Different types of cancer can occur in the region of the chest, or thoracic cavity, according to the Indiana University Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center. Cancer can occur in the chest wall, causing pain due to tumors. Lung cancer is also a very common form of chest cancer. If cancer occurs in the esophagus, it can lead to symptoms in the chest. Furthermore, cancer of the thymus, which is situated behind the breastbone, is also considered to be a chest cancer.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Pain in the chest may be the result of cancer of the esophagus, lung cancer or cancer of the chest wall. Chest pain may occur at the very center of the chest in esophageal cancer and may include sensations of heartburn, the National Cancer Institute says. According to the NCI, cancer of the thymus also produces chest pain.
Signs of End Stage Breast Cancer
A cough that seems to persist for a long time may be a symptom of lung cancer. According to the NCI, a cough might also indicate cancer of the thymus. Difficulties breathing can be warning signs of these cancers. Furthermore, an abnormal growth in the chest cavity could affect breathing if it interferes with the lungs, the University of Rochester Medical Center says 1.
- A cough that seems to persist for a long time may be a symptom of lung cancer.
- According to the NCI, a cough might also indicate cancer of the thymus.
Cancerous growths can occur on the chest wall in muscle or bone in the form of tumors. Chest wall tumors can be the result of breast or other cancer that has spread to nearby tissues. According to the University of Rochester Medical Center, it is more unusual to find a cancerous chest wall tumor than a non-cancerous one 1.
Lung Problems That Cause Chest Pain
Fatigue, while a symptom of other conditions, may also indicate a chest cancer if the other symptoms are present, the NCI says. Lung cancer may cause fatigue in later stages of the disease, the institute says. It is important to check with your doctor if any of the above symptoms appear.
Signs of End Stage Breast Cancer
Lung Problems That Cause Chest Pain
Causes of Pain on the Right Side of the Chest When Breathing
Symptoms of Cecum Carcinoma
Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma Cough Symptoms
Signs of the Last Stages of Bone Cancer
How to Check for Throat Cancer Symptoms
Signs and Symptoms of Varicella Pneumonia
Causes of Burning Pain in the Chest & Back
Early Signs and Symptoms of Throat Cancer
- University of Rochester Medical Center: Encyclopedia: Chest Wall Tumors
- Baicus C, Rimbas M, Baicus A, Caraiola S. Cancer and involuntary weight loss: failure to validate a prediction score. PLoS ONE. 2014;9(4):e95286. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0095286
- InformedHealth.org. Colorectal cancer: Overview. Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG). Updated April 5, 2018.
- Porporato PE. Understanding cachexia as a cancer metabolism syndrome. Oncogenesis. 2016;5:e200. doi:10.1038/oncsis.2016.3
- American Cancer Society. Limitations of Mammograms. Updated October 9, 2017.
- American Cancer Society. Signs and Symptoms of Hodgkin Lymphoma. Updated May 1, 2018.
- Sathyanarayan V, Bharani SK. Enlarged lymph nodes in head and neck cancer: Analysis with triplex ultrasonography. Ann Maxillofac Surg. 2013;3(1):35-9. doi:10.4103/2231-0746.110077
- Howell DA, Warburton F, Ramirez AJ, Roman E, Smith AG, Forbes LJ. Risk factors and time to symptomatic presentation in leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Br J Cancer. 2015;113(7):1114-20. doi:10.1038/bjc.2015.311
- Kaunitz AM. Patient education: Abnormal uterine bleeding (Beyond the Basics). Updated January 14, 2019.
- Lakatos PL, Lakatos L. Risk for colorectal cancer in ulcerative colitis: changes, causes and management strategies. World J Gastroenterol. 2008;14(25):3937-47. doi:10.3748/wjg.14.3937
- Molassiotis A, Smith JA, Mazzone P, Blackhall F, Irwin RS. Symptomatic Treatment of Cough Among Adult Patients With Lung Cancer: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report. Chest. 2017;151(4):861-874. doi:10.1016/j.chest.2016.12.028
- American Cancer Society. Signs and Symptoms of Lung Cancer. Updated February 22, 2016.
