Can Pregnant Women Drink Apple Cider?
During pregnancy, you should exclude several types of foods from your diet to avoid suffering from food-borne illness. Hot apple cider may be one of your favorite beverages on a cold winter day. Being pregnant doesn't require you to give up your favorite drink. You can continue to enjoy apple cider throughout your pregnancy, but you need to make sure the cider you drink is pasteurized and store it at proper temperatures at home.
Concerns over apple cider during pregnancy relate to food-borne illnesses. Unpasteurized apple cider can be contaminated with Escherichia coli, or E. coli for short, if it isn't handled properly during processing. Suffering from nausea, uncontrollable diarrhea, abdominal cramps or a fever may be a sign of a food-borne illness. If you have any of these symptoms, notify your health care provider immediately to avoid complications. Ensuring that your apple cider is pasteurized helps prevent health issues associated with food-borne illness.
- Concerns over apple cider during pregnancy relate to food-borne illnesses.
- Unpasteurized apple cider can be contaminated with Escherichia coli, or E. coli for short, if it isn't handled properly during processing.
Kombucha Vs. Rejuvelac
Some types of harmful bacteria are destroyed easily at high temperatures. In addition to E. coli, apple cider can be contaminated with salmonella, both of which break down under extreme heat. During pasteurization, apple cider reaches temperatures of 160 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the University of Georgia. If you are making apple cider at home, you can pasteurize it on the stove, but make sure it doesn't reach more than 185 degrees. Getting apple cider too hot by boiling it can create an unpleasant flavor.
- Some types of harmful bacteria are destroyed easily at high temperatures.
- In addition to E. coli, apple cider can be contaminated with salmonella, both of which break down under extreme heat.
While your apple cider may be properly pasteurized, holding it at the wrong temperatures for an extended period of time increases the risk of bacterial growth. Avoid contamination by storing apple cider at refrigerated temperatures below 40 degrees. If you are keeping it hot on the stove, ensure it stays above 140 degrees in order for it to remain safe for you to drink during pregnancy.
Treating Food Poisoning
Pear Cider & Allergies
Drinking contaminated apple cider puts you at risk for severe gastrointestinal upset. Foreign bacteria are dangerous while you are pregnant because they not only harm you, but they can also harm your unborn child. If you experience diarrhea or vomiting, replacing lost fluids is imperative. Specifically, you need to ingest electrolytes, such as sodium, potassium and calcium, which help maintain fluid in your body. Drinking a sports beverage is one of the most common ways to replace fluids during illness. In severe cases, you may need to go to a hospital to connect to intravenous fluid. Treating the infection early with antibiotics may prevent harmful organisms from getting to the baby. Let your physician know if you suspect food poisoning from apple cider; it may help him make a proper diagnosis.
- Drinking contaminated apple cider puts you at risk for severe gastrointestinal upset.
- In severe cases, you may need to go to a hospital to connect to intravenous fluid.
Kombucha Vs. Rejuvelac
Pear Cider & Allergies
Carrots & Food Poisoning
How to Lower a High Fever in a 6-Month-Old Baby
Japanese Cold Remedies
Fever After Exercise
How to Clean Baby Bottles That Have a Milk Odor
How to Clean a Toothbrush
Sore Throat After Swimming in a Lake
Drinking Enough Water During a Juice Fast
- Therapeutic Research Center. Apple Cider Vinegar. Professional Monograph. Updated 1/16/2020
- Kondo T, Kishi M, Fushimi T, Ugajin S, Kaga T. Vinegar intake reduces body weight, body fat mass, and serum triglyceride levels in obese Japanese subjects. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73(8):1837-43. doi:10.1271/bbb.90231
- Khezri, S. S., Saidpour, A., Hosseinzadeh, N., & Amiri, Z. Beneficial effects of Apple Cider Vinegar on weight management, Visceral Adiposity Index and lipid profile in overweight or obese subjects receiving restricted calorie diet: A randomized clinical trial. Journal of Functional Foods. 2018;43, 95–102. doi:10.1016/j.jff.2018.02.003
- Johnston CS, Gaas CA. Vinegar: medicinal uses and antiglycemic effect. MedGenMed. 2006;8(2):61. Published 2006 May 30.
- Gambon DL, Brand HS, Veerman EC. Unhealthy weight loss. Erosion by apple cider vinegar. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd. 2012;119(12):589-91. doi:10.5177/ntvt.2012.12.12192
- Lhotta K, Höfle G, Gasser R, Finkenstedt G. Hypokalemia, hyperreninemia and osteoporosis in a patient ingesting large amounts of cider vinegar. Nephron. 1998;80(2):242-3. doi:10.1159/000045180
- Johnston CS, Steplewska I, Long CA, Harris LN, Ryals RH. Examination of the antiglycemic properties of vinegar in healthy adults. Ann Nutr Metab. 2010;56(1):74-9. doi:10.1159/000272133
- National Institutes of Health. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Green Tea. Updated November 30, 2016
Melodie Anne Coffman specializes in overall wellness, with particular interests in women's health and personal defense. She holds a master's degree in food science and human nutrition and is a certified instructor through the NRA. Coffman is pursuing her personal trainer certification in 2015.