What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Most adult women shave under their arms to make their underarms more attractive, but occasionally the underarm hair will start to thin out and not grow in anymore. Although it may seem like a benefit to have thinner underarm hair, it can indicate an underlying health condition and should be looked at by a medical doctor.
When the thyroid hormone is not released into the bloodstream like it should be, it can cause the systems in the body to not function properly. One of the ways that the body dysfunctions is to cause hair loss, which can be seen all over the body, including under the arms 1. If the underarms start to thin out or lose hair unexpectedly, it could be a symptom of a thyroid disorder.
Niacin & Thyroid Disease
Alopecia is a condition that causes rounded patches of hair loss on the scalp and body 1. It is worsened from stress and anxiety and can cause the follicles to constrict and suffocate the hair roots. Alopecia can effect the underarms, causing the hair to be lost in patches, rather than thinning out.
- Alopecia is a condition that causes rounded patches of hair loss on the scalp and body 1.
- Alopecia can effect the underarms, causing the hair to be lost in patches, rather than thinning out.
If the adrenal glands are dysfunctional, it can inhibit hair growth. Because adrenal insufficiency is a serious medical concern, talk to your doctor right away if you suspect that underarm hair loss may result from adrenal problems.
Folic Acid & Gray Hair
Diabetes is a condition that causes the pancreas to not be able to produce or regulate insulin levels. This can result in blood sugar in the body becoming either too high or too low, which can cause all of the other systems in the body to not work properly. As a result, symptoms can be seen, such as:
- hair loss
- muscle weakness
- kidney problems
Hair loss can occur all over the body, and is not centralized on the head. If underarm hair loss is accompanied by confusion, fatigue or kidney problems, talk to your doctor about taking a blood sugar test.
- Diabetes is a condition that causes the pancreas to not be able to produce or regulate insulin levels.
- This can result in blood sugar in the body becoming either too high or too low, which can cause all of the other systems in the body to not work properly.
Malnutrition results from the body not receiving enough nutrients from the foods that are eaten. This can be caused by eating only processed foods, not taking a multivitamin or an intestinal parasite. Malnutrition can cause weight loss, tooth decay, and hair loss on the head and body, including the armpits. Taking a multivitamin can improve the body's functioning and can help increase hair growth.
- Malnutrition results from the body not receiving enough nutrients from the foods that are eaten.
Niacin & Thyroid Disease
Folic Acid & Gray Hair
L-Carnitine & Hypothyroidism
What Are the Causes of Mustache Hair Loss?
What Causes Hair on the Arms to Grow in a Woman?
Chest Hair Growth in Women
How to Remove Hair Permanently Naturally
How to Stop the Itch of Folliculitis
Can You Make Your Hair Grow More Slowly?
What Can Help Regrow Eyelashes?
- Health Causes of Hair Loss
- Phillips TG, Slomiany WP, Allison R. Hair Loss: Common Causes and Treatment. Am Fam Physician. 2017;96(6):371-378.
- Watras MM, Patel JP, Arya R. Traditional anticoagulants and hair loss: a role for direct oral anticoagulants? A review of the literature. Drugs Real World Outcomes. 2016;3(1):1-6. doi:10.1007/s40801-015-0056-z
- Urysiak-czubatka I, Kmieć ML, Broniarczyk-dyła G. Assessment of the usefulness of dihydrotestosterone in the diagnostics of patients with androgenetic alopecia. Postepy Dermatol Alergol. 2014;31(4):207-15. doi:10.5114/pdia.2014.40925
- Vincent M, Yogiraj K. A descriptive study of alopecia patterns and their relation to thyroid dysfunction. Int J Trichology. 2013;5(1):57-60. doi:10.4103/0974-7753.114701
- Peters EMJ, Müller Y, Snaga W, et al. Hair and stress: A pilot study of hair and cytokine balance alteration in healthy young women under major exam stress. PLoS ONE. 2017;12(4):e0175904. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0175904
- Pratt CH, King LE, Messenger AG, Christiano AM, Sundberg JP. Alopecia areata. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017;3:17011. doi:10.1038/nrdp.2017.11
- American Academy of Dermatology. Alopecia Areata: Overview.