Eczema, psoriasis and ringworm may seem unrelated but do have some things in common. They are all skin conditions that produce red itchy patches; both eczema and psoriasis may improve with exposure to sunlight. Arnica is an herbal medication that is applied to the skin and sometimes used as an oral homeopathic remedy. Traditionally, arnica has been used for its anti-inflammatory properties, as an antifungal and to relieve the pain of arthritic joints. Don’t use arnica without consulting a doctor.
Eczema is a chronic condition that may have an allergic component or result from an immune system malfunction, according to MayoClinic.com. Eczema causes red or brownish-gray skin patches, thickened or scaly skin and itching that may be severe, especially at night. Eczema usually starts in childhood. It can lead to skin infections and permanent eye damage if the skin around the eye is affected. Treatment usually includes corticosteroid creams, pills or injections and antihistamines to decrease itching.
- Eczema is a chronic condition that may have an allergic component or result from an immune system malfunction, according to MayoClinic.com.
- Eczema causes red or brownish-gray skin patches, thickened or scaly skin and itching that may be severe, especially at night.
Betaderm Side Effects
Psoriasis is thought to be an immune system disorder that affects skin cells, which build up rapidly on the skin and form thick red or silvery patches that itch. Like eczema, psoriasis is a chronic condition and in some patients may be accompanied by arthritis that causes painful, swollen joints, according to MayoClinic.com. It is usually treated with corticosteroids, synthetic vitamin D creams, coal tar derivatives and a variety of other skin medications. Severe psoriasis may also be treated with oral or injected medications such as retinoids, methotrexate and cyclosporine.
- Psoriasis is thought to be an immune system disorder that affects skin cells, which build up rapidly on the skin and form thick red or silvery patches that itch.
- Like eczema, psoriasis is a chronic condition and in some patients may be accompanied by arthritis that causes painful, swollen joints, according to MayoClinic.com.
Ringworm, also called tinea corporis, is a fungal infection of the skin. You will see a circular itchy red rash with healthy skin in the center. It is related to other fungal infections such as athlete’s foot and jock itch, according to MayoClinic.com. Ringworm will usually go away on its own, but may be treated with antifungal creams, and, if severe, may be treated with oral antifungal medications. Ringworm can be contagious and also affects pets such as dogs and cats.
- Ringworm, also called tinea corporis, is a fungal infection of the skin.
- Ringworm can be contagious and also affects pets such as dogs and cats.
Uses of Clobetasol Propionate Cream
Arnica is an herbal medication made from the arnica montana plant. It is commonly used in ointments and oils that are applied to unbroken skin. Arnica is used as an anti-inflammatory and for pain relief from aches, bruises and muscle sprains. As a homeopathic remedy, arnica is used orally for bleeding, bruising, diabetic retinopathy, diarrhea, osteoarthritis and stroke. It has also been used traditionally as a fungicide. The American Cancer Society says, however, research does not support most of the claims about its effectiveness 2.
- Arnica is an herbal medication made from the arnica montana plant.
- As a homeopathic remedy, arnica is used orally for bleeding, bruising, diabetic retinopathy, diarrhea, osteoarthritis and stroke.
Considerations and Warnings
Arnica has been promoted for use in the treatment of eczema, according to the American Cancer Society, but there is no evidence it is effective, according to MayoClinic.com 2. Arnica is used for arthritic pain but there’s no evidence that it relieves psoriatic arthritis. Although arnica has been used traditionally as an antifungal, there is no evidence it is effective for ringworm. Arnica can cause skin irritation and may even cause eczema, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center 1. Consult a doctor before using arnica.
Betaderm Side Effects
Uses of Clobetasol Propionate Cream
How to Use Rosehip Seed Oil
Light Brown Flaky Discoloration on the Skin
What Are the Benefits of Vitamin B-1 or Thiamine?
Allergic Reactions With Skin Blotches
How to Get Rid of Ringworm in Seven Days
Common Skin Rashes on the Face
AmLactin Lotion Side Effects
How to Stop Flea Bites from Itching
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Arnica
- American Cancer Society: Arnica
- Kriplani P, Guarve K, Baghael US. Arnica montana L. - a plant of healing: Review. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2017;69(8):925-45. doi:10.1111/jphp.12724
- Jakobs A, Steinmann S, Henrich SM, Schmidt TJ, Klempnauer KH. Helenalin acetate, a natural sesquiterpene lactone with anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer activity, disrupts the cooperation of CCAAT box/enhancer-binding protein β (C/EBPβ) and co-activator p300. J Biol Chem. 2016;291(50):26098-108. doi:10.1074/jbc.M116.748129
- Cameron M, Chrubasik S. Topical herbal therapies for treating osteoarthritis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;(5):CD010538. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD010538
- Iannitti T, Morales-Medina JC, Bellavite P, Rottigni V, Palmieri B. Effectiveness and safety of Arnica montana in post-surgical setting. Pain and Inflammation. Am J Ther. 2016;23(1):e184-97. doi:10.1097/MJT.0000000000000036
- Ho D, Jagdeo J, Waldorf HA. Is there a role for arnica and bromelain in prevention of post-procedure ecchymosis or edema? A systematic review of the literature. Dermatol Surg. 2016;42(4):445-63. doi:10.1097/DSS.0000000000000701
- Charlton F. Let's set the record straight! Traumatic tissue injury treated with homeopathic Arnica montana - A Injury therapists perspective. Int J Complement Alt Med. 2015;1(5):00032. doi:10.15406/ijcam.2015.01.00032
- Denisow-Pietrzyk M, Pietrzyk Ł, Denisow B. Asteraceae species as potential environmental factors of allergy. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2019;26(7):6290-300. doi:10.1007/s11356-019-04146-w
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Arnica. Updated March 6, 2018.
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Traditional Chinese medicine: What you need to know. Updated October 2013.
Beth Greenwood is an RN and has been a writer since 2010. She specializes in medical and health topics, as well as career articles about health care professions. Greenwood holds an Associate of Science in nursing from Shasta College.