Apple cider vinegar does not kill the virus that causes warts which is the human papilloma virus (HPV). However, the acid in the vinegar attacks the wart area which allows it to peel away from the healthy surrounding skin taking the virus with it. This method can be used on all types of warts except genital warts which are caused by a serious sexually transmitted disease and should be treated by your health care professional. Depending on the size of the wart it can take a week or two for the wart to be removed. Using this treatment on a planters wart can take a bit longer as this type of wart grows inward instead of lying flat on the skin.
- Apple cider vinegar does not kill the virus that causes warts which is the human papilloma virus (HPV).
- Using this treatment on a planters wart can take a bit longer as this type of wart grows inward instead of lying flat on the skin.
Soaking the wart in equal parts apple cider vinegar and warm water for a period of 15 to 20 minutes a day is one procedure. Although, this process does not work as quickly as the second method, it is not as likely to cause irritation to the skin surrounding the wart.
A piece of cotton cloth or cotton ball, soaked in apple cider vinegar, should be placed on the wart and then taped in place. This procedure should be done each night and then removed during the day.
Both procedures should continue until the wart core is completely removed. If either process is stopped before the core is gone, the wart could grow back.
- Soaking the wart in equal parts apple cider vinegar and warm water for a period of 15 to 20 minutes a day is one procedure.
- A piece of cotton cloth or cotton ball, soaked in apple cider vinegar, should be placed on the wart and then taped in place.
How to Remove Warts Using White Vinegar
If you know what to expect ahead of time, the stages of wart removal will not be so disconcerting.
Stage 1: The wart will swell and it may even throb, although some people do not experience this stage.
Stage 2: After a few days, the wart will turn darker until it is black.
Stage 3: It is important to allow the wart to come off of it’s own accord. If you peel it off you may find the core has not been removed.
- If you know what to expect ahead of time, the stages of wart removal will not be so disconcerting.
- Stage 1: The wart will swell and it may even throb, although some people do not experience this stage.
How to Remove Warts Using White Vinegar
How to Remove a Cauliflower Wart
How to Remove Plantar Warts With Tweezers
How to Remove Scalp Warts
How to Remove Warts Around the Eye
Home Remedies to Remove Warts on Fingers
How to Remove Hyperpigmentation Scars
How to Remove the Scar From a Tummy Tuck
What Causes Common Finger Warts?
How to Know When a Plantar Wart Is Completely Gone
- InformedHealth.org. Warts: Overview. Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG). Updated November 7, 2019.
- InformedHealth.org. What are the treatment options for warts? Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG). Updated November 7, 2019.
- Al Aboud AM, Nigam PK. Wart (Plantar, Verruca Vulgaris, Verrucae). Treasure Island, FL: StatPearls Publishing. Updated September 27, 2019.
- Liu J, Li H, Yang F, et al. Epidemiology and Clinical Profile of Cutaneous Warts in Chinese College Students: A Cross-Sectional and Follow-Up Study. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):15450. doi:10.1038/s41598-018-33511-x
- Goldman RD. Duct tape for warts in children: Should nature take its course?. Can Fam Physician. 2019;65(5):337-338.
- Cockayne S, Hewitt C, Hicks K, et al. Cryotherapy versus salicylic acid for the treatment of plantar warts (verrucae): a randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2011;342:d3271. doi:10.1136/bmj.d3271
- Baker DA, Ferris DG, Martens MG, et al. Imiquimod 3.75% cream applied daily to treat anogenital warts: combined results from women in two randomized, placebo-controlled studies. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2011;2011:806105. doi:10.1155/2011/806105
- Gaston A, Garry RF. Topical vitamin A treatment of recalcitrant common warts. Virol J. 2012;9:21. doi:10.1186/1743-422X-9-21
- Walczuk I, Eertmans F, Rossel B, et al. Efficacy and safety of three cryotherapy devices for wart treatment: A randomized, controlled, investigator-blinded, comparative study. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2018;8(2):203-16. doi:10.1007/s13555-017-0210-5
- Dalimunthe DA, Siregar R, Tanjung C. Comparative clinical efficacy between electrodesiccation with curettage and application of 80% phenol solution in treatment of common warts. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2018;6(2):326-9. doi:10.3889/oamjms.2018.074
- Chauhan PS, Mahajan VK, Mehta KS, Rawat R, Sharma V. The efficacy and safety of intralesional immunotherapy with measles, mumps, rubella virus vaccine for the treatment of common warts in adults. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2019;10(1):19-26. doi:10.4103/idoj.IDOJ_142_18
- Nofal A, Elkot R, Nofal E, Mazen M. Combination therapy versus monotherapy in the treatment of recalcitrant warts: A clinical and immunological study. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2018;2018;12848. doi:10.1111/jocd.12848
- Raghukumar S, Ravikumar BC, Vinay KN, et al. Intralesional vitamin D injection in the treatment of recalcitrant warts: A novel proposition. J Cutan Med Surg. 2017;21(4):320-4. doi:10.1177/1203475417704180
Karen Ellis has been a full-time writer since 2006. She is an expert crafter, with more than 30 years of experience in knitting, chrocheting, quilting, sewing, scrapbooking and other arts. She is an expert gardener, with lifelong experience. Ellis has taken many classes in these subjects and taught classes, as well.