplasty. 2017;17:e9. Published 2017 Mar 6.
- Hoyos Ariza AE, Perez Pachon ME. High-Definition Excisional Body Contouring: Mini Lipoabdominoplasty (FIT Mommy) and Enhanced Viability Abdominoplasty. Clin Plast Surg. 2020;47(3):415-428. doi:10.1016/j.cps.2020.03.008
- Rosen CM, Ngaage LM, Rada EM, Slezak S, Kavic S, Rasko Y. Surgical Management of Diastasis Recti: A Systematic Review of Insurance Coverage in the United States. Ann Plast Surg. 2019;83(4):475-480. doi:10.1097/SAP.0000000000001694
- Regan JP, Casaubon JT. Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) [Updated 2020 May 8]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing.
- Cleveland Clinic. Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). Updated September 2, 2016.
- de Vries CEE, Klassen AF, Hoogbergen MM, Alderman AK, Pusic AL. Measuring Outcomes in Cosmetic Abdominoplasty: The BODY-Q. Clin Plast Surg. 2020;47(3):429-436. doi:10.1016/j.cps.2020.03.003
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. What are the risks of tummy tuck surgery? Updated 2020.
- Horta R, Domingues CS, Dias CC, Barreiro D. A Newly Designed Ruler for Planning Incision Markings in Abdominoplasty Surgery [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jun 5]. Surg Innov. 2020;1553350620929303. doi:10.1177/1553350620929303
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Tummy tuck procedure steps.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. What kind of scar can you expect after a tummy tuck? Updated January 10, 2020.
Caroline Thompson is a professional photojournalist who has been working for print and online publications since 1999. Her work has appeared in the "Sacramento Bee," "People Magazine," "Newsweek" and other publications. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in photojournalism from California State University at Hayward and a personal trainer certification from the university's Health and Fitness Institute.