- American Cancer Society. Signs and Symptoms of Adult Brain and Spinal Cord Tumors. Updated November 6, 2017.
- Owonikoko TK, Arbiser J, Zelnak A, et al. Current approaches to the treatment of metastatic brain tumours. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2014;11(4):203-22. doi:10.1038/nrclinonc.2014.25
- Mabry LM, Ross MD, Tonarelli JM. Metastatic cancer mimicking mechanical low back pain: a case report. J Man Manip Ther. 2014;22(3):162-9. doi:10.1179/2042618613Y.0000000056
- Narayanan V, Koshy C. Fatigue in cancer: a review of literature. Indian J Palliat Care. 2009;15(1):19-25. doi:10.4103/0973-1075.53507
- Office of the Surgeon General. U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Surgeon General Call to Action to Prevent Skin Cancer: Exec Summary. Updated July 28, 2014.
- Jelovac D, Armstrong DK. Recent progress in the diagnosis and treatment of ovarian cancer. CA Cancer J Clin. 2011;61(3):183-203. doi:10.3322/caac.20113
- Freedman ND, Silverman DT, Hollenbeck AR, Schatzkin A, Abnet CC. Association between smoking and risk of bladder cancer among men and women. JAMA. 2011;306(7):737-45. doi:10.1001/jama.2011.1142
- Ramakrishnaiah VP, Malage S, Sreenath GS, Kotlapati S, Cyriac S. Palliation of Dysphagia in Carcinoma Esophagus. Clin Med Insights Gastroenterol. 2016;9:11-23. doi:10.4137/CGast.S30303
- Elyamany G, Alzahrani AM, Bukhary E. Cancer-associated thrombosis: an overview. Clin Med Insights Oncol. 2014;8:129-37. doi:10.4137/CMO.S18991
- Kenner BJ. Early Detection of Pancreatic Cancer: The Role of Depression and Anxiety as a Precursor for Disease. Pancreas. 2018;47(4):363-367. doi:10.1097/MPA.0000000000001024
- Prabhu SR, Wilson DF. Human papillomavirus and oral disease - emerging evidence: a review. Aust Dent J. 2013;58(1):2-10. doi:10.1111/adj.12020
- Goldner W. Cancer-Related Hypercalcemia. J Oncol Pract. 2016;12(5):426-32. doi:10.1200/JOP.2016.011155
- Hershey DS, Hession S. Chemotherapy and Glycemic Control in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes and Cancer: A Comparative Case Analysis. Asia Pac J Oncol Nurs. 2017;4(3):224-232. doi:10.4103/apjon.apjon_22_17
- Hamilton W, Walter FM, Rubin G, Neal RD. Improving early diagnosis of symptomatic cancer. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2016;13(12):740-749. doi:10.1038/nrclinonc.2016.109
- American Cancer Society. Cancer Prevention and Early Detection Facts and Figures.
- Hamilton W, Walter F, Rubin G, Neal R. Improving Early Diagnosis of Symptomatic Cancer. Nature Reviews: Clinical Oncology. 2016 Jul 26. (Epub ahead of print).
- Søgaard M, Thomsen RW, Bossen KS, Sørensen HT, Nørgaard M. The Impact of Comorbidity on Cancer Survival: a Review. Clin Epidemiol. 2013;5(Suppl 1):3–29. Published 2013 Nov 1. doi:10.2147/CLEP.S47150
- Walter F, Emery J, Mendonca S, et al. Symptoms and Patient Factors Associated with Longer Time to Diagnosis for Colorectal Cancer: Results From a Prospective Cohort Study. British Journal of Cancer. 2016 Aug 4. doi:10.1038%2Fbjc.2016.221
- Zeichner S, Montero A. Detecting Cancer: Pearls for the Primary Care Physician. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2016. 83(7):515-23. doi:10.3949/ccjm.83a.15124
Deirdre Denholm launched her professional writing career in 2010. She is a graduate of the Ontario College of Art and Design, Toronto, a certified personal trainer and teaches aqua aerobics, yoga and cycle. Denholm also holds Bachelor of Arts degrees in English literature and psychology from York University, Toronto.