Benefits of Magnesium Malate Supplements
Magnesium malate is a combination of malic acid and magnesium. Malic acid is an organic compound mostly found in fruits. The salts of malic acid are known as malates. Malic acid is an intermediate compound that is necessary to generate cellular energy. Magnesium is the mineral responsible for more than 300 chemical reactions in the body. Half of the magnesium present in the body is in your bones. Magnesium malate is beneficial for a variety metabolic, muscular and physical conditions.
Magnesium malate helps loosen stools and is used as a laxative to treat constipation. It is also used as a cleansing agent before a colonoscopy or bowel surgery. Magnesium has a natural laxative effect and malic acid has a natural stood softening effect. The two ingredients combined enhance the effects.
- Magnesium malate helps loosen stools and is used as a laxative to treat constipation.
Fibromyalgia Pain Relief
Benefits of Magnesium Aspartate
Magnesium combined with malate is used to help reduce symptoms and pain of fibromyalgia patients. A placebo controlled study by Guy E. Abraham M.D., F.A.C.N., and Jorge D. Flechas, M.D., M.P.H., published in the 1992 issue of the "Journal of Nutritional Medicine" treated 15 fibromyalgia patients between the ages of 32 to 60 suffering from musculoskeletal pain, stiffness and chronic aching with magnesium malate supplements. The total daily dosage was 300 to 600 mg of magnesium and 1,200 to 2,400 mg of malic acid. After eight weeks of treatment, all patients reported significant improvements in pain. Patients switched to placebo tablets reported a recurrence of myalgia after 48 hours.
- Magnesium combined with malate is used to help reduce symptoms and pain of fibromyalgia patients.
- Patients switched to placebo tablets reported a recurrence of myalgia after 48 hours.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Relief
Magnesium malate supplementation is effective for chronic fatigue syndrome, or CFS. A randomized double blind study by I.M. Cox, et al., published in the March 1991 issue of "Lancet" treated 32 CFS patients with magnesium sulphate or placebo in a six-week study. Seventeen CFS patients treated with magnesium said they benefited from the treatment; in contrast, three of the 17 CFS patients on placebo said they felt better. Malic acid, often combined with magnesium, increases energy production, aids in energy recovery and helps reduce symptoms of persistent fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Magnesium malate supplementation is effective for chronic fatigue syndrome, or CFS.
- Seventeen CFS patients treated with magnesium said they benefited from the treatment; in contrast, three of the 17 CFS patients on placebo said they felt better.
Benefits of Magnesium Aspartate
Magnesium as Treatment for Bipolar Disorder
Supplements to Heal Tendinitis
Side Effects of Nexium 40 mg Capsules
Malate Vs. Malic Acid
Glucosamine & Calcium
Tourette's and Magnesium
Kinds of Magnesium for Fibromyalgia
Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate and Anxiety
Can a Vitamin B12 Deficiency Cause Arthritis Symptoms?
- Urology Channel: Kidney Stones Alternative Treatment
- Medline Plus: Magnesium
- Fibro Care Center: Malic Acid and Magnesium for Fibro Pain
- Nutrition Review: Krebs Cycle Intermediates
- Science Links Japan: Augmented Laxative Action of Sugar Alcohol by Organic Acids and Inorganic Salts
- The Magnesium Web Site: Management of Fibromyalgia: Rationale for the Use of Magnesium and Malic Acid
- Engen DJ, McAllister SJ, Whipple MO, et al. Effects of transdermal magnesium chloride on quality of life for patients with fibromyalgia: a feasibility study. J Integr Med. 2015 Sep;13(5):306-13. doi:10.1016/S2095-4964(15)60195-9
- Fairley J, Zhang L, Glassford N, Bellomo R. Magnesium status and magnesium therapy in cardiac surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis focusing on arrhythmia prevention. Journal of Critical Care. 2017 42:69-77. doi:10.1016/j.jcrc.2017.05.038
- Fang X, Wang K, Han D, et al. Circulating magnesium levels and incidence of coronary heart diseases, hypertension, and type 2 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. BMC Med. 2016 8;14 (1):210. doi:10.1186/s12916-016-0742-z
- Ferreira I, Ortigoza A, Moore P. Magnesium and malic acid supplement for fibromyalgia. Medwave. 2019 May 28;19(4):e7633. doi:10.5867/medwave.2019.04.7632
- Gerdle B, Forsgren MF, Bengtsson A, et al. Decreased muscle concentrations of ATP and PCR in the quadriceps muscle of fibromyalgia patients--a 31P-MRS study. Eur J Pain. 2013 Sep;17(8):1205-15. doi:10.1002/j.1532-2149.2013.00284.x
- Holton K. The role of diet in the treatment of fibromyalgia. Pain management. 2016 May;6(4):317-20. doi:10.2217/pmt-2016-0019
- Lengert N, Drossel B. In silico analysis of exercise intolerance in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome. Biophys Chem. 2015 Jul;202:21-31. doi:10.1016/j.bpc.2015.03.009.
- Metta V, Sampathb N, VM R, Iska A. Primary restless legs syndrome in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus : efficacy of magnesium & co enzyme q10 therapy. Journal of the Neurological Sciences. 2015 357(1):e271. doi:10.1016/j.jns.2015.08.952
- National Institutes of Health 2019. Magnesium Health Fact Sheet for Health Professionals. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/
- Nissani M. A bibliographical survey of bruxism with special emphasis on non-traditional treatment modalities. Journal of Oral Science, 200143(2):73-83. doi:10.2334/josnusd.43.73
- Porter NS, Jason LA, Boulton A, Bothne N, Coleman B. Alternative medical interventions used in the treatment and management of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. J Altern Complement Med. 2010 Mar;16(3):235-49. doi:10.1089/acm.2008.0376
- Reid S, Chalder T, Cleare A, Hotopf M, Wessely S. Chronic fatigue syndrome. BMJ Clin Evid. 2011 May 26;2011. pii: 1101.
- Schutten JC, Joosten MM, de Borst MH, Bakker SJL. Magnesium and Blood Pressure: A Physiology-Based Approach. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2018 25(3):244-250. doi:10.1053/j.ackd.2017.12.003
- Uysal N, Kizildag S, Yuce Z, et al. Timeline (bioavailability of magnesium compounds in hours: Which magnesium compound works best? Biol Trace Elem Res. 2019 Jan;187(1):128-136. doi:10.1007/s12011-018-1351-9
- Wanli G, Hussain N, Zongsuo L, Dongfeng Y. Magnesium deficiency in plants: an urgent problem, The Crop Journal, 2016 4(2): 83-91. doi:10.1016/j.cj.2015.11.003.
Caroline Thompson is a professional photojournalist who has been working for print and online publications since 1999. Her work has appeared in the "Sacramento Bee," "People Magazine," "Newsweek" and other publications. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in photojournalism from California State University at Hayward and a personal trainer certification from the university's Health and Fitness Institute.