What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
- Research confirmed in Pharmologivcal Research, Volume 51 issue 2. Anti-inflammatory effects of jojoba liquid wax in experimental models
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Jojoba, pronounced ho-ho-ba, is a desert plant from which oil is extracted. Why jojoba oil for rosacea? It has been found that the jojoba produces a wax-like substance that is similar to the oil produced by glands in human skin. This can be very replenishing and healing. People with rosacea suffer with dry skin that can be flaky and painful. They require treatment that is gentle and non-abrasive or damaging in any way.
Jojoba, although safe, should be tested on a small area of your skin to make sure you react well. Always consult a health care professional before using jojoba oil to treat rosacea or any condition.
Why Use Jojoba Oil?
Jojoba oil has been found to be very safe for rosacea skin according to the Journal of the American College of Toxicology. Although Jojoba oil will not "cure" rosacea, it can relieve and reduce symptoms. It is considered a natural treatment as there are no chemicals or man made substances in jojoba oil. People with rosacea sometimes suffer in silence, as there is no cure, only symptom relief. This leads them to take conventional medicine, which is usually an array of antibiotic creams.
These antibiotic creams need to be taken long term, as they do not cure rosacea, either.
By using jojoba oil to control symptoms, the need for antibiotic creams can be reduced. However, you must inform and consult your physician before changing your routine.
- Jojoba oil has been found to be very safe for rosacea skin according to the Journal of the American College of Toxicology.
- Although Jojoba oil will not "cure" rosacea, it can relieve and reduce symptoms.
How Jojoba Oil Helps
Sandalwood Oil & Acne
Human skin produces a waxy oil called sebum.
Sebum protects the skin from infections, bacteria and damage as well as maintains the natural oils of the skin so that the skin stays supple. People with rosacea do not get sufficient sebum, as the blood pooling in the skin does not allow the skin to behave normally.
When the skin is dry, this natural sebum is very important. Jojoba oil provides a human sebum-like cover, which provides the barrier needed to protect and to prevent dehydration.
- Human skin produces a waxy oil called sebum.
- People with rosacea do not get sufficient sebum, as the blood pooling in the skin does not allow the skin to behave normally.
Jojoba also contains a myristic acid, which is a common fatty acid that has anti-inflammatory properties, reducing swelling and redness. This gives relief to the rosacea sufferer and also relieves itching and dryness.
Another great benefit of jojoba oil is that it does not block your pores. Blocked pores can cause acne. Not having acne and spots is very good for with people who have rosacea because acne can make the rosacea worse.
- Jojoba also contains a myristic acid, which is a common fatty acid that has anti-inflammatory properties, reducing swelling and redness.
- Not having acne and spots is very good for with people who have rosacea because acne can make the rosacea worse.
How to Use
Pure Olive Oil As a Body Moisturizer
Rosacea sufferers should use jojoba oil instead of other moisturizers to keep their faces moist twice a day, morning and night. It should be noted that only pure jojoba oils should be used, and for purity's sake, organic would be more beneficial. Apply a small coin size dab to your palm and apply it to your face. Use clean fingers and a circular motion to gently rub the oil in. One option is to apply it right after a shower. This helps to lock in more moisture. Put the oil on without drying your face, or pat it dry and apply to a damp face.
- Rosacea sufferers should use jojoba oil instead of other moisturizers to keep their faces moist twice a day, morning and night.
- Put the oil on without drying your face, or pat it dry and apply to a damp face.
Jojoba oil can be expensive if you get the pure organic variety.
If you use too much, which is possible, as too much is just 10 little drops, you can have an obvious shine on your face. During the day, it is wise to use only a small amount; before bed you can be freer with the amount.
You can get really good quality jojoba oil from either your local health food shop or through websites such as www.naturallythinking.com. Make sure it is 100 percent pure and, if you can get a good deal, organic.
Sandalwood Oil & Acne
Pure Olive Oil As a Body Moisturizer
How to Make an Organic Emulsion for Skin Care
Oily & Peeling Skin
Essential Oils for Warts
How to Get the Redness Out of a Pimple
The Side Effects of Geranium Oil
Is It Possible to Tighten the Skin With Mustard Oil?
Are There Benefits of Macadamia Oil on the Skin?
Face Products for Incredibly Dry and Sensitive Acne-Prone Skin
- Al-Obaidi JR, Halabi MF, AlKhalifah NF, et al. A review on plant importance, biotechnological aspects, and cultivation challenges of jojoba plant. Biol Res. 2017;50:25. doi:10.1186/s40659-017-0131-x.
- Pazyar N, Yaghoobi R. The Potential Anti-Psoriatic Effects of Jojoba Extract. J Dermatol Res. 2016;1(1):14-15.
- Minckler MR, Fisher J, Bowers R, Amini R. Unusual etiology of gastrointestinal symptoms: the case of jojoba butter. Open Access Emerg Med. 2017;9:27-9. doi:10.2147/OAEM.S127273.
- Meier L, Stange R, Michalsen A, Uehleke B. Clay Jojoba Oil Facial Mask for Lesioned Skin and Mild Acne—Results of a Prospective, Observational Pilot Study. Forsch Komplementmed. 2012;19(2):75-9. doi:10.1159/000338076
- Ranzato E, Martinotti S, Burlando B. Wound Healing Properties of Jojoba Liquid Wax: An in Vitro Study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011 Mar 24;134(2):443-9. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2010.12.042
Alka Nathwani started writing professionally for alternative health and dentistry in 2008. She has written articles for specialist sites and has published work in the "EasternEye." Being a dentist allows Nathwani to take medical and research and explain it in an easy way.