What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Women spend much of their lives trying different techniques to get rid of leg hair. However, experiencing hair loss on the legs could be a sign of another health issue that could require medical care 1. While you naturally experience a thinning of hair as you age, losing hair quickly or in patches can indicate that you have another issue requiring consultation with your doctor.
Aging and Menopause
Leg hair loss in women can occur simply as a result of aging and the resulting hormonal fluctuations related to menopause 1. Hair can thin due to changes in testosterone and dry skin issues. Leg hair can also decrease in circumference, resulting in thinner, softer leg hair. Taking a good multivitamin can be beneficial in maintaining hair health during menopause.
- Leg hair loss in women can occur simply as a result of aging and the resulting hormonal fluctuations related to menopause 1.
- Taking a good multivitamin can be beneficial in maintaining hair health during menopause.
What Can Help Regrow Eyelashes?
According to the Hair Loss Information's website, women can lose leg hair due to thyroid problems 13. Thyroid problems cause fluctuations in hormones, which can result in loss of body hair, including that of the legs 123. DHEA, and throxine are two hormones whose fluctuations can cause hair loss in the legs 12. Losing leg hair, eyebrow hair and underarm hair can be an indication that you suffer from low thyroid.
Rapid Weight Loss
Rapid weight loss, such as during an illness or after having a weight loss surgery, can cause hair loss on the head and other parts of the body, including a woman's legs 12. This can be a result of the trauma of surgery as well as the lowered nutrition that rapid weight loss can result in. Inadequate protein during weight loss can increase leg hair loss, so increasing protein in the diet can slow and stop the loss from occurring 1.
Medical Reasons for Eyebrow Loss
Chemotherapy, radiation and other medical treatments can cause you to develop hair loss in the legs and other areas of the body 12. Any time a strong medication is needed to treat disease, it can affect skin and hair follicles. Typically, once the treatment is finished, hair will begin to grow back on a woman's legs, though it may be a different texture than it was before treatment.
- Chemotherapy, radiation and other medical treatments can cause you to develop hair loss in the legs and other areas of the body 1.
- Any time a strong medication is needed to treat disease, it can affect skin and hair follicles.
Alopecia areata is a hair loss disease with an unknown cause. It is considered an autoimmune disease, but people who develop it are usually in good health otherwise. According to the Mayo Clinic, some scientists think that women may be genetically predisposed to develop this disease, usually after some type of trauma to the body occurs to trigger it 1. For example, a traumatic surgery, virus or something in the environment can spur the condition. If there is a history of female alopecia areata in the family, you are more likely to develop it. With this disease, your hair may grow back, but you may lose and regrow it numerous times.
- Alopecia areata is a hair loss disease with an unknown cause.
- With this disease, your hair may grow back, but you may lose and regrow it numerous times.
What Can Help Regrow Eyelashes?
Medical Reasons for Eyebrow Loss
Causes of Underarm Hair Loss
Causes of Pubic Hair Loss
Causes of Hair Loss and Itchy Scalp in Women
What Causes Stretch Marks on the Legs?
Causes of Tingling in the Leg & Foot
Why Is the Hair on My Legs Falling Out?
Propecia vs. Rogaine
Diseases Causing a Change in Hair Texture
- The Mayo Clinic: Hair Loss
- Hair Loss Adviser: What is the Cause of Body Hair Loss?
- Hair Loss Information: Thyroid Hair Loss
- DermaDoctor: Menopause
- Fabbrocini G, Cantelli M, Masarà A, Annunziata MC, Marasca C, Cacciapuoti S. Female pattern hair loss: A clinical, pathophysiologic, and therapeutic review. Int J Womens Dermatol. 2018;4(4):203-211. doi:10.1016/j.ijwd.2018.05.001
- Mirmirani P. Managing hair loss in midlife women. Maturitas. 2013;74(2):119-22. doi:10.1016/j.maturitas.2012.10.020
- Trost LB, Bergfeld WF, Calogeras E. The diagnosis and treatment of iron deficiency and its potential relationship to hair loss. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006;54(5):824-44. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2005.11.1104
- Park SY, Na SY, Kim JH, Cho S, Lee JH. Iron plays a certain role in patterned hair loss. J Korean Med Sci. 2013;28(6):934-8. doi:10.3346/jkms.2013.28.6.934
- Guo EL, Katta R. Diet and hair loss: effects of nutrient deficiency and supplement use. Dermatol Pract Concept. 2017;7(1):1-10. doi:10.5826/dpc.0701a01
- Vincent M, Yogiraj K. A Descriptive Study of Alopecia Patterns and their Relation to Thyroid Dysfunction. Int J Trichology. 2013;5(1):57-60. doi:10.4103/0974-7753.114701
- Davis SR, Castelo-branco C, Chedraui P, et al. Understanding weight gain at menopause. Climacteric. 2012;15(5):419-29. doi:10.3109/13697137.2012.707385
- Gupta AK, Charrette A. Topical Minoxidil: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Its Efficacy in Androgenetic Alopecia. Skinmed. 2015;13(3):185-9.
- American Academy of Dermatology. Thinning hair and hair loss: Could it be female pattern hair loss?
- Harvard Health Publications. Treating female pattern hair loss - Harvard health.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. Female pattern baldness.
Kristen Douglas has been writing since 1984 and editing since 1996. She has contributed to "Independent News," "Folio Weekly" and numerous private blogs, with experience covering topics such as home and garden, education, marketing, mental health and cooking/food. Douglas has certification in information processing from Metro Business College and a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from Columbia College.