Sodium bicarbonate, commonly referred to as baking soda, is commonly used to treat wounds at all stages of healing because of its disinfectant properties. Baking soda can help remove hardened scabs, prevent scars from forming and lower the risk of developing an infection at the site of a wound. Before treating any serious wound with baking soda, consult a physician.
Baking Soda Properties
When combined with water, an endothermic reaction turns baking soda into a mild antiseptic, according to the textbook "Biology: Life on Earth with Physiology." It is not toxic in small doses and unlikely to cause an allergic reaction because its only ingredients are sodium, hydrogen carbon and oxygen 3. It is highly effective at treating scalding when applied before the development of scabs and blisters.
Removing a Scab
The Side Effects of Sudocrem
When a wound is healing, repeated cleaning of the area can result in dry skin and a hard, itchy scab. Baking soda can help soften and remove the scab, but should only be used when the wound is no longer painful or seeping. "The Doctor's Book of Home Remedies" recommends mixing 2 to 3 tablespoons of baking soda with a half cup of water, then applying to the scab 12. Leave the paste on the wound for 15 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
- When a wound is healing, repeated cleaning of the area can result in dry skin and a hard, itchy scab.
- Baking soda can help soften and remove the scab, but should only be used when the wound is no longer painful or seeping. "
Cleaning a Scab
Baking soda has mild antiseptic and drying properties, and is effective at keeping a wound clean and preventing excessive oozing. It works best on scabs that are still soft and wounds that are still painful or itchy. Simply apply a paste of two to three tablespoons baking soda mixed with a half cup of water. The baking soda might fizz and bubble, and you might feel very mild burning. When the bubbling stops, rinse the baking soda from the wound.
- Baking soda has mild antiseptic and drying properties, and is effective at keeping a wound clean and preventing excessive oozing.
How to Heal Broken Skin Fast
After a scab has fallen off, keeping the wound clean and dry can enable further healing and reduce your chances of developing a scar, according to the "Mayo Clinic Book of Home Remedies." Soak a bandage in a solution containing 1 teaspoon of baking soda to one half cup of water and apply the bandage to the wound, removing the bandage daily and allowing the wound at least 12 hours of exposure to air without the bandage every day 2.
The Side Effects of Sudocrem
How to Heal Broken Skin Fast
How to Treat a Burn That Is Infected?
Ointments to Prevent Scarring
How to Lance a Wound
How to Treat Macerated Wounds
How to Use Aquacel
How to Keep an Abrasion From Scarring
How to Heal Blisters that Have Opened
How to Get Rid of Burn Marks With Turmeric
- Doctor's Book of Home Remedies; Editors of Prevention
- Mayo Clinic Book of Home Remedies; Mayo Clinic
- Biology: Life on Earth with Physiology; Gerald Audesirk, et al.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem. Compound Summary for CID 516892, Sodium bicarbonate.
- Hadzic M, Eckstein ML, Schugardt M. The impact of sodium bicarbonate on performance in response to exercise duration in athletes: A systematic review. J Sports Sci Med. 2019;18(2):271-281
- Ciancio SG. Baking soda dentifrices and oral health. J Am Dent Assoc. 2017;148(11S):S1-S3. doi:10.1016/j.adaj.2017.09.009
- Birt D, From L, Main J. Diagnosis and management of long-standing benign oral ulceration. Laryngoscope. 1980 May;90(5 Pt 1):758-68. PMID: 6990140.
- American College of Gastroenterology. Acid reflux.
- Hughes A, Brown A, Valento M. Hemorrhagic encephalopathy from acute baking soda ingestion. West J Emerg Med. 2016;17(5):619-22. doi:10.5811/westjem2016.6.30713
- Al-Abri SA, Olson KR. Baking soda can settle the stomach but upset the heart: Case files of the Medical Toxicology Fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco. J Med Toxicol. 2013;9(3):255-8. doi:10.1007/s13181-013-0300-4
- Krustrup P, Ermidis G, Mohr M. Sodium bicarbonate intake improves high-intensity intermittent exercise performance in trained young men. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015;12:25. doi:10.1186/s12970-015-0087-6
- McNaughton LR, Siegler J, Midgley A. Ergogenic effects of sodium bicarbonate. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2008;7(4):230-6. doi:10.1249/JSR.0b013e31817ef530
- de Brito-Ashurst I, Varagunam M, Raftery MJ, Yaqoob MM. Bicarbonate supplementation slows progression of CKD and improves nutritional status. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20(9):2075-84. doi:10.1681/ASN.2008111205
- Yang M, Zhong X, Yuan Y. Does baking soda function as a magic bullet for patients with cancer? A mini review. Integr Cancer Ther. 2020;19:1534735420922579. doi:10.1177/153473542092257
- Yang T, Doherty J, Zhao B, Kinchla AJ, Clark JM, He L. Effectiveness of commercial and homemade washing agents in removing pesticide residues on and in apples. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65(44):9744-9752. doi:10.1021/acs.jafc.7b03118
- Qamaruz-Zaman N, Kun Y, Rosli RN. Preliminary observation on the effect of baking soda volume on controlling odour from discarded organic waste. Waste Manag. 2015;35:187-90. doi:10.1016/j.wasman.2014.09.017
- Al-Abri SA, Kearney T. Baking soda misuse as a home remedy: case experience of the California Poison Control System. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2014;39(1):73-7. doi:10.1111/jcpt.12113
- Di Iorio BR, Bellasi A, Raphael KL, Santoro D, Aucella F, Garofano L, Ceccarelli M, Di Lullo L, Capolongo G, Di Iorio M, Guastaferro P, Capasso G; UBI Study Group. Treatment of metabolic acidosis with sodium bicarbonate delays progression of chronic kidney disease: the UBI Study. J Nephrol. 2019;32(6):989-1001. doi:10.1007/s40620-019-00656-5
Brenna Davis is a professional writer who covers parenting, pets, health and legal topics. Her articles have appeared in a variety of newspapers and magazines as well as on websites. She is a court-appointed special advocate and is certified in crisis counseling and child and infant nutrition. She holds degrees in developmental psychology and philosophy from Georgia State University.