What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Calcium is a mineral that plays several essential roles in your body, including building strong bones and teeth, helping to regulate muscle function and maintaining healthy blood vessel dilation and contraction. Certain food sources of calcium may make acne worse for some people. However, more research is needed on the link between calcium and acne, so consult a dermatologist for more information.
The Western Diet and Acne
Some of the most common sources of calcium in the Western diet are dairy foods, such as milk, cheese and yogurt. But while calcium-rich dairy foods may be good for your bone health and other functions, they may also aggravate acne due to their hormone-disrupting effects 3.
Dairy and Acne
What Is D Calcium Pantothenate?
; 2008'). These hormones can trigger increases of the wrong types of hormones in your body and lead to side effects such a increased oil production in your skin, which is one of the primary causes of acne.
If you get your daily dose of calcium primarily from dairy foods and you notice that they make your acne worse, choose more skin-friendly sources of calcium. These include:
- bok choy
- Swiss chard
Unlike dairy foods, these calcium-rich choices help to stabilize insulin levels — as they are low in calories and rich in fiber — and thereby keep inflammation under control. Canned sardines and salmon are also good calcium choices and contain anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids.
Fiber's Effects on Acne
If you have a medical problem, such as osteoporosis, do not change your dietary sources of calcium without consulting your doctor first 1. If you’re not getting enough calcium in your diet, your doctor can also recommend a good supplement to take. Also, if you’ve been treating acne unsuccessfully with dietary changes and over-the-counter remedies, such as benzoyl peroxide products, it’s time to book an appointment with a dermatologist. Acne can take a toll on your skin, self esteem and social life — but with the right treatments, it doesn’t have to.
- If you have a medical problem, such as osteoporosis, do not change your dietary sources of calcium without consulting your doctor first 1.
- Also, if you’ve been treating acne unsuccessfully with dietary changes and over-the-counter remedies, such as benzoyl peroxide products, it’s time to book an appointment with a dermatologist.
What Is D Calcium Pantothenate?
Fiber's Effects on Acne
Is It Possible to Get Rid of Acne in Two Days?
Can Lactose Intolerance Cause Adult Acne?
7-Day Detox Treatment for Acne
Home Remedy for an Infected Pimple
What Are the Skin Benefits of Calcium?
Are Carrots Good for Acne?
Are Brown Rice and Sweet Potatoes Good for Acne?
What Are the Causes of Extremely Oily Skin at Middle Age?
- Office of Dietary Supplements: Calcium
- “Prescription for Drug Alternatives”; Mark Stengler, N.D., et al.; 2008
- “The Complete A-Z Nutrition Encyclopedia”; Leslie Beck, R.D.; 2010
- USDA National Nutrient Database: Milk, Nonfat, Fluid, Without Added Vitamin A and Vitamin D (Fat Free Or Skim)
- Colorado State University: Western Diet Found to Influence Acne...; Jennifer Dimas; December 5, 2002
- Bolland, MJ, et. al. Calcium supplements with or without vitamin D and risk of cardiovascular events: reanalysis of the Women's Health Initiative limited access dataset and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2011 Apr 19;342:d2040. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.d2040
- Reid IR. The roles of calcium and vitamin D in the prevention of osteoporosis. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 27: 389-398. DOI:10.1016/s0889-8529(05)70011-6
- Chen M, Pan A, Malik VS, Hu FB. Effects of dairy intake on body weight and fat: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012;96(4):735-747. DOI:10.3945/ajcn.112.037119
- Williams V, Rawat A, Vignesh P, Shandilya JK, Gupta A, Singh S. Fc-gamma receptor expression profile in a North-Indian cohort of pediatric-onset systemic lupus erythematosus: An observational study. Int J Rheum Dis. 2019;22(3):449-457. doi: 10.6061/clinics/2012(07)22
- Reid IR, Birstow SM, Bolland MJ. Calcium and Cardiovascular Disease. Endocrinol Metab (Seoul). 2017;32(3):339-349. doi: 10.3803/EnM.2017.32.3.339
- MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia, "Milk-alkali syndrome"
- Bolland MJ, Grey A, Avenell A, Gamble GD, Reid IR. Calcium supplements with or without vitamin D and risk of cardiovascular events: reanalysis of the Women’s Health Initiative limited access dataset and meta-analysis. BMJ. d2040-d2040. DOI:10.1136/bmj.d2040
- Chan Soo Shin, et. al. Endocrinol Metab (Seoul). 30(1): 27–34. DOI: 10.3803/EnM.2015.30.1.27
- Linus Pauling Institute. Calcium.
- National Institute of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. Calcium.
- Weingarten MAMA, Zalmanovici Trestioreanu A, Yaphe J. Dietary calcium supplementation for preventing colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD003548. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003548.pub4
- Zemel, MB et. al. Calcium and dairy acceleration of weight and fat loss during energy restriction in obese adults. Obes Res. 2004 Apr;12(4):582-90. DOI: 10.1038/oby.2004.67
Kay Uzoma has been writing professionally since 1999. Her work has appeared in "Reader’s Digest," "Balance," pharmaceutical and natural health newsletters and on websites such as QualityHealth.com. She is a former editor for a national Canadian magazine and holds a Bachelor of Arts in political science from York University.