18 July, 2017
Does the Yogi Fasting Tea Help with Weight Loss?
Yogi Healthy Fasting Tea is a combination of herbs that is meant to promote weight loss by suppressing appetite and detoxifying your body, according to the website GreenTeasDiet.com. Scientific research has produced mixed results with regard to the weight loss effects of the herbs contained in Yogi Fasting Tea. Consult your doctor for guidance in safe and appropriate weight loss before using this or other herbs or supplements.
Researchers of a study published in the September 2011 issue of "Nutrition Journal" found that the primary ingredient in Yogi Fasting Tea, Garcinia cambogia, does not promote weight loss. In the study, 86 overweight participants took 2 grams per day of Garcinia cambogia for 10 weeks. Results showed that supplementation did not produce significant change in body fat percentage. A study that appeared in the July 2008 issue of the journal "Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry" obtained different results. In this laboratory animal study, Garcinia cambogia decreased weight gain and abdominal fat deposits. Cambogia might promote weight loss by modulating several genes that regulate fat production, say researchers.
Hydroxy Citric Acid
A compound in Cambogia garcinia called hydroxy citric acid, or HCA, might act as an appetite suppressant, according to a study published in the September 2002 issue of the journal "Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry." HCA has the ability to increase levels of 5-hydroxy tryptophan, a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin, which contributes to appetite control. The study found HCA to be safe and effective at controlling appetite in laboratory animals. It also might be useful in the treatment of depression, insomnia and migraines, all conditions associated with serotonin deficiency.
Yogi Healthy Fasting Tea might help with weight loss by promoting detoxification. Ingredients such as alfalfa leaf, bacopa leaf, burdock, dandelion and yellow dock are said to assist with elimination of wastes and toxins, which accelerates weight loss. A study published in the September 2010 issue of the journal "Phytotherapy Research" found that dandelion extract protected liver cells of laboratory animals from the damaging effects of carbon tetrachloride, a common industrial chemical. Alfalfa promotes growth of healthy bacteria in your intestinal tract and improves bowel muscle activity, according to Dr. Bernard Jensen, author of "Dr. Jensen's Guide to Diet and Detoxification."
Yogi Healthy Fasting tea contains fennel, which also is a key ingredient in some herbal preparations sold for the purpose of increasing breast size, due to its high levels of phytoestrogens, according to herbalist Brigitte Mars, author of the book "Beauty by Nature." Also, the recommend 10 cups of tea per day might not be realistically attainable by some people. Talk to your doctor for guidance about appropriate use of Yogi Fasting Tea or any other herbal preparations for weight loss.
- Nutrition Journal: Does Glycine Max Leaves or Garcinia Cambogia Promote Weight-Loss or Lower Plasma Cholesterol in Overweight Individuals: A Randomized Control Trial
- Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry: Garcinia Cambogia Extract Ameliorates Visceral Adiposity in C57bl/6j Mice Fed on a High-Fat Diet
- GreenTeasDiet.com: Yogi Fasting Tea
- Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry: Safety and Mechanism of Appetite Suppression by a Novel Hydroxycitric Acid Extract
- Phytotherapy Research: Amelioration of Oxidative Stress by Dandelion Extract Through Cyp2e1 Suppression Against Acute Liver Injury Induced by Carbon Tetrachloride in Sprague-Dawley Rats
- Dr. Jensen's Guide to Diet and Detoxification
- The Fast Track One-Day Detox Diet: Boost Metabolism, Get Rid of Fattening Toxins"; Ann Louise Gittleman
- Beauty by Nature; Brigitte Mars
- amanaimagesRF/amana images/Getty Images